Francis Tarkenton: Goff not a good QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Lol, just because you were a good QB doesn't mean you're the end all be all of football knowledge.

Kosar and Frank should come to realize that soon.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Freak off Tarkenton. You STILL mad, bro?

deacon-fran-ii.jpg

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Goff has looked good at some moments. Other times he has looked bad. Overall, I'd rate him "meh". And given the train wreck that is the Rams offense, a mediocre grade is actually nothing to fret over at this point. Espcially since it's only been 4 games, we knew he was coming out, and he has flashed. We'll see what he can do the rest of the season and next year. I was hoping to see more out of Goff by now but we are in it for the long haul with him. It'll be a few seasons still - at a minimum - before we find out if he was worth the investment.

He has been far better than his starts suggest. Most of his INTs were passes that hit his WRs right in the hands.

The positive signs I've seen from him are happily what I'd rate among the most important qualities for an NFL QB. He handles pressure very well, despite what the critics claim. It just so happens our pass protection has collapsed since Goff has started. He's being hurried on every pass. Hard for anyone to dominate like that.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/fran-tarkenton-says-he-s-the-greatest-quarterback-ever-112013

roflbot.jpg

Fran Tarkenton says he's the greatest quarterback ever
But hey, at least he said that Peyton Manning is a close second. Once again, we delve into an issue that has no true answer. Here we go
By Sid Saraf/Nov 20, 2013

"I feel like I can outplay any of the quarterbacks that ever played," Tarkenton said in an interview with the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "Go look at my record. Go look at my record in that era and what I did, the results that I got from passing and rushing. ... In my mind, I played better than anybody that has ever played the position."

"It's amazing," Tarkenton said. "I haven't played the game since the 1970s and I'm still up in the top five or six. Think of that. Who else of my era is even close? ... The game has changed, and I'm still sitting up there in pretty good position."

Yep, no doubt about it.
Fran, you are a legend in your own mind.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah my favorite quote from Francis about good young QB's is this.

“He’s the closest thing I’ve seen to myself,” Tarkenton said. “Russell Wilson has some of it. But Manziel has those similarities even more so than Russell.

“Manziel is a quarterback savant.”

If Francis doesn't like Goff that just reassures me he'll be good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tarkenton's 1st game as a pro,
17/23 250 yards, 4 TD 0 INT passer rating 148.6
So I guess Fran might know a little something about how hard it is to be a rookie in the NFL, and how you can still be successful

On the other hand....
His next 4 games?
39/80 446 yards, 0 TD 7 INT passer rating of 29.5
So hey Franny, maybe you want to cut the kid a little slack?

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Wow, his career TD/INT 342/266 That a lot of picks.

On Goff, I hope he gets a QB coach and an OC who will bring out his best and then we shall see.