Games like today show the importance of PLAYER execution

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy Watkins made what I consider to be the play of the game for the Rams. Can't find the highlight but it was 3rd and 4 or 5 in the 3rd quarter, Rams down 10.

He catches a pass on an in route, makes a few moves and turns it into a near 30 yard gain. Rams go on to score a TD.

That is what a #1 WR does. The last few years that's a dropped pass, or even if they get a first down, just an 8 yard gain which forces the offense to run more plays. Watkins play was the catalyst for that TD drive which got us back into the game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Poor play design, well executed, is still poor play design. Bad playcalling, well executed, is still bad playcalling. The point being that last years Rams, even if they had executed on offense much better than they actually did would have still been bad on that side of the ball.

And don't you think personnel would have been a factor in that? It's pretty obvious the FO upgraded offensively, and while I defend the last regime, I'm not blindly saying everything was perfect.

For example, Lance Kendricks dropping a pass in the endzone vs. Gerald Everett have a 69 yard catch 'n run.

Or Jared Goff finding Todd Gurley as a checkdown vs. Case Keenum throwing a pick 6.

I don't know who is arguing that execution on the offensive side of the ball yesterday was flawless or even very good, but it's not me. They made some plays, but also made plenty of mistakes. But there is still a huge gulf between the design and playcalling of last years offense and this year's. Coaches are responsible for putting their players in position to succeed, players are responsible for executing the coaches plans. The 2016 Rams team failed miserably on both counts, but would have failed even with players executing better. That was more or less the point I was making.

And that's where you make obvious your stance: you want to lay it all on the coaches. I don't agree. Many games last season were close, especially early on (with the exception of Buffalo). When the margin of defeat is 7 points or less, someone (offensively or defensively) needs to make a play. A bad scheme or plan, as you seem to indicate would mean failure from the get-go, that wasn't the case.

This was more of a case of players not holding up their end of the bargain...and I'm cutting them some slack. New scheme, new personnel, etc etc. But positive plays were negated...again, for the 2nd week in a row. That needs to be cleaned up. Like now.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And that's where you make obvious your stance: you want to lay it all on the coaches.

Um, no.

Read this again. Slowly. Note the bolded word:

"Coaches are responsible for putting their players in position to succeed, players are responsible for executing the coaches plans. The 2016 Rams team failed miserably on both counts."

Nobody who watched the Rams last year would say the players on offense executed anything other than poorly (hence, including them in the "failed miserably" statement above). But anyone who thinks that the Rams offense last year was anything other than poorly coached, terribly designed, and poorly called on gameday is giving those coaches a pass they do not deserve.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The 49ers really only have Carlos Hyde.
Someone in here was saying he wasn't any good.....now...who could that be???? So, we REALLY don't need to worry about him..do we? I also said we need to watch that track guy....and I see his name is Goodwin...

One more thing...that 9er defense is getting better. Some of those D-Linemen were monsters in college...and appear to be getting acclimated to the pro game.

I saw #83 and you know who I thought Of....
brian-quick-joins-redskins.jpg

It's a magical number indeed:sneaky::yess:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Um, no.

Read this again. Slowly. Note the bolded word:

"Coaches are responsible for putting their players in position to succeed, players are responsible for executing the coaches plans. The 2016 Rams team failed miserably on both counts."

And the bolded from my last post pretty much told it all.

But anyone who thinks that the Rams offense last year was anything other than poorly coached, terribly designed, and poorly called on gameday is giving those coaches a pass they do not deserve.

So be it. I've accepted I'm the only one with this viewpoint. I'm so past blaming everything on coaches when players have equal responsibility.

BeefJurky

Rookie
I would honestly bench Woods thursday for Cooper or Reynolds..

single handedly killed our most important drive of the game with dumbass penalties and then precedes to drop a TD (even though there was a holding call) just completely unfocused and undisciplined
If it had been caught, they would have accepted the penalty and we would have had another shot.
But he dropped it and buried our chances for a TD.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've accepted I'm the only one with this viewpoint.

I feel your pain... I tried to defend Spags... then, to make matters worse, I criticized Fisher in the early days.

I felt like Sisyphus :ROFLMAO:

You're entitled to your opinion on the prior regime... I don't at all share it... but respect that that's how you feel.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm so past blaming everything on coaches when players have equal responsibility.

Yeah, I'm past that too. I was past it even in my first post on this thread. You somehow just keep missing that in my posts, despite multiple attempts to point that out to you.

In short, you are not executing on reading comprehension with regard to my posts. You may have been well coached in that area, maybe not. But you're not executing.

Have a good day, Angry Ram.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Someone in here was saying he wasn't any good.....
Not sure who you are referring to but count me in that category. I wouldn't go so far to say he's not "any good", but he's vastly overrated (like all 49ers that show a glimmer of a pulse of talent). His final numbers look impressive against Seattle but that's due to two long runs. Eleven of his 15 total rushes were for 4 yards or less, he's easily stuffed. (Compare that to Gurley where just 6 of 16 of his runs were 4 yards or less -- including the 1 yd TD).

But like any NFL RB he's able to run thru a gaping hole that led to big yardage. The entire battle is to play gap discipline, the Rams need to dominate the bad 49er o-line every play, overrated Hyde is not the focus in my little opinion. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
still would like to see Reynolds get more reps.. and Goff to spread the ball around. can't just force feed your binkie Kupp all day.. reminding me of Bradford with Amendola

He had 15 completions yesterday with 8 different receivers

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I saw #83 and you know who I thought Of....
I bet it wasn't Brian Quick.....Our "83" caught the ball and moved quickly downfield, where only a good tackle kept him from scoring....the old "83" would have dropped it or caught the ball and came 3 yards backwards only to get tackled 1 yard short.....or would have caught the ball, got a first down and shatter an assortment of bones somewhere within his anatomy.........
Newsflash: Our "83" is better.:yess:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I bet it wasn't Brian Quick.....Our "83" caught the ball and moved quickly downfield, where only a good tackle kept him from scoring....the old "83" would have dropped it or caught the ball and came 3 yards backwards only to get tackled 1 yard short.....or would have caught the ball, got a first down and shatter an assortment of bones somewhere within his anatomy.........
Newsflash: Our "83" is better.:yess:
Yeah... but that old #83 had a great game for WA...

Oh, wait.

Well, at least he's a helluva athlete.
:ROFLMAO:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His final numbers look impressive against Seattle but that's due to two long runs. Eleven of his 15 total rushes were for 4 yards or less, he's easily stuffed.
Lots of runners are like this...contain them for most of the game then...POW! Eric Dickerson was a lot like this....defenders get paid too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So be it. I've accepted I'm the only one with this viewpoint. I'm so past blaming everything on coaches when players have equal responsibility.
Oh hell no....at the end of the day...even Schotty/Boras/and others put guys in position to succeed...just not consistently enough. It's up to the players to execute. Bottom line....Hell, several players were cut and out of the league...and I'm sure while they blame Fish for some of there situation...they remain the driving force of whether they become/became players in the league.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I just wanna say that I'm happy that McVay is allowing Bones to be able to use some of his fake plays on ST. I thought McVay might be a little too skeptical to use them, but I'm glad we are still doing them.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that I would bench him... but he'd be on a short leash this game.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/1...nds-but-an-even-bigger-one-in-accountability/
Rams learn bitter lesson about loose ends, but an even bigger one in accountability
By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: September 17, 2017 at 8:43 pm | UPDATED: September 17, 2017 at 9:00 pm
The Rams locker room was barely open a minute or two Sunday after a gut-wrenching 27-20 loss to Washington when Robert Woods motioned for reporters to come talk to him.

If anyone had reason to hide from the media or brush them off or figure out a way to make himself invisible it was Woods, whose two careless penalties during a critical fourth-quarter drive likely cost the Rams a chance to score a touchdown and take the lead.
nstead of coming all the way back from a double-digit deficit to forge ahead, the Rams frustratingly settled for a game-tying field goal.

Rather than inhaling all the momentum that comes with completing a stirring rally, and feeding off it over the final seven minutes, it was more like satisfaction with an asterisk.

Good.

But not good enough.

In a loss defined by self-infliction, loose ends and cursory penalties and turnovers, Woods’ fourth-quarter indiscretions – and the painful ramifications that resulted – offered an imperfect snapshot of the whole exasperating afternoon.

“We can’t hurt ourselves with the penalties, some of the different things that occurred through the course of the game,” said Rams head coach Sean McVay.

The Rams are an improved team compared to last year. Dramatically so in some ways, subtly in others.

As evidenced by how they spotted Washington leads of 13-0 and 20-10 only to come roaring back to tie it with just over seven minutes remaining.

They did it by tapping into Jared Goff’s continued maturity, the athletic ability of Sammy Watkins and Gerald Everett, the headiness of Cooper Kupp, a defense that made adjustments to slow down Washington’s offense and even Todd Gurley, who finally flashed to Los Angeles the kind of burst and running ability that marked his rookie season in St. Louis.

And a mettle and moxie we rarely saw last year, if at all.

There’s absolutely no room in the NFL for moral victories. But there are redeeming take aways young teams can embrace even in losing.

“We put ourselves in a hole 13-0, but you’re really proud of the way we battled back to get into it,” said tackle Andrew Whitworth. “We made plays and got ourselves back in the game. There’s a lot of times teams lay down in that situation or can’t figure it out. So hats off to the team for that. To have a 20-20 game go down to the wire, that’s NFL football.”

They just aren’t good enough yet to spot a team double-digit leads on top of turning the ball over twice and committing seven penalties.

Like they did on Sunday.

Someday, maybe.

But not now.

All of which reared it’s ugly head in a major way when Woods was called for unnecessary roughness at the end of a run by Gurley, nullifying a first down and forcing the Rams to eventually execute a fake punt to keep the drive alive and, even worse, getting called for offensive pass interference to negate a Gurley pass completion to set up first-and-goal at the Washington 5.

The latter pushed the Rams back to the Washington 22-yard-line, and after Goff and Woods couldn’t connect on a throw to the end zone, Greg Zuerlein came in to kick a 40-yard field goal to make it 20-20.

The tie was good.

A lead would have been much better.

So yeah, Woods had every reason to duck out the back door on his way to the glorious early evening weather awaiting him outside in Los Angeles.

Instead, he did the complete opposite,

And if you’re searching for reasons why the Rams look, feel act and will eventually play like a much different team this year compared to those of their recent path, look no further than the way Woods waved reporters over to his locker.

Not to make excuses, but to answer for his mistakes.

Not to blame the referees for throwing flags when they could have easily kept them in their pockets, but to hold himself accountable.

“I just have to be more controlled, stay in the game, and just play within the whistle,” Woods said quietly.

It was a bitter pill to swallow, Woods being acquired last offseason to help show a young team what it’s like to be a professional day in and day out and be present and in the moment from the practice field to the meeting room to the classroom to the playing field.

Woods was an example on Sunday alright, just not the positive kind.

At least on the field.

But the accountability he showed afterward might end up being an even bigger lesson for his young teammates.

“That’s part of the football character we that we talk about all the time – taking full responsibility for your actions, for your performance,” said McVay. “No excuses. No complaining. And that’s why Robert is one of the guys that we’re counting on.”

There are no morale victories in the NFL.

But there are lessons to be learned, even in a loss.

“There are details that lost us the game,” Woods said, taking a hard look at himself in the mirror. “But I would say they’re very little that we can correct and just tighten them down. If we fix that I feel like we should be able to compete and win those games.”

The Rams aren’t there yet.

But they’re getting closer.