Four touchdowns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
You know what would be interesting? If you have the raw data handy, it would be interesting to see a scatter graph of offensive points per game vs wins, say, for the last 20 years or so, and then plop a best fit equation on top of that.

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 22.47.52.png

I adjusted points scored by the league average and went back as far as the last expansion. So for every 30 points a team is above the league average they win an additional game.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
View attachment 11675

I adjusted points scored by the league average and went back as far as the last expansion. So for every 30 points a team is above the league average they win an additional game.

Hey, that was awesome!! Well done!!

By any chance, could you do the same with defense and points allowed?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Hey, that was awesome!! Well done!!

By any chance, could you do the same with defense and points allowed?

I can, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, it's 11pm here and I've got work tomorrow :sleep:

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I'm sure Case doesn't want to lose. It's not his fault Fisher basically pulled him out of he game on those last 3 run plays. We moved the ball very well down the field. Why not try the fake reverse jet sweep again and throw over the middle to Cook? That play always seems to be wide open every single time. We ran it three times this year.

Exactly. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win. We need more Herm Edwards and less Jeff Fisher!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Tagging @RAGRam @flv

S shape makes a ton more intuitive sense than something linear. Can't have more than 16, can't have less than zero. The shape has to flatten out somewhere on both ends as we approach those limits. If we could get the formula for that S shape, look where the Rams are on the curve. Just eye-balling it, one could reason that the steepest incline is pretty close to X=0 (league average). The scatters are kinda blobby, not a concise pattern, so this is all a bit of a stretch, but let's go with it anyway.

League total 2015 for points for (and points against) was 365, 22.8 ppg.
Rams had 280 points scored, 75 below league average, 17.5 ppg, 5.3 ppg below league average
Rams allowed 330 points, 35 points below league average, 20.8 ppg, 2.2 below league average.

Presuming that the S pattern is correct, that would suggest that the Rams would do better striving for league average on O (where they benefit from that steep X=0 tangent) rather than continuing to trying to improve the D where the laws of diminishing returns would take effect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice post @Stel .

I think first off Williams did an admirable job keeping the team in games in spite of some significant injuries with his creative use of packages that maximized the talent he had. I know many will lament the defensive ranking not being top 5 like we wanted it to be, but I'm not going to do that personally.

The silver lining for us here is that Fisher is not going to F around this year with the offense. We should be safe from him getting all crazy with high defensive picks in this draft, for example. He knows that he has to use some draft capital on the offense particularly at wideout and QB. He also is going to need to spend some cashish on a WR that isn't a Titans castoff.

The offense has some really nice pieces in the OL groundwork that was laid this season and Gurley at RB. Also, I would hope that Boras or whoever is OC realizes they can do some Faulk-like things with Gurley in the passing game. But we'll have to wait and see.