FRS NEWSReport: Former Rams coaches blame Gurley for his 2016 struggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I got pummeled on here before the season for saying TG was average. Watch Leveon Bell (another big ish RB) and the patience he has. He will set up blocks and in many cases make his own bones when the block isn't there. TG is a one cut, one speed RB in my eyes. If the hole isn't there, he will run into the OL as if it were. He does not appear to have much lateral quickness, so I do not expect him to be able to make an OLs job any easier, that's for sure. He looks to me like a David Johnson without the receiving ability. And that is being generous.

I am sure I will get lectured now on how terribly stupid I am, but the eye test is what it is for me. The stats happen to back it up.

jap

Legend
Well, there is only so much criticism a Gurley Man can absorb before he starts going postal on the field. If the McVey regime gets the OL fixed, look for an assault on the record books by a rampaging Gurley Express!, guys! :boxing::lifting::wabbit::double::shooting::seizure:

…..

Legend
I got pummeled on here before the season for saying TG was average. Watch Leveon Bell (another big ish RB) and the patience he has. He will set up blocks and in many cases make his own bones when the block isn't there. TG is a one cut, one speed RB in my eyes. If the hole isn't there, he will run into the OL as if it were. He does not appear to have much lateral quickness, so I do not expect him to be able to make an OLs job any easier, that's for sure. He looks to me like a David Johnson without the receiving ability. And that is being generous.

I am sure I will get lectured now on how terribly stupid I am, but the eye test is what it is for me. The stats happen to back it up.

Laveon Bell's running style and patience is really out of the ordinary. Unfair to compare him to that degree. Having said that, whatever is ailing Gurley, wether it be too much JayZ or too little vision, undecisiveness or not enough good blocking, we better get it fixed or next year at this time we'll be talking about another wasted talent from an inept Rams team. And THAT is getting old.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I think Gurley had the proverbial "sophomore slump." He may not admit it, but he had plenty of distractions once he got to LA. Now is the time for him to "dim down" the Hollywood lights and get back on track. With that said, the running game woes last season was a combination of poor coaching, play calling, poor O-Line play and even poor running by him. At times he showed little patience allowing holes to open. I've been a broken record preaching the need for him to run through the hole and not to the hole. He needs to take a page from LeVeon Bell's book and maybe understand how to be a more patient runner. I love this guy and am not about to give up on him. I'm confident McVay and the new staff will be a very positive thing for Gurley. Although I am surprised they kept Peete as the RB coach. As for the former coaches, it's human nature to fault someone else about the "problems" once they are let go. It does show their true colors by not accepting any blame for what happened last season. Another reason why guys like this will bounce from job to job to job. IMO, the blame was equal to all parties involved for last season's poor performance.

tempests

Hall of Fame
If it wasn't for Gurley, the 2015 Rams might've only won three or four games. That offense was just as bad as the 2016 version.

Gurley didn't miss most of the offseason workouts. Cole doesn't know what he's talking about.

Gurley has been so engrossed in his first full offseason program Rams coach Jeff Fisher has almost had to tell him to dial it back.

“He’s not missed a day and he’s running extra after practice," Fisher said. "He’s doing everything to the point where you almost say, ‘Let’s back down a little bit.’ He’s had an impressive offseason.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...own-todd-gurley-enjoying-california-lifestyle

Before his rookie year, recovering from a torn ACL, he was limited in offseason and they weren't hitting him in training camp then, either. I'm not buying that one.

He's not lazy, spoiled, entitled, a quitter or anything else. Look at the comeback he had after his knee injury. You don't have a season like that if any of those things are true.

Last edited:

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
For me, I think the blame has to be distributed to everybody. Fisher, Boras, the O-Line, AND Gurley.

I think Gurley didn't train as hard - I saw him in way too many commercials last year. I can't be certain, but how does somebody somehow lose 20 lbs without a plan? I dunno. I hope the failure from this year lights a big fire under his butt...

Debacled

Starter
Dude was getting hit one step and if he was lucky two after getting the handoff. I don't care who you are, that isn't going to lead to a productive running game. Fans used to complain to no end about Steven Jackson being hesitant behind the line. Sure seems as if the coin has flipped.

Holes weren't there. More "patience" would have simply lead to more negative plays due to the line pretending to be a sieve. Just not a good offense, period. Its not all on the line, they were facing stacked boxes nearly the entire year because there was zero threat from the passing game, but still it would have been nice to see even a little push from them.

Compare him to Bell all you want, teams playing the Rams don't have to be concerned about this guy named Brown burning them in the passing game and have to contend with something that at least resembles a competent offensive line. I hate Ben as a person as well, but he is a different kind of talent that needs to be accounted for on the field as well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not surprising that the coaches behind a middle school offense would act like petty middle schools children. Backbiting Gurley isn't cool in the least.

Hopefully Gurley can shut them up after he rushes for 1,500 yards next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got pummeled on here before the season for saying TG was average. Watch Leveon Bell (another big ish RB) and the patience he has. He will set up blocks and in many cases make his own bones when the block isn't there.

Dude, watch Pittsburgh's OL. They have arguably the best OL Coach in the NFL, Mike Munchak. They hold their blocks for a long ass time. Le'Veon Bell's running style does not work behind an OL that doesn't sustain blocks. I'll back that up with evidence:
Le'Veon Bell before Mike Munchak was hired: 3.5 yards per carry
Le'Veon Bell after Mike Munchak was hired: 4.8 yards per carry

Are we to believe that is a coincidence?

Le'Veon Bell could not run the way he does behind our OL. Patience only works if your OL sustains blocks.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Dude, watch Pittsburgh's OL. They have arguably the best OL Coach in the NFL, Mike Munchak. They hold their blocks for a long ass time. Le'Veon Bell's running style does not work behind an OL that doesn't sustain blocks. I'll back that up with evidence:
Le'Veon Bell before Mike Munchak was hired: 3.5 yards per carry
Le'Veon Bell after Mike Munchak was hired: 4.8 yards per carry

Are we to believe that is a coincidence?

Le'Veon Bell could not run the way he does behind our OL. Patience only works if your OL sustains blocks.

I'll echo that. Patience is only possible when you're not getting blown up where you stand/receive the hand-off. Lev Bell, if he tried to play the same way in our offense would have been called "indecisive" as he was hit over and over again in the backfield without making a cut. But because he has the time to choose his spot and go, he is able to show off his talent, and takes the label of a "patient" runner who "waits for holes to develop".

Gurley's issues this year were about what I would expect from a guy who gets the ball in a warzone and has to run for his life and hope he can break through. The o-line was opening more holes later in the season, but he looked conditioned to believe the whole defense was coming after him, and he just had to get up-field. Gurley is a great running back, and I expect him to bounce back to around top-five this coming year (hand in hand with that, I expect the blocking to be much better).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
After about 3 or 4 games in....he was running expecting to get hit. That's the body language i saw every week.

He obviously had zero confidence in every single facet of the offense around him. Some players don't involve themselves in what's going on around them and keep plugging away keeping their mouth shut. Other players will become frustrated and expect those around him to step up and will be vocal about it.

I'm not concerned with TG at all. He's a super talent, hard worker and a competitor. The offense has been a trainwreck for years.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I thought this the entire year. It was the same damn scheme with basically the same damn line. It was him. He got cocky and lazy and not playing in preseason was a mistake. He better pick it the hell up this year.

Nope
Play calling with Cig was significantly different in the run game
As was the blocking and scheme
Gurley was not as good

It's not so simple

Georgia and SEC fans hold Gurley's character to be high

I don't see a reason to disagree with them

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I'll echo that. Patience is only possible when you're not getting blown up where you stand/receive the hand-off. Lev Bell, if he tried to play the same way in our offense would have been called "indecisive" as he was hit over and over again in the backfield without making a cut. But because he has the time to choose his spot and go, he is able to show off his talent, and takes the label of a "patient" runner who "waits for holes to develop".

Gurley's issues this year were about what I would expect from a guy who gets the ball in a warzone and has to run for his life and hope he can break through. The o-line was opening more holes later in the season, but he looked conditioned to believe the whole defense was coming after him, and he just had to get up-field. Gurley is a great running back, and I expect him to bounce back to around top-five this coming year (hand in hand with that, I expect the blocking to be much better).

Dancing in the hole
That's Bell
He gets away with it because of the Steeler line

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought this the entire year. It was the same damn scheme with basically the same damn line. It was him. He got cocky and lazy and not playing in preseason was a mistake. He better pick it the hell up this year.
So film tape on Gurley, a non-existant passing game, and a semi-pro Oline, made things exactly like last year? C'mon man, you don't believe that cr@p, do you? What Defensive coordinator wouldn't figure out how to stop Gurley from last year, to this year?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Per Pro Football Focus:
#3 Offensive Line-Pittsburgh Steelers
"One of the most underrated stories of this season has been just how good the Pittsburgh offensive line has been"

*nah, the Oline performance had nothing at all to do with Bell's success...and confidence in that line and the predictable ability to open holes for Bell, wouldn't make him more confident and maybe a little more patient? couldn't be...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
those Carl's Jr's commercials he has planned...this year....they better be worth it. I'm expecting nipples to pop out.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
...Gurley has to share some of the blame, but I watched every game this season and I put the blame on everyone upfront and I'm anxious to see the rebuilt offensive line

I watched a lot of his runs and imo there were a lot of times when there was space to left or right and he would just plow straight ahead. maybe this is what the coaching staff wanted. this doesn't make much sense but the year before he seemed to have good vision and make good cuts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
this doesn't make much sense but the year before he seemed to have good vision and make good cuts.

IMO, I felt the OL was an epic fail, however, Gurley does has to come back next year more determine and hopefully with a retooled offensive line and an offensive line coach who is one of the best in the NFL all the king's horses and all the king's men will be able to put Gurley back together again.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Exactly. But does BR pay these guys for real? I find it hard to believe they pay these nipple dicked retards to type the drivel they do. If this is the case I have a good shot of being a analyst for them!
You could not work for them because as a Rams fan you are overqualified. I post this reminder every 6 months or so it seems, that Bleacher Report is not a real football site, it is a 49er fan site that was sold to the public under the Silicon Valley model. As with all 49er fans, its goals will always be drama over real football news...

"Bleacher Report was founded in 2007 by David Finocchio ... Bryan Goldberg, and David Nemetz—... who had been high school classmates at Menlo School in Atherton, California."

"Dave Finocchio is the Founder/GM of Bleacher Report. most depressing sports moments: 1. Roger Craig fumbles against the NY Giants in 1990-91 NFC Championship game... I cried, hard."

"I'm Bryan — I'm one of the guys who started Bleacher Report here in San Francisco ... My teams are the ... Niners."

"Mr. David Nemetz, Dave Co-founded Bleacher Report, Inc. in 2007 ... He became an avid fan of ... the San Francisco 49ers"