Game tape review: Interior O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Current status summary here is this Ram Org. utilized an enormous amount of team investment in a offensive draft in 2015. They drafted four OL'ers in 2015..2nd, 3rd, 4th & a 6th....& the top RB Gurley.My early thoughts is this would have gave this Ram offense a solid good foundation for a running game & OL by 2017.

But here where are best 3 OL'ers currently did not come from that 2015 OL draft.
All four of these OL'ers are surrounded with question marks. Jamon Brown looks to have played his best thus far in his first 2015 rookie pre season & first 4 reg. rookie seasons games @ LG then fell off broke his leg went IR then never found a home as a starter since.

Havenstein had an excellent rookie seasons then followed up with a injury filled 2016 season with very bad results. Rob still has issues with a slow pass block set up & get his QB pressured way too early. Donnal has had some injures so has Wichmann. The hope is 2015 class fairs better than passed away 2014 OL draft class. Gurley even fell off too.

Its still early in a new offense with new OL coach & a new blocking scheme being inserted. I guess I should not expect so much from this draft class & ease up a bit on these OL'ers.I know it takes a while with OL'ers but we are in the 3rd seasons for these four...hate to think we have suffered with poor OL play waiting for dividends from 2015 drafted OL'ers who finally figure out things after their 4 yr rookie contracts end & depart for UFA'cy.

Big question for me ...Is it really smart to use a teams 1st & 2nd day draft wealth on OL'ers then suffer the less than desired results as they try to grow up technically? or just go FA route to avoid the drafting of OL'er all together & use the draft wealth elsewhere?

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bonifay, it's why I'm an advocate of drafting an OLineman every draft, weather you need one or not. Especially in this day and age when the college game is so far from the pro game and it takes OL guys 3 years to develop.

Draft one every draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay, it's why I'm an advocate of drafting an OLineman every draft, weather you need one or not. Especially in this day and age when the college game is so far from the pro game and it takes OL guys 3 years to develop.

Draft one every draft.
First day? Second Day or Third day? Seems the third day (4th, 5th, 6th & 7th rounds) would be the safest route to go if I had your position. You may just hit on one or two of them. I would stay away from those spread college offensives that gives a blurry picture of how those OL will work in the NFL & tards OL NFL growth by many years. Draft from colleges that utilize NFL offenses.

We did draft 2 OL'ers who were Wisconsin & Iowa products.

Just analyzing what I know of the talent & skills If Donnal remains unhealthy & Havenstein continues to struggle I might try this OL lineup in pre season....Fix that RT issue is critical.

LT- Whitworth/ Williams
LG- Brown/ Eldrenkamp
OC- Sullivan/ Blythe
RG- Havenstein/ Wichmann
RT- Saffold/ Murphy

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know you have been suggesting Brown at LG since he was drafted. Would like to see him there, but can't see McVay moving Saffold, so we might have to wait for Saffold to get injured. Probably not a long wait then...

Saffold had his best season at ORG. Then he has been on the left ever since. I would like them to swap him with Brown for a preseason game.