Gibson not sure if his future is with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
mojorizen7 said:
jap said:
mojorizen7 said:
Yeah idk about Danny A avoiding big hits...he's been the only focal point of offense for the opposition for a couple years now(just like SJ). Danny has tried very hard to move the chains and win games for a team that has had no offensive weapons. You're going to take some punishment taking on that role.

I dont fault him for being careless with his style. Its just that his body isn't built for taking that type of football punishment. He's fearless and i admire that,but is Amendola a smart investment?

Idk...

Granted, however that is generally what I have been getting at although I didn't state it well. He does not have the durability of a true #1/2 wideout.

Still, a primetime player in this league has to recognize when to give up on a play and just go down, if only to stay on the field. You can't contribute very much from the sidelines or the IR list. I remember christening Danny "Crash Amendola" that first season with us because he got shellacked so often yet refused to leave the field to recover.

We had a similar situation to this in the GSOT days when the Wizard of Az bolted for Detroit chasing #1/2 WR money. That decision shortened his career considerably as it was one injury after another afterward.

If we had true #1 and #2 wideouts I have no doubt Danny would have a much better injury history. However, the pre-Fish Rams dug so many salary cap holes they were not able to service the OL or WR/TE crew well enough to achieve better balance in talent.
Point taken Jap.
I dont disagree with you. Amendola doesn't have an NFL body to absorb #1 WR punishment. He's a slot guy. Problem is that he's been THE GUY. I think he'd be excellent with two studs on the outside. Too bad. That time may have passed and taken its toll on him already. Wrong place wrong time...

I would actually prefer that he goes somewhere else in FA and gets a chance to play with quality outside recievers. Rams are putting things together nicely under Fisher/Snead....but Danny
should be playing the slot for an elite team with two quality studs on the outside....otherwise he'll probably just IR himself into NFL history as a high effort guy. A shame really.

Adam Schein recommends that Danny sign a 1-year deal with the Rams, probably to try and prove he can stay healthy for a season before going after FA dollars the following season. However, for that to happen we need legitimate #1 & #2 wideouts to step forward this coming season. Danny will be Danny, and, if he doesn't have dangerous wideouts drawing the bulk of the coverage away from him, he will probably take more than his share of vicious hits again.

I like the idea of the Rams going after a big body like Jared Cook, as long as they get him at a reasonable price. Given the quality of the defenses in the wild, wild NFC West, fielding tough, big bodied receivers at WR & TE is not a bad idea. If you have to field smaller guys, use quick twitch demons like Tavon and Chris Givens who usually don't give defenses a chance to get solid clean shots.