Free Agency Wide Receiver Options for 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

I think it has become clear we need a #1 type wr or at the very least that dependable pair of hands that has the knack of getting open in clutch situations. You can criticize the Rams for their lack of development of WR but how much luck does the rest of the league have? Even the extremely high draft choices have shown mixed results especially their first year or two. So if you want a guy to give you instant help at the position, maybe fa is your best bet. Here is a list of guys you can overpay for next year. Impressed? Sure theres a couple guys there worth taking a chance on. In my opinion our best play is to stick with what we have. Hopefully they have re-vamped the passing game a bit and shifted Brian Quick into a role where he is now Foles primary read especially on 3rd down. Find out if he can regain his form before he was injured and be that guy we have been waiting for.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Jeffery is the name on that list everyone will want....unless CH gets him under extension soon he will be one of the bigger name FA (they could also FT). Noticed Quick is actually on that list, right now have to assume we can get him back cheap...but that depends...how does he do the rest of the year. If he does well he might have a market and will cost us more, if he doesn't well then do we resign him and hope the real Quick was the 3 games we saw good things of last year?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd sign Crabtree to a prove-it deal. Re-up with Quick, sign Crabtree, maybe make a run at Jeffery if we think we can get him in here... that'd be a nice bit of stuff.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If Jeffery hits the open market, I'd be willing to pay him top 5 money if that's what it took. He's the real deal, a special #1 WR.

I'd also be looking at Travis Benjamin on that list. While I think he's probably a better #2 than #1, he's a playmaker and is having a great year.

I'm not sure what our cap situation will be like, but if we have the space, we need to try and land a guy like Jeffery.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Alshon is really the only guy worth throwing money at, but personally I'd rather make sure we get our own players locked up 1st before giving out the type of money Alshon will command. Marvin Jones is another guy I think is worth some money but I doubt he leaves cincy

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm rolling with what we have...Big name, high contract wrs are a crazy investment....Draft only here....name a big name FA wr that elevated his team? Don't say Moss without Brady...

Limey

Rookie
We have a bunch of our own guys who will be FAs if we don't extend them, including both of our current starting corners, plus Barron, Fairley, Sims and Hayes, apart from Quick and Zuerlein. I think we try to resign at least one of the corners, Barron and at least one of the DEs, Zuerlein and probably Quick if he plays well and stays healthy. If they want to keep Brockers beyond the end of next year, they probably need to work something out with him during the season, and they might want to work extended deals out with Austin and Ogletree in the offseason, like they did with Quinn. If we choose to cut bait with Saffold and Cook, there might be some money for an outside FA, but given Fisher's emphasis on having a strong D and a running game, I'm not sure how high up his wish list a #1 WR is.

Stel

Starter
I'd rather draft one of the top WR prospects early than sign someone else's FA. If they think their player is too expensive to sign, why wouldn't we?
Tired of signing cast offs and projects. Time to get a top WR early in the draft.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm rolling with what we have...Big name, high contract wrs are a crazy investment....Draft only here....name a big name FA wr that elevated his team? Don't say Moss without Brady...
Well, Brandon Marshall is a huge part of why the Jets are having such a good year. Maclin's making a nice impact in KC. Steve Smith was massive for Baltimore after he left Carolina. Decker had a good year last season in New York.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, Brandon Marshall is a huge part of why the Jets are having such a good year. Maclin's making a nice impact in KC. Steve Smith was massive for Baltimore after he left Carolina. Decker had a good year last season in New York.
Better? Meh...marginally at best...Jets..now that running game & defense with Fitz.....KC, they look terrible overall...Terrible downfield passing game...terrible on 3rd downs too...just saw some stat....Steve Smith...beast...hof type talent....but the key is, check out Carolina without him...hmmmmm...what could the reason be ? How do they win??? HMMMMM?!? Decker? Who? Game changer? LOL...it's hard to notice he still plays...A huge reason you DON'T get wr off the FA wire...unless you are sure it's a HOF type talent that still has plenty of juice left.... I'll say this, Brandon Marshall is the real deal, and I can see he may have an impact....But the defense & running game are probably more important than one player...on the overall team successes....to me, the key is Fitz to their offense...I wonder could Geno do the same? New coaching staff....

Rainram

Starter
Josh Gordon??:notsure::popcorn:

(could find the "stir the pot" smiley, or "hide behind the couch" smiley.)

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I'd rather draft one of the top WR prospects early than sign someone else's FA. If they think their player is too expensive to sign, why wouldn't we?
Tired of signing cast offs and projects. Time to get a top WR early in the draft.

Not all FA become FA because the team doesnt think they are worth the money they want. I can easily see Alshon become a FA because he wants to join a better team. And a guy like Marvin Jones who is good enough to get more than what the Bengals might be able to offer due to having to lack of cap space available.

With that said, I do agree that going after FA wrs usually isnt a smart idea, but until we see who is available and at what price, its tough to be certain

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Better? Meh...marginally at best...Jets..now that running game & defense with Fitz.....KC, they look terrible overall...Terrible downfield passing game...terrible on 3rd downs too...just saw some stat....Steve Smith...beast...hof type talent....but the key is, check out Carolina without him...hmmmmm...what could the reason be ? How do they win??? HMMMMM?!? Decker? Who? Game changer? LOL...it's hard to notice he still plays...A huge reason you DON'T get wr off the FA wire...unless you are sure it's a HOF type talent that still has plenty of juice left.... I'll say this, Brandon Marshall is the real deal, and I can see he may have an impact....But the defense & running game are probably more important than one player...on the overall team successes....to me, the key is Fitz to their offense...I wonder could Geno do the same? New coaching staff....
Nobody ever said that a top-tier WR by himself can be an offense, but you did ask for examples of big-name WRs who have elevated their teams. I'm not disagreeing with you that most WR acquisitions end up busting - Torrey Smith, Mike Wallace, VJax, DJax, and so on - but they don't all... and I'd imagine that the ratio of top-tier WR FA busts-to-successes is pretty much in line with the ratio of highly-drafted WR busts-to-successes.

Oh, Anquan Boldin. He's a good example. So is Emmanuel Sanders.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Decker? Who? Game changer? LOL...it's hard to notice he still plays...

If you are noticing then you aren't watching....Decker has 4 TD this season, 1 in each of the last 4 weeks.

The rest of your statement is silly. No one is talking about trading an entire Defense for a 1 player, the question is do you improve your team by signing 1 solid WR. I think most people would say yes...now if you are saying you think it is sign 1 WR vs. 1 other guy already on the team then the exact 2 need to be matched up for real comparison. To blindly say never sign a FA WR, well then I would ask what if anything you would sign as a FA ...but I think a blanket rule like that is a dangerous thing, and may lead to missed oppertunities

Athos

Legend

Smith is a terrible downfield passer. WR talent was one issue, but you don't just have no WR catching TDs for extended periods of time. Even Sam got that down with mediocre talent.

There are only a few I'm looking at, in FA WRs.

Jeffery is the obvious choice.
Jones is interesting if that injury problem wasn't worrisome.

Then you have Randle, Sanu, and Crabtree who are more #2 WRs.

So basically, if it isn't Alshon, go to the draft: Boyd, Treadwell, Williams, or Cooper.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We have a bunch of our own guys who will be FAs if we don't extend them, including both of our current starting corners, plus Barron, Fairley, Sims and Hayes, apart from Quick and Zuerlein. I think we try to resign at least one of the corners, Barron and at least one of the DEs, Zuerlein and probably Quick if he plays well and stays healthy. If they want to keep Brockers beyond the end of next year, they probably need to work something out with him during the season, and they might want to work extended deals out with Austin and Ogletree in the offseason, like they did with Quinn. If we choose to cut bait with Saffold and Cook, there might be some money for an outside FA, but given Fisher's emphasis on having a strong D and a running game, I'm not sure how high up his wish list a #1 WR is.

Good post. Its ALL about OUR guys this off-season. Did you see Jeffrey drop the ball in clutch time yesterday against the Lions? NO FREAKING WAY. We have those hands on Cook. I-Keed I-Keed . Sign our own and extend Brockers is a must. I saw three great DE's this weekend in College football Mich. St. , Ohio St. ,Baylor just to mention a few . Lots of ILB's . I love Reggie Ragland from Bama we could get later. Will be JL's replacement , but not yet. (He calls Bama "D".)

WR's are becoming more prevelent as the season goes on. CB's too. Hoping we go on a streak THIS year and Vikes will be a major War in next 4. Then we face a playoff bengals team there. NEED C. Long back healthy for that one. Filling in for AO the rest of the way will be tough. I'll take whichever CB we can afford of our own after the season. Jenkins may be too rich for our tastes .
Sanu,Taint & Jones all wr's for the Bengals that seem to be reliable recievers over most of what we have. Can the Bengals sign all 3? Doubt it. Hell lets at least improve what we don't have in Quick and Britt.:grouphug:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed that A.Jeffery is the obvious target, also Benjamin. James Jones is old(31) but is having a good year.
Then there's Josh Gordon who is more talented than anyone on that list. He's eligible for reinstatement in February. I'm kicking the tires heavily on Gordon.
If by the end of this season we're all still sitting around waiting on guys like Bailey, Britt and Quick to start scoring TD's then i'm open to ANYTHING in the offseason including blowing up the entire WR core minus T.Austin who is now an integral part of the few things this offense does well.

Stel

Starter
Not all FA become FA because the team doesnt think they are worth the money they want. I can easily see Alshon become a FA because he wants to join a better team. And a guy like Marvin Jones who is good enough to get more than what the Bengals might be able to offer due to having to lack of cap space available.

With that said, I do agree that going after FA wrs usually isnt a smart idea, but until we see who is available and at what price, its tough to be certain

Possibly, but I can't think of a single high quality FA who left his original team to play elsewhere for less money. Can you?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Jeffery is going to have teams lining up to sign him. I'd rather not pay the super high price that will no doubt be required to acquire his services (and that's assuming he even becomes available - I feel Chicago will find a way to keep him in the fold). This is a run-first team. And with Gurley's arrival it is clearer than ever. No WR will be worth to us what Jeffery will command. He just won't get the ball enough.

We've had good luck with players that have supposed character issues under Fisher. I'd be very interested in Gordon if it is at all feasible. We should be able to get him for much less than what Jeffery.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Possibly, but I can't think of a single high quality FA who left his original team to play elsewhere for less money. Can you?

I'm sure theres at least 1 example, but not that I can think of. But that wasnt my point anyway. What I meant was if majority of the league views Alshon as a guy that can get say 12-13m annually and hes getting around the same money from another team as he would from the Bears, the difference in his decision could easily be joining the better team. And in that case its not that his team didnt think he was worth the money, its more so that he wanted out.

I know its slightly different but Randal Cobb just took less to stay with Packers. The packers didnt necessarily offer him less cuz they didnt think he wasnt worth it, but because they needed that additional money for other players. But in the end he took less to play with the better team. While stay with a team and leaving a team while taking less is slightly different, its still the same concept of taking less money to be on a more competitive team

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nobody ever said that a top-tier WR by himself can be an offense, but you did ask for examples of big-name WRs who have elevated their teams.
Elevated their teams....I can hardly think of one FA wr that made a significant impact...Especially the big names....They do tear down teams salary structure...

The rest of your statement is silly. No one is talking about trading an entire Defense for a 1 player, the question is do you improve your team by signing 1 solid WR.
I said nothing about trading....I only pointed out that acquiring a high priced FA wr is silly...It rarely improves your team overall...They can help very good teams...

Edit....man Decker makes $6.5 mil this year...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/eric-decker/

here are his season stats:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2015.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DeckEr00.htm
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13271/eric-decker

show me a super bowl winner with overpaid wideouts? avg. stats with superstar contracts? at wr? where? which teams?

There are only a few I'm looking at, in FA WRs.
Can't believe you Athos...I know you know better...Alshon? Really? Alshon Jefferies? I bet he'd turn into the fat boy we all saw around the draft in 2012...if we signed him to a huge contract...

Draft...I don't care if it's a knucklehead...I don't care if he's raw...I just want him on a rookie deal, if he works out, cool. Re-sign him....You can only fix teams permanently through the draft...

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Elevated their teams....I can hardly think of one FA wr that made a significant impact...Especially the big names....They do tear down teams salary structure...
This can be extended to almost any position on the field. In the NFL, it's hard to get any FA to move teams unless they're just looking to cash in. Look what happened when Suh moved teams, and McCown post-Bears, and Matt Flynn, and Nnamdi Asomugha, and Ray Edwards, and Carl Nicks, and Albert Haynesworth, and Scott Wells. You'll end up spending FA money, and pretty much any "big-name" guy who hits the market is a huge risk. A huge risk with a big cap number.