Game tape review: Interior O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Mcvay likes to defer to game tape before he makes sweeping judgements on how players performed. It's amazing how much a careful play, pause, rewind, repeat reveals when you review each play until you see each players full part on each play.

I looked at our interior lineman. Our backups, since they played the bulk of the game. I came away with the following observations:

60 Eldrenkamp - played LG for a bit then bulk of the game at center until the last drive. He was very solid in both run and pass pro. Some good blocks springing runs but was beaten bad in one running play resulting in a 3 yard loss. His man cut inside and he couldn't get there quick enough to slow the defender down. Overall he doesn't have a lot of power but sound technique and no missed. Assignments. Was only beat once and otherwise has a very solid game!

66 Blythe played C for a bit and then the bulk of the game at RG until the last offensive possession. Real good blocks even to the 2 level springing Justin Davis on multiple occasions for big runs. Really quick and very sound in run game getting a block on the right guy then quickly getting second level blocks. A little push in run game but not a whole lot. But locks on well and uses his body text book perfect, to shield defender.

He did give up 1 big pass pressure due to picking up wrong man on stunt. Which looked like confusion in diagnosing who to pick up.

69 Wichmann. RG and then mainly LG. Lots and lots of push in run game even flattening lineman. Reminded me of Richie Incognito. Opened big holes for Justin Davis. He has a lot of work to do locking on and sustaining the block after initial engage. He had 3 pass pressures allowed. Ouch. All of which could have resulted in sacks. He has massive potential opening holes for Gurley but will be a liability in pass pro until he can figure out how to lock onto a guy to sustain a block.

Summary:
Personally I want to see Blythe at RG with the first team before preseason ends. The PFF ratings are accurate on him. They rated him as our highest rated player for the Dallas game. I think he's our primary interior backup if he doesn't beat out Brown. Elrenkamp also needs more look. When him and Blythe were in at C and RG the interior line was moving people and pass protecting perfectly for almost two quarters, albeit vs backup defenders.

Wichmann has huge run blocking potential but he is still too raw as a pass protector. I wonder if he can improve there.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
One thing I saw re-watching the game... Jamon Brown didn't look good...he looked like the same guy getting beat and letting his man in the backfield on run plays..

I honestly don't see him lasting as a starting guard..

I also checked Eldrenkamp out and like what I saw....

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
One thing I saw re-watching the game... Jamon Brown didn't look good...he looked like the same guy getting beat and letting his man in the backfield on run plays..

I honestly don't see him lasting as a starting guard.

I have to agree (not that I'm any OLine guru), but I find it interesting that McVay was happy with Brown and confirmed he is the RG moving forward. Now, as I said, I'm no guru but unless I'm interpreting the plays all wrong (quite possible!!), I hope he has a real solid Plan B because I don't see Goff prospering if Opposition D's keeps banging away at our right side.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I have to agree (not that I'm any OLine guru), but I find it interesting that McVay was happy with Brown and confirmed he is the RG moving forward. Now, as I said, I'm no guru but unless I'm interpreting the plays all wrong (quite possible!!), I hope he has a real solid Plan B because I don't see Goff prospering if Opposition D's keeps banging away at our right side.

he said he was happy..but the way he phrased it..he basically said Hav is the RT, and Brown is the guard for now...

I don't know....

he got totally blasted on that first run play by Gurley...

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Thanks you guys for the analysis. In 2015, the last 3 games, the run blocking was pretty good and WIchmann was a big part of that. Too bad you can't platoon Guards like Landry did (sending in the plays).

fearsomefour

Legend
Keep waiting for the light to go on with Brown.
His pass blocking was better at least. Not lunging out, nose over toes, to try and pass block. He stayed balanced pass blocking which he didn't do a lot previously.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I keep mentioning it, (though it should be less of a problem as Jamon Brown becomes a vet) that he has never really been allowed to settle down into one position. They keep moving him all over the line and he's also had some ill-timed injuries.

That said, I have a feeling that McVay is just giving him the positive coach speak routine.
I don't think he's going to last if he keeps playing like he did the other night.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mcvay likes to defer to game tape before he makes sweeping judgements on how players performed. It's amazing how much a careful play, pause, rewind, repeat reveals when you review each play until you see each players full part on each play.

I looked at our interior lineman. Our backups, since they played the bulk of the game. I came away with the following observations:

60 Eldrenkamp - played LG for a bit then bulk of the game at center until the last drive. He was very solid in both run and pass pro. Some good blocks springing runs but was beaten bad in one running play resulting in a 3 yard loss. His man cut inside and he couldn't get there quick enough to slow the defender down. Overall he doesn't have a lot of power but sound technique and no missed. Assignments. Was only beat once and otherwise has a very solid game!

66 Blythe played C for a bit and then the bulk of the game at RG until the last offensive possession. Real good blocks even to the 2 level springing Justin Davis on multiple occasions for big runs. Really quick and very sound in run game getting a block on the right guy then quickly getting second level blocks. A little push in run game but not a whole lot. But locks on well and uses his body text book perfect, to shield defender.

He did give up 1 big pass pressure due to picking up wrong man on stunt. Which looked like confusion in diagnosing who to pick up.

69 Wichmann. RG and then mainly LG. Lots and lots of push in run game even flattening lineman. Reminded me of Richie Incognito. Opened big holes for Justin Davis. He has a lot of work to do locking on and sustaining the block after initial engage. He had 3 pass pressures allowed. Ouch. All of which could have resulted in sacks. He has massive potential opening holes for Gurley but will be a liability in pass pro until he can figure out how to lock onto a guy to sustain a block.

Summary:
Personally I want to see Blythe at RG with the first team before preseason ends. The PFF ratings are accurate on him. They rated him as our highest rated player for the Dallas game. I think he's our primary interior backup if he doesn't beat out Brown. Elrenkamp also needs more look. When him and Blythe were in at C and RG the interior line was moving people and pass protecting perfectly for almost two quarters, albeit vs backup defenders.

Wichmann has huge run blocking potential but he is still too raw as a pass protector. I wonder if he can improve there.
Yes those guys in Texas have very good observation skills;). Ref. Cody Wichmann pass vs run blocking....thats why all his starts over the last 2 seasons have come from the RG post.

Excellent observations here. Blythe & Eldrenkamp talents would seem to fall in the football intelligence side. Kromers new physical OL'ers since the draft all have great working brains & knowledge of their working assignments. Known for working best in teamwork structured mindsets. Technical Masters! The OL'ers that he has signed thus far are on the smaller side & smart thinking abilities.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I keep mentioning it, (though it should be less of a problem as Jamon Brown becomes a vet) that he has never really been allowed to settle down into one position. They keep moving him all over the line and he's also had some ill-timed injuries.

That said, I have a feeling that McVay is just giving him the positive coach speak routine.
I don't think he's going to last if he keeps playing like he did the other night.
Yeah, I hope that tiny Andrew Whitworth can hold up. :D
Note: I said since the draft;) Kromer was said to lend trend towards very large OL'ers. The list the new FA & UDFA arrivals to the OL have mostly been the opposite. Not one over 300 pounds.

UDFA-Parker Collins 6-3/295 R OG/OC
7th rd. Austin Blythe 6-3/300 2 OC/OG
UDFA-Jake Eldrenkamp 6-5/300 R OC/OG
UDFA- Alex Kozan 6-4/310 R OG
UDFA-Micheal Dunn 6-5/300 R OG/OT

Ref. to Jamon Brown can you recall from all my posts on what is JB's best side???

Last edited:

Ants

Starter
he said he was happy..but the way he phrased it..he basically said Hav is the RT, and Brown is the guard for now...

I don't know....

he got totally blasted on that first run play by Gurley...

I don't know...to me it looked like he set up the block as if the play was going to the right. But it went to the left.
Perhaps I should re-watch it. But from what I saw, I it didn't look like he got beat - he just set up the wrong way.
I could be wrong.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as Brown and Havenstein are concerned, I fear the reason for the switches is they're trying to figure out what Brown does best. Havenstein could probably play either position but Brown looks a little shaky, at least at RG. They're still trying to figure which position Brown provides the least liability in.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
As far as Brown and Havenstein are concerned, I fear the reason for the switches is they're trying to figure out what Brown does best. Havenstein could probably play either position but Brown looks a little shaky, at least at RG. They're still trying to figure which position Brown provides the least liability in.

But I thought Brown was the Rams future pro bowler and HOFer? Fisher said so!!! lol

Limey

Rookie
Ref. to Jamon Brown can you recall from all my posts on what is JB's best side???

I know you have been suggesting Brown at LG since he was drafted. Would like to see him there, but can't see McVay moving Saffold, so we might have to wait for Saffold to get injured. Probably not a long wait then...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
69 Wichmann
Can't get a read on this guy....I've seen him and Brown effectively run block....now it seems...I rarely see them just clearing lanes versus starters....

Wichman, Donnal, Eldrenkamp, and Blythe need time in the first quarter to see what we got....with Mannion in the game...definitely not Goff...

I'd cut Murphy today.

Ram65

Legend

Summary:

Thanks I enjoy your offensive line reviews. I know it's a lot of work too. Glad Blythe and Eldrenkamp looked good to you even if it was against backup. Both need to get stronger as their profiles indicated but, smarts can be a big asset. It would good to Blythe at RG early in first quarter against the ones.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Can't get a read on this guy....I've seen him and Brown effectively run block....now it seems...I rarely see them just clearing lanes versus starters....

Wichman, Donnal, Eldrenkamp, and Blythe need time in the first quarter to see what we got....with Mannion in the game...definitely not Goff...

I'd cut Murphy today.

I have no faith in Wichman against number 1s. I would like to see what Blythe looks like at RG then Eldrenkamp.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Not one over 300 pounds.

UDFA- Alex Kozan 6-4/310 R OG
Not one?

I'm just messing with you man because you seem to have a good sense of humor.

Notice that I gave you a thread winner rating above, right before busting your balls.

And yes, that was a payoff for allowing me to bust your balls. :D

I can't keep track of all of the comments but I see Brown as a better pass blocker as at G, possibly due to his experience as a tackle.

Last edited: