Gil Brandt makes big statement about Rams’ offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stump23

Rookie
I think Edwards is a beast....seems tougher and stronger than Noteboom IMO. Our young line does have a lot to prove, but as the group seems to think, we did shore up a lot of shit the last several weeks of the season. Evans and Corbett were key. If Hav is half the guy he was 2-3 yrs ago, our depth looks very good. Fingers crossed we can see some action very soon!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Because you don't want to give up on a draft pick that quickly, in my opinion.

But there are few players from our team last year that on the bubble more than Allen.

As Bonifay Ram has pointed out, they brought in four guys to compete for that Center spot and re-signed Blythe.

Allen is pretty much a goner without a strong miracle Camp.

May the best man win! Backup Offensive Center, the battle within a battle. Please don't get hurt Blythe!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gil Brandt makes big statement about Rams’ offensive line

Again, I roll with Team Brandt. He’s a living cliché: He has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know. So, the fact that Brandt is making this stance should give you hope that this unit can be successful in 2020.

The Rams definitely need it to happen.

That's the problem with Gil. He's forgotten more and more about football each year. He's been horrible the last 8 years or so. I'd be willing to bet that he mistakenly put the Rams on that list and he's too proud to admit. Nobody else on the planet considers the Rams Oline to be a top unit in the NFL this year.

dang

Legend
It’s the prototypical floor vs ceiling assessment. The Rams current OL status is much better than #31 in the league. At the same time their ceiling may hit #6 but until that is shown that is just a projected ceiling. I just hope we have a relatively healthy OL this year and that we identify a solid OC and backfill for Whit at LOT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Way too many questions remain with this 2020 OL that needs to be answered before the start of the regular season for me to think that this OL is close to being as good as this article states. I am certainly not down on this OL potential either. So many unknowns at this time..........

Very Big Questions do exist @ OT & center. #1 OT Whitworth's seriously advanced age wear & tear. #2- OT Havenstein's complete breakdown of pass blocking skills before his injury & #3-OT Joseph Noteboom's ultra poor showing in 6 starts in 2019 & a newly reconstructed knee to be place on trial. #4-OT The only healthy OT who started in 2019 Bobby Evans can only play one OT post @ a time.

#1 OC Blythe- Can this declining starting OG over the last two seasons muster up enough to reclaim a starting post @ OC. #2- Third season OC Allen's chances to earn a roster spot on the team are an incertitude. After those two questions on Blythe & Allen all the Rams have is four UDFA's fighting for a back up OC position.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Very True, but now we live in a copy & paste society and most sports writer's & analyses have never been soiled with an original thought.

Original thoughts that were wrong end up in the deep abyss never to be seen again. Although that abyss is getting so full they'll need to start another one.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I expect our line to start the season as middle of the road range, 15th to 16th.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see our offensive line end the season in the top 10.

Soul Surfer, You and I are seeing things the same.

"Hell....
we did that last year and our line was a mess till the second half of the season." - Soul Surfer

Mistake number one, Bobbleheads don't realize how much coaching can change the equation.
And Our Oline coach Ain't No Joke.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Brandt is now my hero and he nailed it with the group think comment. He may be wrong but that's fine. I've already beaten the dead horse about the OLine not being the root cause of the problems last year...so i agree with his take.

Forgive me for not knowing/reading your thoughts on root cause of problems last year.
Would you mind elaborating once again or throwing me a link of your thoughts on this.
As far as the group think issue, I think it's a combination of laziness and ignorance.
With ignorance being the child of laziness. JMHO.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Forgive me for not knowing/reading your thoughts on root cause of problems last year.
Would you mind elaborating once again or throwing me a link of your thoughts on this.
As far as the group think issue, I think it's a combination of laziness and ignorance.
I thought invention was the child of laziness? Necessity may be the mother, but laziness is the father.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A stale, predictable scheme that gave familiarity advantages to defenses and neutered our once fresh and successful offense, basically. It started in late 2018 and continued last season until McV finally gave defenses something else to defend besides 11 personnel play action.
https://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/remove-your-homerism-predict-the-of-wins.61282/post-1319121

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I thought invention was the child of laziness? Necessity may be the mother, but laziness is the father.
giphy.gif