Free Agency Wide Receiver Options for 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Alshon won't hit FA. And that sucks. Because he's worth a big contract. Guy has ridiculously strong hands and bullies DBs. He's exactly what we need.

The Bears are completely rebuilding their team. They might deal him in a firesale. If it meant that we would make the Super Bowl this year, would you do it for a first?

fearsomefour

Legend
I am probably cutting Britt and Cook after this season, the saving there (estimated 4.8M and 5.6M by Over The Cap) could be applied to the WR position. What kind of WR are you going to get for 9-10M a year? I don't know. A true top WR is running more in the range of 13M or so, a number I would not pay for a FA.
The Rams are about $39M under the cap for next year now. I am ball parking $20M of that to resign JJ and Tru, another $5M to resign Barron and about the same for Quick and Barnes....doesnt leave a ton. To be clear my number one priority going into a FA season where the Rams have tons of FA would be to resign JJ, Johnson and Barron. Keeping the D line and secondary the strengths of the team should be job 1. I just can't see dropping huge money on a WR. If keeping our own guys in house is a priority I don't see the money to do it. Quick, Austin, Bailey I think they can all be effective. I am drafting a pass catching TE to replace Cook.
The Rams have 5th or 6th most cap room right now for next year at $39.8M. Get those key players on D (JJ, Johnson, Barron) wrapped up before FA period starts if possible. A team like Oakland with $71M in space or SF with about the same as us is going to come calling. To me spending a ton of money on a WR just is not wise.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bears are completely rebuilding their team. They might deal him in a firesale. If it meant that we would make the Super Bowl this year, would you do it for a first?

Yes. But that's not something I could possibly know beforehand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I hate this too...but wide receivers typically take 3 years to develop.....I was told this about 5 years ago...started yelling Jerry Rice...and sure enough...look over some serious wrs....and most took around 3 years....and last year, Quick's year 3 looked pretty good b4 the injury....i still wonder what he was gonna do with Bradford...

Quick's first 4 games in year three looked good. His last three he looked pretty ordinary. I do like his run blocking. I don't know why we'd view him as a legitimate #1 WR right now though. I wonder what he would have done with Bradford sometimes too, but it's irrelevant anymore. He needs to turn it on fast IMO or he's not worth resigning.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If we could cut Britt and Cook then come out of FA with JJ, Alshon, and maybe Tru....we'd be set. If the Rams had a game changer at WR like the do at RB imagine what it would do for this team. Look and see what Cooper is doing in Oakland.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we could cut Britt and Cook then come out of FA with JJ, Alshon, and maybe Tru....we'd be set. If the Rams had a game changer at WR like the do at RB imagine what it would do for this team. Look and see what Cooper is doing in Oakland.
Look who is throwing him the ball

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm throwing a contract at Josh Gordon with mostly incentives. Low risk, high reward.
I'm on the same page. I wonder though(just for shits & grins), can a player serving a suspension be involved in a trade?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd rather draft one of the top WR prospects early than sign someone else's FA. If they think their player is too expensive to sign, why wouldn't we?
Tired of signing cast offs and projects. Time to get a top WR early in the draft.

This^
1002_TBoyd_inside.jpg

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I did. He didn't do anything else. Not one single thing.

I disagree that he isn't worth resigning...but I do fully agree that at this point you can't expect or even hope he is a #1 if you do.

If he cuts loose the second half and look like a legit #1 then we should try to resign him...but reality is if he does do that he will cost (realize I am talking more than 1 or 2 games here).

If he doesn't step up for more than a few games then you can get him cheap (like league min) - but fans need to realize that he is being signed as a #3 or 4, he can not be expected or assumed to be a #1 receiver.
they have to many players to keep/sign to overpay him for "potential" at this point...he either produces or doesn't. And they should not try to sell the fans on the idea that he is a #1.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'd sign Crabtree to a prove-it deal. Re-up with Quick, sign Crabtree, maybe make a run at Jeffery if we think we can get him in here... that'd be a nice bit of stuff.

Some kind of bias not based or supported by any stats what so ever, but I wouldn't pay Crabtree $12 (as in 12.00) to scrub the locker room floor (even if the supplied his own toothbrush)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I did. He didn't do anything else. Not one single thing.
The position requires a reliance on one's QB to like, throw the ball his way...I did see Foles look his way...only to be sacked since Quick wasn't looking back at him...Who's fault? Who's to blame? Of course many will say Quick....but Foles shoulda let him know, going to you if this look is here (off coverage)....oh well....
So he didn't do anything...In fact, I'd like to know what the other receivers DID? What receiver DID ANYTHING?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Some kind of bias not based or supported by any stats what so ever, but I wouldn't pay Crabtree $12 (as in 12.00) to scrub the locker room floor (even if the supplied his own toothbrush)
...ex-'9er bias? He's done good things for Oakland this year, much of it being a teacher/leader for their own young WR corps. I wonder if he could do for Quick/Bailey/Austin what Stephen Davis did for SJax back in the day.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The position requires a reliance on one's QB to like, throw the ball his way...I did see Foles look his way...only to be sacked since Quick wasn't looking back at him...Who's fault? Who's to blame? Of course many will say Quick....but Foles shoulda let him know, going to you if this look is here (off coverage)....oh well....
So he didn't do anything...In fact, I'd like to know what the other receivers DID? What receiver DID ANYTHING?

That’s the problem isn't it? Outside of Austin (and Britt's one good play a game) we don't have anybody at WR doing anything. Bailey might be a good #3, but as far as a reliable show up every game WR we don't have it. So why bother resigning them? It's not ALL Foles fault, it's not like our WRs are galloping freely thru the secondary whilst Foles does nothing. They run block well, that's the big bullet point of our WR group, which to Fisher is probably their most valuable trait. Wanna see Todd Gurley make the HOF, give him a good passing game. To me, WR, OL, and QB at this point are absolutely what is keeping this team from being legitimate SB contenders and we need to do something about it if they don't change the situation by the end of the season. IMO based off performance so far only TG and TA should feel safe. JMO.