Games like today show the importance of PLAYER execution

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No matter who the guys wearing headsets that stand on the sideline are, it is up to the players carry it on the field. Obviously everyone knows what happened today, so I'm not gonna go into detail there.

Penalties on STs, pre-snap, during big plays, turnovers, missed tackles, and lack of tackling = loss. A coaching staff can't suddenly erase that. Pro football in my view is a 50/50 split in coaches/players to win games.

The same thing happened last season as well. Note: I am NOT saying 2017's squad = 2016 squad. But, similar trends happened in this game that we saw last year. The coaching staff had a game plan in place, players gotta make the play. I know I'm gonna get a lot of "different opinions" on this, but whatever.

Going forward, I'm really wanting to see how this team rebounds next week on the road. The 49ers really only have Carlos Hyde. I'm assuming Sean McVay and friends will plan accordingly. If the players minimize their mistakes next week than it's a W. If not, gonna be another struggle.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
I would honestly bench Woods thursday for Cooper or Reynolds..

single handedly killed our most important drive of the game with dumbass penalties and then precedes to drop a TD (even though there was a holding call) just completely unfocused and undisciplined

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Where is Reynolds btw? He was the most talked about player during training camp but got limited play with the ones during preseason and hasn't really seen the field yet.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Where is Reynolds btw? He was the most talked about player during training camp but got limited play with the ones during preseason and hasn't really seen the field yet.
Caught Hekker's pass on the fake punt play.

Perfectly executed and he damn near scored.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's a rookie coming from an Air Raid offense. He's probably not ready yet. Give him time.

Plus, Woods played really well in Week 1. I'm still playing him. Players make mistakes.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Caught Hekker's pass on the fake punt play.

Perfectly executed and he damn near scored.
Thanks for that update, we kept wondering who that was. Just a little to lazy to look it up I guess.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
He's a rookie coming from an Air Raid offense. He's probably not ready yet. Give him time.

Plus, Woods played really well in Week 1. I'm still playing him. Players make mistakes.

Woods looked like a rookie today

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
still would like to see Reynolds get more reps.. and Goff to spread the ball around. can't just force feed your binkie Kupp all day.. reminding me of Bradford with Amendola

bluecoconuts

Legend
still would like to see Reynolds get more reps.. and Goff to spread the ball around. can't just force feed your binkie Kupp all day.. reminding me of Bradford with Amendola

Redskins defense played us really well today. They were able to win a lot of their one on one battles, and it probably helped a lot that Gruden knows McVay's offense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The same thing happened last season as well. Note: I am NOT saying 2017's squad = 2016 squad. But, similar trends happened in this game that we saw last year. The coaching staff had a game plan in place, players gotta make the play. I know I'm gonna get a lot of "different opinions" on this, but whatever.

The main difference between this year and last year is that even if the offense executed perfectly on every play, the plays were too often poorly designed - no amount of perfection in execution would have helped. Game plans sucked last year, play design sucked, play calling sucked, and the game planners sucked as well. This season, I'm much more comfortable putting bad plays and/or poor outings on the lack of player execution, because you can see that the design of the offense is light years ahead of where it was a year ago and the offensive coaching is so much better.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would honestly bench Woods thursday for Cooper or Reynolds..

single handedly killed our most important drive of the game with dumbass penalties and then precedes to drop a TD (even though there was a holding call) just completely unfocused and undisciplined

Why? The dude owned it, it happens...and you move on. Travis Kelce had some dumbass penalties this year and he wasn't benched (granted he's on a whole other level, but you get my point).

I'm in favor of player executions!

250px-102Exeggcute.png

The main difference between this year and last year is that even if the offense executed perfectly on every play, the plays were too often poorly designed - no amount of perfection in execution would have helped. Game plans sucked last year, play design sucked, play calling sucked, and the game planners sucked as well. This season, I'm much more comfortable putting bad plays and/or poor outings on the lack of player execution, because you can see that the design of the offense is light years ahead of where it was a year ago and the offensive coaching is so much better.

You simply have no idea what the plans were, no one does. You're looking at it through only one lens. Again, we saw the same undisciplined play on offense, with almost entirely new players on O. Forget about Robert Woods, the penalties caused a number of Todd Gurley runs to be called back, that's two weeks in a row. It gets annoying. It's like when Tavon had so many return yards on punts called back through his career.

On the positive, I don't think today will be the norm as far as penalties like Robert Woods goes.

Again, whole point is at the pro level, football players take as much responsibility as coaches. I'm not gonna lay a majority of blame at the feet of either.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You simply have no idea what the plans were, no one does. You're looking at it through only one lens. Again, we saw the same undisciplined play on offense, with almost entirely new players on O. Forget about Robert Woods, the penalties caused a number of Todd Gurley runs to be called back, that's two weeks in a row. It gets annoying. It's like when Tavon had so many return yards on punts called back through his career.

On the positive, I don't think today will be the norm as far as penalties like Robert Woods goes.

Again, whole point is at the pro level, football players take as much responsibility as coaches. I'm not gonna lay a majority of blame at the feet of either.

Poor play design, well executed, is still poor play design. Bad playcalling, well executed, is still bad playcalling. The point being that last years Rams, even if they had executed on offense much better than they actually did would have still been bad on that side of the ball.

I don't know who is arguing that execution on the offensive side of the ball yesterday was flawless or even very good, but it's not me. They made some plays, but also made plenty of mistakes. But there is still a huge gulf between the design and playcalling of last years offense and this year's. Coaches are responsible for putting their players in position to succeed, players are responsible for executing the coaches plans. The 2016 Rams team failed miserably on both counts, but would have failed even with players executing better. That was more or less the point I was making.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Poor play design, well executed, is still poor play design. Bad playcalling, well executed, is still bad playcalling. The point being that last years Rams, even if they had executed on offense much better than they actually did would have still been bad on that side of the ball.

I don't know who is arguing that execution on the offensive side of the ball yesterday was flawless or even very good, but it's not me. They made some plays, but also made plenty of mistakes. But there is still a huge gulf between the design and playcalling of last years offense and this year's. Coaches are responsible for putting their players in position to succeed, players are responsible for executing the coaches plans. The 2016 Rams team failed miserably on both counts, but would have failed even with players executing better. That was more or less the point I was making.
I agree.

I can see a difference in the design of the offense and play calling.

It's early... they're making mistakes... but I, for one, feel much more confident in this offense than anything Fisher ever trotted out there.