FRS NEWSReport: Former Rams coaches blame Gurley for his 2016 struggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm about as worried about Gurley as I was about Jerome Bettis...when he had his bad year in LA.... behind a bad oline and offense as a whole......true....Bettis moved on to Pittsburgh and had a fantastic rest of his career.

Sure....some of it was Gurley's fault.....IMHO.... he got frustrated with the lack of movement by the oline .... and began slamming it up in there....taking 2 to 3 yards.... rather than taking a loss.... he averaged far far less carries last year than the year before..... it's like he and Melvin Gordon flipped production and attempts from 2015 to 2016.

In my mind Gurley is a beast.... I spent a lot of time studying him before the draft.....best back I'd seen since AP.....so when things go bad for a year I go back and study my film and notes....and despite his production. ...or lack there of in 2016..... I am still absolutely sure that he is a stud back....and although his style isn't that of Marshall Faulk....who was much more elusive. .....his style is much more like AP, Dickerson, Bettis, Lynch (explain the Buffalo years), but with speed like AP and Dickerson....

Now he has never had a year like this....not in College.... not his rookie year.....it will be interesting to see how he responds to this year.....will he come back more driven? With the vision that separates good backs from great ones? In better shape? I'm betting on Gurley returning to form next year as he rises to the top..... we will see.... ;)

Go Rams......... ;)

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm about as worried about Gurley as I was about Jerome Bettis...when he had his bad year in LA.... behind a bad oline and offense as a whole......true....Bettis moved on to Pittsburgh and had a fantastic rest of his career.

Sure....some of it was Gurley's fault.....IMHO.... he got frustrated with the lack of movement by the oline .... and began slamming it up in there....taking 2 to 3 yards.... rather than taking a loss.... he averaged far far less carries last year than the year before..... it's like he and Melvin Gordon flipped production and attempts from 2015 to 2016.

In my mind Gurley is a beast.... I spent a lot of time studying him before the draft.....best back I'd seen since AP.....so when things go bad for a year I go back and study my film and notes....and despite his production. ...or lack there of in 2016..... I am still absolutely sure that he is a stud back....and although his style isn't that of Marshall Faulk....who was much more elusive. .....his style is much more like AP, Dickerson, Bettis, Lynch (explain the Buffalo years), but with speed like AP and Dickerson....

Now he has never had a year like this....not in College.... not his rookie year.....it will be interesting to see how he responds to this year.....will he come back more driven? With the vision that separates good backs from great ones? In better shape? I'm betting on Gurley returning to form next year as he rises to the top..... we will see.... ;)

Go Rams......... ;)
I remember the same thing with Bettis. Professional annalists were claiming he was washed up. I knew he wasn't and was pretty upset when he went to Pittsburgh. His line left no room to run and he wasn't a Barry Sanders type back that could just shoot outside.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Ouch! But the truth can hurt - eh?

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't care what Gurley did...what I noticed was he was impatient when he got the ball.
Yeah I saw that also but I believe that was as the year wore on and there simply wasn't anywhere to run.....I could be wrong..... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

jap

Legend
I would think it would, heck many on this board thought he may have been and fought through it. An injury would actually be relieving to some regarding his production.

Jim Brown never talked about injuries during his playing days. This attitude helped to preserve his aura on invincibility. It was only in the decades after his retirement that we found out he played through broken toes and other ailments that defenders never even dreamed he had, no matter how hard they sought to jack him up.