Free Agency Wide Receiver Options for 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
Elevated their teams....I can hardly think of one FA wr that made a significant impact...Especially the big names....They do tear down teams salary structure...

I said nothing about trading....I only pointed out that acquiring a high priced FA wr is silly...It rarely improves your team overall...They can help very good teams...

Can't believe you Athos...I know you know better...Alshon? Really? Alshon Jefferies? I bet he'd turn into the fat boy we all saw around the draft in 2012...if we signed him to a huge contract...

Draft...I don't care if it's a knucklehead...I don't care if he's raw...I just want him on a rookie deal, if he works out, cool. Re-sign him....You can only fix teams permanently through the draft...

What Rams WR drafted since Snead and Fisher took over gives you confidence in their ability to evaluate WR talent?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I will say that it's important to understand a WR's responsibilities in his current team's scheme and how those would relate to responsibilities in your scheme before you make any moves. Also applicable to most positions, but maybe moreso to WRs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This can be extended to almost any position on the field. In the NFL, it's hard to get any FA to move teams unless they're just looking to cash in. Look what happened when Suh moved teams, and McCown post-Bears, and Matt Flynn, and Nnamdi Asomugha, and Ray Edwards, and Carl Nicks, and Albert Haynesworth, and Scott Wells. You'll end up spending FA money, and pretty much any "big-name" guy who hits the market is a huge risk. A huge risk with a big cap number.
Exactly...hence the '''fear" in obtaining the services of any FA is not worth the risk...I don't just pick wrs...all FA's....all of them I say....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What Rams WR drafted since Snead and Fisher took over gives you confidence in their ability to evaluate WR talent?
Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin....they can draft talent...I wish they'd just draft a few more of the accessory positions..like O-Line and QB....at least a few more...and earlier...
Seriously..Brian Quick can play...Givens can play too...Tavon can play...It's how these guys get used now...New QB in this system...probably will take a whole season to become...comfortable...not soon enough to really press teams like GB or NE...but we'll get better...slowly but surely.
Picking up a FA...who's probably gonna take a while too...is not the answer...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Elevated their teams....I can hardly think of one FA wr that made a significant impact...Especially the big names....They do tear down teams salary structure...
Anquan Boldin who we should have payed after Baltimore and before San Fran. Doesn't matter now, just sayin.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

I said nothing about trading....I only pointed out that acquiring a high priced FA wr is silly...It rarely improves your team overall...They can help very good teams...

Edit....man Decker makes $6.5 mil this year...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/eric-decker/

here are his season stats:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2015.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DeckEr00.htm
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13271/eric-decker

show me a super bowl winner with overpaid wideouts? avg. stats with superstar contracts? at wr? where? which teams?

Can't believe you Athos...I know you know better...Alshon? Really? Alshon Jefferies? I bet he'd turn into the fat boy we all saw around the draft in 2012...if we signed him to a huge contract...

Draft...I don't care if it's a knucklehead...I don't care if he's raw...I just want him on a rookie deal, if he works out, cool. Re-sign him....You can only fix teams permanently through the draft...

Overpaid? That can go for your home raised talent as well. How much are you willing to pay Quick right now? how much is Austin worth?

And that can go for any position. Show me any superbowl winner with seriously overpaid talent at any position? If you overspend on DE/QB/OL you will get burned, pretty much any team will be.

I did not mean actual trade I was responding to your statement "But the defense & running game are probably more important than one player."

As for Decker not making him out to be a superstar, just saying he is well above a statement like "LOL...it's hard to notice he still plays", he would be the #1 receiver on this team and 6.5Mil is pretty reasonable for his output...

Teams need to sign FA...big names....back-up, whatever....even the most "home grown" team, the Packers, is only about 70% so.

Irish

Starter
Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin....they can draft talent...I wish they'd just draft a few more of the accessory positions..like O-Line and QB....at least a few more...and earlier...
Seriously..Brian Quick can play...Givens can play too...Tavon can play...It's how these guys get used now...New QB in this system...probably will take a whole season to become...comfortable...not soon enough to really press teams like GB or NE...but we'll get better...slowly but surely.
Picking up a FA...who's probably gonna take a while too...is not the answer...

What's with the ellipses, Shatner ;) ?

In any event, if the FO was any good at evaluating elite skill position talent we wouldn't be having this conversation. Givens was jettisoned for a nothing pick, Tavon is a gadget running back/ Dexter McCluster type, Quick is a painfully slow developing #2 WR who has had difficulty getting on the field and staying on the field, and the team burned (literally) a HUGE TE contract on the bust of the century in Cook.

Hindsight is 20/20, I get it, but even if you don't argue that the Rams should have taken the Wide Receiver in the 1st round when they were picking other guys (Watkins), you can literally go round by round with the Rams draft picks at WR and point to someone you would have rather had at that spot.

Quick- Alshon Jeffrey, Reuben Randle, TY Hilton

Givens- Travis Benjamin, Ladarius Green (maybe?)

Picking WRs is not an exact science, but it is also not something that is as difficult as so many Rams fans would have you believe. Talent is talent.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I think it's also reasonable for us to ask what constitutes a WR "elevating" his team... IE what is a reasonable expectation that would constitute success. Wins? Personal stats? Pro Bowls? Taking defenders away from teammates and thus opening them up for greater success?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think it has become clear we need a #1 type wr or at the very least that dependable pair of hands that has the knack of getting open in clutch situations.

You lost me right there. TA is an animal, Quick and Britt will be demons outside when Quick shakes off the rust. Bailey is one of the most reliable ball catchers in the NFL.

Our talent at WR is more than enough to destroy teams when we keep Foles clean.

Cook and Kendricks have been our pass catching downfall.

Edit: And then I finished reading your post and we seem to agree!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quick is a painfully slow developing #2 WR
I hate this too...but wide receivers typically take 3 years to develop.....I was told this about 5 years ago...started yelling Jerry Rice...and sure enough...look over some serious wrs....and most took around 3 years....and last year, Quick's year 3 looked pretty good b4 the injury....i still wonder what he was gonna do with Bradford...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't like the idea of overpaying for a WR. There's a bazillion in every draft with every college team putting the best athletes on the field at the position nowadays. Maybe Snead just needs to take 2 or 3 of them, just do like they did last year and say NO to project types, get guys who know wtf they are doing, who can run a basic route at least.

Rams could use a TE too. Get a guy who fits this offense, who is willing to get dirty on the line blocking but who has good hands. It does NOT have to be a ridiculous athlete, quit with the upside BS. There are a lot of options like I just described in this draft, plenty of room for the Rams to find some help at the position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the only chance to get Alshon is if you get him this year in a firesale trade

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm rolling with what we have...Big name, high contract wrs are a crazy investment....Draft only here....name a big name FA wr that elevated his team? Don't say Moss without Brady...
This regime still hasn't proven they can draft or develop a top WR. FA might be the best choice.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Wake up folks.

We are talking about a Jeff Fisher. Never has known a QB ( pure passer or WR) he would back on.

Any trade would be wasted. No offensive cred for Fisher.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alshon won't hit FA. And that sucks. Because he's worth a big contract. Guy has ridiculously strong hands and bullies DBs. He's exactly what we need.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
No way we get what we need in this market. Drafting a WR seems to obvious route.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that baseball is over I have more time to watch on saturday. What wrs should I be looking at?