Gibby

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not a bad start for him. 7 receptions for 77 yards, and targeted 6 times on 3rd down with 5 completions (all for 1st downs). I think he'll continue to improve, but level out soon. He's always been a real nice target on 3rd down, and I'm glad he's finding his niche over there in Miami.

Good dude.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Not a bad start for him. 7 receptions for 77 yards, and targeted 6 times on 3rd down with 5 completions (all for 1st downs). I think he'll continue to improve, but level out soon. He's always been a real nice target on 3rd down, and I'm glad he's finding his niche over there in Miami.

Good dude.
Love me some Gibby, and not afraid to say it.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I thought he was a nice compliment type player.

He and Pettis fill the same role IMO.

FRO

Legend
He will do much better going against teams lesser CBs rather going against their top guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
X said:

Good dude.
What's not to like? I never understood the irrational hate for the guy. It's not his fault he was forced into a #1 role when he's basically just a great complementary receiver. Now that he's benefiting from being covered by nickel corners, I think he'll have a pretty decent year. And I'm really surprised that he's taken to the slot so well already. Who'd a thunk?

V3

Hall of Fame
Meh, I got tired of him dropping easy passes. He could make some tough catches but then drop the easy ones at the worst times. He was a good pick up at the time but we can do better than him.

Psycho_X

Legend
Good player... .not great but good. However, like been said, he didn't bring anything new to our team we didn't already have in Pettis. I fully expect him to have a good 600-900 yards in Miami.

TexasRam

Legend
We really had to upgrade gibby to move forward. And so we did......and did.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:
Meh, I got tired of him dropping easy passes. He could make some tough catches but then drop the easy ones at the worst times. He was a good pick up at the time but we can do better than him.
Yeah, I'm not saying we should have kept him. Just glad he's doing well. I always said that if Gibby ended up the 4th receiver, or traded, then we're meeting our objective of upgrading the receiving corps. He's just a genuinely good dude and I like him is all.

And I'll tell you this much. His 68% catch percentage was better than EIGHTY other receivers last year.
(ranked 24th out of 104)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Crucial drops at the worst times and DUMB penalties, with an occasional great catch, is how I remember Gibson.

One of his bonehead mistakes cost the Rams the win against San Francisco.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DR RAM said:
X said:

Good dude.
Me too. Never hurt and made some big catches here. Reliable JAG.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never been a Gibson fan but I do wish him luck. Never seemed like a bad guy but just wasn't a good player. If you're not a talented guy, at least be a smart/reliable player, Gibson wasn't that either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Good dude.
What's not to like? I never understood the irrational hate for the guy. It's not his fault he was forced into a #1 role when he's basically just a great complementary receiver. Now that he's benefiting from being covered by nickel corners, I think he'll have a pretty decent year. And I'm really surprised that he's taken to the slot so well already. Who'd a thunk?

i can't lie. the day he caught a ball and ran backwards to make a play on 3rd down in the 4th qtr instead of just leaning forward and getting the 1st down to seal the win against the whiners in 2010 forever had me against him. and it wasn't because he did that once, he did the same thing again on the next series in the game. then the whiners got the ball and drove down the field for the win. from that day on i saw him as a selfish player who makes bonehead plays. the fact that the loss in the end cost the rams a playoff spot made it worse.

jjab360

Legend
kurtfaulk said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Good dude.

i can't lie. the day he caught a ball and ran backwards to make a play on 3rd down in the 4th qtr instead of just leaning forward and getting the 1st down to seal the win against the whiners in 2010 forever had me against him. and it wasn't because he did that once, he did the same thing again on the next series in the game. then the whiners got the ball and drove down the field for the win. from that day on i saw him as a selfish player who makes bonehead plays. the fact that the loss in the end cost the rams a playoff spot made it worse.

No offense, but that's pretty irrational…

Plenty of reasons not to like Gibson, but you never even gave him a chance.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I always had a hard time fully rooting for Gibson and there are some good examples as to why already listed. I can forgive a guy for not being the most talented but being undisciplined was a killer with him. Didn't he ruin the 80 yard TD to Amendola vs. SF? Seems like he was always doing that but it might have been due to him playing a position of far too great of responsibility.

As it's also been said, dude's probably a perfect 3rd or 4th receiver. As a 1st or 2nd...? That's above his pay grade as they'd say in the military.

But, I've been very displeased with Pettis so far and I'd have to think real hard whether I'd rather the Rams had Gibson in that role or Pettis right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
moklerman said:
I always had a hard time fully rooting for Gibson and there are some good examples as to why already listed. I can forgive a guy for not being the most talented but being undisciplined was a killer with him. Didn't he ruin the 80 yard TD to Amendola vs. SF? Seems like he was always doing that but it might have been due to him playing a position of far too great of responsibility.

As it's also been said, dude's probably a perfect 3rd or 4th receiver. As a 1st or 2nd...? That's above his pay grade as they'd say in the military.

But, I've been very displeased with Pettis so far and I'd have to think real hard whether I'd rather the Rams had Gibson in that role or Pettis right now.
Yeah, that's what I said too. A good 3rd or 4th receiver, but not a #1. He doesn't have enough quicks, or enough strength, or enough consistency to be a #1, and that's why he was everyone's goat. If he did, he could be forgiven for not being perfect. Cook fails to protect the ball on a 55 yard TD, and it's okay, because he made up for it with 2 more TDs. If Gibson did that last week, we'd still be talking about it today. Even IF he scored two TDs in the process.

I think people just wanted better receivers, so they tended to be overly critical of him when he was forced into that primary role. We gotta remember though ... there were a lot of guys on this team who were playing positions they had no business playing, but that should be cause for praise IMO. Not condemnation. Now that he's benefitting from being a complementary receiver, he's starting to look more like Laurent Robinson in Dallas than Laurent Robinson in STL. Those kinds of receivers need other guys to take the pressure off of them and they tend to do just fine.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I called him Capt Jump-Catch.

Dude was always jumping to catch balls (even when it appeared that there was no need to jump),,, after his Jump-Catch, he would seemingly always fall straight to the ground.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
I called him Capt Jump-Catch.

Dude was always jumping to catch balls (even when it appeared that there was no need to jump),,, after his Jump-Catch, he would seemingly always fall straight to the ground.

Yeah , probably what he had to do to "freeze his body" last night I saw SEVERAL drops that would not have happened if the rec. would have "froze his body".

It's a lost detail about what made Holt so great how he could run through a catch.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Good dude.

Yep. Was always in Gibby's camp. Not as a #1 but that wasn't his doing. The dude always came out and played hard, ran good routes, and had some pretty key catches.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love Gibson's heart.

Dude made some great catches as a Ram.

He looked like a great teammate. Always there to congratulate another Ram after a TD.

He will have an NFL career and kudos to him. It's well deserved because I think he works hard at it.

Me; he's not a top 4 WR on any team. If he is; it's a weak unit. Just saying. The problem he had in STL is he was asked to be a top 4 guy. He did his best.