Gil Brandt makes big statement about Rams’ offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully, our FO learned something from the dismal performance of our OL last season. But I will point, and to Gil's credit, we had a top tier OL two seasons ago. There was a reason we went to the SB.

Still not sure how C Allen is still with this organization tho...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why does everything have to be either amazing or terrible? The line is probably not going to be in the top 6 as Brandt appears to suggest, but that doesn't mean it cant still be a hell of a lot better than it was last year.
I expect our line to start the season as middle of the road range, 15th to 16th.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see our offensive line end the season in the top 10.

Hell....
we did that last year and our line was a mess till the second half of the season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Still not sure how C Allen is still with this organization tho...
Because you don't want to give up on a draft pick that quickly, in my opinion.

But there are few players from our team last year that on the bubble more than Allen.

As Bonifay Ram has pointed out, they brought in four guys to compete for that Center spot and re-signed Blythe.

Allen is pretty much a goner without a strong miracle Camp.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Brandt is now my hero and he nailed it with the group think comment. He may be wrong but that's fine. I've already beaten the dead horse about the OLine not being the root cause of the problems last year...so i agree with his take.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why does everything have to be either amazing or terrible? The line is probably not going to be in the top 6 as Brandt appears to suggest, but that doesn't mean it cant still be a hell of a lot better than it was last year.
Because....social media.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The Rams led the league w/ the fewest sacks. Now hurries and pressures allowed.........

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm glad that Brandt is finally following my lead....

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Yes, but how do you rate top 6? If the Rams have a top 6 offense, I would say the O-line is more than doing its job.

The Rams were 7th in total yards last year despite numerous issues in the line play. They need to improve in execution all around including run blocking, third down conversion, giving Goff some more time, etc.

As several of us have pointed out, the line doesn't need to dominate-- although we all wish it could as when Saffold and Whit were blowing open holes for Gurley-- it just needs to be really competent and consistent in its execution. Of course, it would help if Havenstein and Edwards could pummel some opponents in the run game too.

Does anyone remember the great zone blocking schemes and running game of the Denver Bronco championship teams? Seems to me they were built more on an outstanding zone blocking scheme and superior execution than bulk and power, yet the offense was remarkably successful.

Brandt is not crazy. It could actually happen for the Rams if the line comes together and executes consistently.

Paydirt

UDFA
They're pinning a lot of hopes on Blythe, and Havenstein coming back. Only way they make it to elite level, is if those 2 moves turnout to be home runs .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without reading comments I"m going to guess there are 3 types of responses. Those of us that appreciate his confidence in the line rebounding. Those that say "You're God damned right" (the Walter Whites). And those that just laugh at this because they've been complaining about the OLine and how shitty is is and we have no shot and nothing to look forward to but doom and gloom.

How'd I do?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Brandt is now my hero and he nailed it with the group think comment. He may be wrong but that's fine. I've already beaten the dead horse about the OLine not being the root cause of the problems last year...so i agree with his take.
Yea not just the line. I saw Gurley totally miss holes and go the wrong way countless times and as much as I like Goff and think he will be really good, he missed a lot of open guys. Not just throwing and missing, but picking the wrong receiver. You all saw it. Like I have said before, the hang over was real. Now that that is out of the way, the team will be refocused and look the fuck out any team in the way.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Maybe we should bring back Todd Gurley ?? I will always say that hold in the Super Bowl was BS on Sullivan & cost The Rams a SuperBowl.

I ask the same question about Edwards & Evans 2020 draft status no ones has ever answered.

The schedule is always a thing I look at going into a season. Tampa Bay again ?? Maybe this season The Rams can beat them, but losing at home was a killer. 4-0 would have been nice.

McSnead trading a 5th for Corbett is totally over looked by Ram fans that were calling for a Offensive Lineman to be drafted in 2nd rd,especially after Gurley got released.

Austin Blythe & Andrew Withworth have been such solid pick ups by McKromer. I think Big Rob was embarrassed by his play & will show leadership.

2018 draft is why The Rams have not improved to a playoff level. Snead always talks about winning in April.

2017 & 2019 The Rams really did an outstanding job producing young talent.

Big question Mark about Kiser & OO on D” , but the injury’s to Noteboom & Allen really hurt.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yea not just the line. I saw Gurley totally miss holes and go the wrong way countless times and as much as I like Goff and think he will be really good, he missed a lot of open guys. Not just throwing and missing, but picking the wrong receiver. You all saw it. Like I have said before, the hang over was real. Now that that is out of the way, the team will be refocused and look the fuck out any team in the way.

My issue with Gurley was his attitude. Right after he tweeted about NFL players not signing the deal & Donald agreed was when The Rams finally just cut him.
I was told how dumb I was for wanting The Rams to trade him. Also said in December how good this young group of Offensive Line was playing. The truth was in Training camp they didn’t look all that good. Mcvay not starting players in preseason really helped there growth.

I was not impressed with Henderson for the most part. Henderson did flash,but was banged up a lot & looked over whelmed. In preseason he should have flashed more later in games at least ?
Malcom Brown seemed to take awhile to be 100% from his 2018 injury? What happened to Kelly ?? Another 2018 draft ?? Got to win in APRIL Les SNEAD!!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I really liked Hendo @So Ram, watch his highlights. I think he'll make a great pairing w/ Akers.
I thank Todd for his time with the Rams. He was special. He did have some attitude, but that's not what concerned me. While Obo & AD post workouts, Todd posts social appearances, eSports tourneys, etc. Todd's head is not in the game. He cared less & less as the 2019 season wore on. And he was NEVER forthright about what's going on with his knee. Nobody on the Rams was. At this point I'm ready to move on & I"m excited about Hendo & Akers!!! these guys are going to be electric.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams offensive line finished 1st in adjusted sack rate in 2019
By Kenneth Arthur
1591764261567.png

In following up to Bill Williamson’s post on Monday about Gil Brandt ranking the LA Rams as one of the best offensive lines in football next season, I wanted to highlight what they say about the unit on FootballOutsiders. What was surprising to me wasn’t that they had slipped overall of course, but that they improved in adjusted sack rate.

As Brandt noted on Twitter, there surely is a “PFF group think” that impacts how people talk about a lot of things in the NFL, but perhaps more so than anything it impacts the offensive line talk because there’s so little that the average person can do to dispute. Or even the above average person and the great person. Few, if any, people seem to understand the magic that goes into a successful line other than dumping a ton of first round picks and money into it. So any resource that claims to have a tangible number to assign to a player or a whole line unit gets a bump merely by having something to share.

“Player A had the highest grade, Player B had the lowest grade” and so on. It’s simply something and there are few outlets providing an alternative to offensive line evaluation unfortunately.

One such place is FootballOutsiders and they too aren’t going to make you feel warm and fuzzy about knowing which players and units are good and which are bad. They do a great job though of getting as close as they can to fair analysis of what the line could potentially be responsible for when it comes to run blocking and pass blocking, mostly featuring adjusted line yards for the former and adjusted sack rate for the latter.

In 2018, the LA Rams ranked first in adjusted line yards at 5.49 yards per attempt. According to FO, “a team with a high ranking in adjusted line yards and a low ranking on open field yards is heavily dependent on its offensive line to make the run game work.” The Rams were 16th in open field yards. The quarterbacks were sacked 33 times and LA ranked sixth in adjusted sack rate.

Then in 2019, the Rams fell to 19th in adjusted line yards at 4.27. Consider just how good they were a year before as the New Orleans Saints now ranked first with 4.92 adjusted line yards. They were 29th in open field yards. Perhaps the line did a little bit better in the running game than has been advertised.

As a pass blocking unit, LA moved up to first in adjusted sack rate after allowing 22. Now, sacks are heavily dependent on scheme and the risks that a quarterback is willing to take more so than simply watching offensive linemen get beat over and over again by guys who they weren’t supposed to get beat by so quickly. But the Rams didn’t come close to getting beat up overall in sacks allowed.

Next season, the Rams bring back pretty much the whole unit and few new faces. This has been concerning for many but it could be that Sean McVay and Les Snead agree with Brandt that they won’t do too poorly with the guys they had last season. Then again, trusting anyone to tell you how an offensive line will do next season is almost certainly a mistake.

Last edited:

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
I think, with the experience these young guys got and with the injured returning to duty, Kromer will field a hell of a line. They got this!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Sounds like Gil Brandt is not a fan of Pro Football Focus.

I have never been a fan of PFF; and for the most simple of reasons. I don’t understand it.

Not being dense or obtuse. Have read a lot about PFF, but still can’t figure out whether its analysis, or the people doing it, are sound.

A better example is the QBR formula for rating QBs. Did not have a good understanding of how it is determined, so I researched it.

Unlike PFF, the QBR is something that can be understood but it takes some time and patience.

Couple years ago, I took the time to research the QBR. Again, it’s not simple or quick to explain.

In my opinion, the QBR is garbage because it’s too subjective. However, most people accept it despite not understanding it

I have similar opinion about PFF.

QBR=Bovine Feces