Gibson not sure if his future is with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/rams/2013/03/07/brandon-gibson-free-agency-stevie-johnson/1970173/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... n/1970173/</a>

usp-nfl_-st_-louis-rams-at-buffalo-bills-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

Brandon Gibson is in New York this week, working on an internship in financial services.

"Yeah, I want to figure out how money works and what to do with it," the St. Louis Rams wide receiver told USA TODAY Sports by phone Wednesday.

That's fitting, considering Gibson is about to find out how money works when it comes to NFL free agency.

With much of the offseason focus on the Pittsburgh Steelers' Mike Wallace, Green Bay Packers' Greg Jennings and New England Patriots' Wes Welker at the top of the wide receiver class, Gibson is flying under the radar as part of the second tier. But with a solid stat line in his 2012 contract year (51 catches for 691 yards and five touchdowns), he's arguably one of the more underrated free agents out there.

Buffalo Bills wideout Stevie Johnson began to change that perception Wednesday morning when he made a public pitch to bring Gibson to Buffalo during an appearance on NFL Network. Johnson and Gibson are both represented by C.J. LaBoy of Octagon Football, so Johnson surely is trying to pull some strings behind the scenes.

Johnson and the Bills can expect some competition for Gibson's services. All of the teams in the AFC East need help at wide receiver, and at least a couple of them could make a run at Gibson.

"I might not be Mike Wallace or Wes Welker, but I think I can be pretty decent and definitely help a team win a championship. That's the ultimate goal here," said Gibson.

"Hopefully it all works out, but I'm sure I'll be able to be viewed as one of the better players in this free agency class."

Gibson's pitch for a payday could compare to Brian Hartline's. The Miami Dolphins are deep into negotiations to re-sign Hartline (career-best 74 catches and 1,083 receiving yards in 2012), according to a person informed of the progress of talks between the sides. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, said Hartline is being offered more than $6 million per season.

In four seasons with Miami, Hartline has 183 catches for 2,753 yards and six touchdowns. In his four-year career, Gibson has nine fewer catches and 663 fewer yards but three more touchdowns. Gibson's deal won't be as lucrative as Hartline's, but it might wind up being closer in value than it might seem.

"Sure, you want to take a look at the numbers. Maybe our numbers are very similar," Gibson said. "Brian had a great year last year, went over a thousand yards. I had statistically my best year last year, and I think I'm only going to get better.

"So whether I (am) a first option, a second option or even a third option, I think I'm capable of being a receiver who can be depended on and be a big part of an offense."

Just not the Rams' offense. Gibson and fellow St. Louis wide receiver Danny Amendola are both free agents.

[hil]"I'm not sure we both have agreed there's a future for me there,"[/hil] Gibson said of the team. "And I believe with their two draft picks (last year), Chris Givens and Brian Quick, they're choosing to go in a different direction. I have no problem with that because I have all the faith in the world in those guys, and I think they're tremendously talented and have so much upside. You've got to want to get a fresh start with new talent. They're going to be great weapons for (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) for years to come."

If Johnson gets his way, Gibson will be a weapon for Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tarvaris Jackson or whoever the Bills' quarterback is this season.

"Stevie and I have a great relationship, and our careers are somewhat similar," Gibson said. "It took him a while to get going, but once he was able to walk into a starting role, he was never able to look back. He's definitely one of the best receivers and someone I really look up to.

"It feels good to be wanted by him, I guess, and hopefully a few other teams."

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think we'll end up keeping either Gibson or Amendola, but not both. Then getting one more high-pick WR in the draft. I'd rather be keeping Amendola, but not for #1 WR $$$, so Tavon Austin could be a good replacement if we end up letting Amendola go. Then keeping Gibson around a little longer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"I might not be Mike Wallace or Wes Welker, but I think I can be pretty decent and definitely help a team win a championship. That's the ultimate goal here," said Gibson.

"So whether I (am) a first option, a second option or even a third option, I think I'm capable of being a receiver who can be depended on and be a big part of an offense."

Truth. It's nice when Gibson himself echoes the things I say about him. He knows his limitations, but he also knows he's not the scrub some of the fans proclaim him to be. I'd REALLY like to see him become a third option in THIS offense, because I really believe that's when he'll flourish. As a complementary guy who has the benefit of being covered by a team's third corner or a safety. I liken him to Troy Brown, myself. A guy who can do whatever you ask of him, and one who will always be dependable.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It sounds like maybe the decision has been made, it doesn't sound like the front office are looking at keeping either Danny or Gibson :s

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Gibson will have a fine career.

I just don't see how he fits here. We need to upgrade the talent and someone needs to go.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love DA but looking at it from a business standpoint, he has to go. He is going to want too much money for a guy that is usually used as a safety outlet, making 10 yard or less receptions and can't seem to stay on the field. The guy has fight, looks to do anything asked of him and probably is good for the team at practice and in the locker room but...............

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:
Don't go Gibby :cry:

IMO we can't have himand DA, so which?

Honestly? All things considered, I'd take Gibby. He'd probably be a couple million less and IMO - every bit as valuable.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Honestly? All things considered, I'd take Gibby. He'd probably be a couple million less and IMO - every bit as valuable.
+1
I've been a Gibby supporter for a few years now. Especially since DX and *Donny Hello Kitty Avery were given every opportunity to man up and try to stay on the field for more than a handful of plays or quarters.

Gibson is what he is(we all know he's an average NFL reciever),but he's reliable, stays on the field,knows the offense,knows Sam and if we can keep him here on the cheap as a 3rd or 4th option its a no brainer IMO.

I have no patience for fragile football players,even if they're talented...good guys, it just doesn't make sense to keep them around if they cant show up,contribute and finish games.

*Avery's games started statistic never reflected just how often he had to leave the game for stretches when getting hit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:

That and Austin looks like an upgrade to DA.
Are you speaking of Pettis or Tavon?

I'm also holding onto the hope that Tavon Austin falls to us at #22 somehow. I love Danny A....but IMO his body just doesn't match his desire and competiveness. Its too bad. Of course,thats the only question concerning T.Austin too,so its a gamble either way.

jap

Legend
mojorizen7 said:
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:

I'm also holding onto the hope that Tavon Austin falls to us at #22 somehow. I love Danny A....but IMO his body just doesn't match his desire and competiveness. Its too bad. Of course,thats the only question concerning T.Austin so its a gamble.

To these eyes not only does Tavon look tougher than Danny-A, he appears much better at avoiding big hits.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
jap said:
mojorizen7 said:
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:

I'm also holding onto the hope that Tavon Austin falls to us at #22 somehow. I love Danny A....but IMO his body just doesn't match his desire and competiveness. Its too bad. Of course,thats the only question concerning T.Austin so its a gamble.

To these eyes not only does Tavon look tougher than Danny-A, he appears much better at avoiding big hits.
Avoiding big hits?...I really don't think anyone could be good at that...regardless Danny's injuries had nothing to do with get hit both 2011 he fell on his arm 2012 he fell on he's shoulder lolll that darn little jider bug I love the guy

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BuiltRamTough said:
jap said:
mojorizen7 said:
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Avoiding big hits?...I really don't think anyone could be good at that...regardless Danny's injuries had nothing to do with get hit both 2011 he fell on his arm 2012 he fell on he's shoulder lolll that darn little jider bug I love the guy

I see what Jap is saying. Some players always seem to get hit hard. Pettis is another example. Pettis hasn't gotten injured by the hits... but he's always getting leveled.

I am really neutral on Amendola. He's an awesome player. But, he's got an injury history and I don't see it getting better in time.

jap

Legend
BuiltRamTough said:
jap said:
mojorizen7 said:
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Danny-A has absorbed a lot of big hits since he joined the Rams. He was here before 2011. And, no, I don't think it's all just bad luck.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah idk about Danny A avoiding big hits...he's been the only focal point of offense for the opposition for a couple years now(just like SJ). Danny has tried very hard to move the chains and win games for a team that has had no offensive weapons. You're going to take some punishment taking on that role.

I dont fault him for being careless with his style. Its just that his body isn't built for taking that type of football punishment. He's fearless and i admire that,but is Amendola a smart investment?

Idk...

jap

Legend
mojorizen7 said:
Yeah idk about Danny A avoiding big hits...he's been the only focal point of offense for the opposition for a couple years now(just like SJ). Danny has tried very hard to move the chains and win games for a team that has had no offensive weapons. You're going to take some punishment taking on that role.

I dont fault him for being careless with his style. Its just that his body isn't built for taking that type of football punishment. He's fearless and i admire that,but is Amendola a smart investment?

Idk...

Granted, however that is generally what I have been getting at although I didn't state it well. He does not have the durability of a true #1/2 wideout.

Still, a primetime player in this league has to recognize when to give up on a play and just go down, if only to stay on the field. You can't contribute very much from the sidelines or the IR list. I remember christening Danny "Crash Amendola" that first season with us because he got shellacked so often yet refused to leave the field to recover.

We had a similar situation to this in the GSOT days when the Wizard of Az bolted for Detroit chasing #1/2 WR money. That decision shortened his career considerably as it was one injury after another afterward.

If we had true #1 and #2 wideouts I have no doubt Danny would have a much better injury history. However, the pre-Fish Rams dug so many salary cap holes they were not able to service the OL or WR/TE crew well enough to achieve better balance in talent.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
jap said:
mojorizen7 said:

Idk...

Granted, however that is generally what I have been getting at although I didn't state it well. He does not have the durability of a true #1/2 wideout.

Still, a primetime player in this league has to recognize when to give up on a play and just go down, if only to stay on the field. You can't contribute very much from the sidelines or the IR list. I remember christening Danny "Crash Amendola" that first season with us because he got shellacked so often yet refused to leave the field to recover.

We had a similar situation to this in the GSOT days when the Wizard of Az bolted for Detroit chasing #1/2 WR money. That decision shortened his career considerably as it was one injury after another afterward.

If we had true #1 and #2 wideouts I have no doubt Danny would have a much better injury history. However, the pre-Fish Rams dug so many salary cap holes they were not able to service the OL or WR/TE crew well enough to achieve better balance in talent.
Point taken Jap.
I dont disagree with you. Amendola doesn't have an NFL body to absorb #1 WR punishment. He's a slot guy. Problem is that he's been THE GUY. I think he'd be excellent with two studs on the outside. Too bad. That time may have passed and taken its toll on him already. Wrong place wrong time...

I would actually prefer that he goes somewhere else in FA and gets a chance to play with quality outside recievers. Rams are putting things together nicely under Fisher/Snead....but Danny
should be playing the slot for an elite team with two quality studs on the outside....otherwise he'll probably just IR himself into NFL history as a high effort guy. A shame really.