Four players who are exceeding expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Its been a rough start to the 2022 season. A lot of injuries, and some players off to disappointing starts.

There are some players who are playing at a high level, but were expected to do so (Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey, for example).

Four players, however, jump out at me as having exceeded expectations thus far, so I thought they deserved a nod:

A.J. Jackson
He is a singular bright spot on an OL that has been decimated by injuries and has had a disastrous start. After filling in at OG, he's now being counted on to replace Joe Noteboom at LT. He looked the part last Sunday, so hopefully he can solidify that key spot. Not bad for an undrafted player.

Ben Skowronek
He has achieved a bit of a folk hero status by playing the FB spot and throwing some noteworthy blocks. He has also registered 23 receptions on 29 targets (79.3% catch rate - 3rd highest among NFL WRs this year) and a TD run. With Van Jefferson returning, he may not see as many targets going forward, but he deserves credit for his contributions thus far.

Derion Kendrick
The Rams have had some injuries at CB too, and Kendrick got his turn as the "next man up." He may stay up even when some of the others return. He has played with a lot of confidence (a must for the position) and has put up some impressive numbers, including a completion percentage allowed of 53.1%, a passer rating allowed of 84.5, and a missed tackle rate of only 5.3%. Definitely good value from a Day 3 draft pick.

Marquise Copeland
With Bobby Brown, who was supposed to be in the DT rotation, suspended, and Greg Gaines fighting a shoulder injury, Copeland has had to step up (he has 82 snaps so far, compared to 108 all of last season). He's done a nice job, helping the Rams stay strong against the run. Like Skowronek, his role might diminish as the season goes on and players (Brown) return. He's played his role, though, and could fight to stay on the field.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That is a great list @AvengerRam.

I might add Bobby Wagner. I think ROD expected him to be solid, but he’s been that and more. Loving the Wagner signing!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Agree with top 3.

Copeland graded out very well last year and I don’t think there’s anything greater than expected about his performance.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Aj Jackson has been quite the UDFA gift, and should the Rams draft another top IOLineman during the next pre-season, our OL depth may be better than it has been for years.

Skowronek has done everything asked of him, standing in for Van Jeff while Robinson's been struggling and making Tutu largely disappear, he's been a 7'th round success story.

You have to love seeing Derion Kendrick's development, both he and the recently injured Grant Haley really stepped up at the right time with Hill & Durant sidelined. Next year this CB class is going to be a team strength again after losing Darious Williams to free agency.

Copeland is another due his credit for stepping in and up as Bobby Brown was suspended, Gaines playing injured, and our Edge rush largely disappearing. With Bobby Brown back, will it be Hoecht or Jonah Williams getting waived soon ?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Van Jefferson needs to work his way back into the lineup behind Skowronek.

Unless Van Jefferson wants to play fullback.

Plus we can't lose the production in the pass game.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Looks like Ernest Jones has taken a major step forward. Really happy with how he's developing.

~ArkyRamsFan~
We've been really bad shape now if it wasn't for him.

Great mid round draft pick that would have been a first if people had known.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

I think Van will step in right away above Skow. They like his ability to stretch the field.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Three more names to add to the list:

Grant Haley. Too bad he got hurt. He went from "who the heck is that" to "this guy's solid."

Jalen Ramsey. A lot of rumblings that he'd "lost a step" after getting torched a few times in the playoffs. But Jalen has reclaimed his elite status by making big time plays in crucial moments.

Brandon Powell. He's still good on special teams, but he's contributing on offense, too. Always gives 100%.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Defiinitely a good list. Powell and Haley pleasant surprises as well.

How bout some love for our Punter, good ole whats his name

fearsomefour

Legend

They are very different players obviously.
I think getting Van back may allow Robinson to be used in a role better suited for him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Defiinitely a good list. Powell and Haley pleasant surprises as well.

How bout some love for our Punter, good ole whats his name
I thought Haley played well when given the shot.
Old Not Johnny Hecker is punting very well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think Van will step in right away above Skow. They like his ability to stretch the field.
The way McVay usually does it, you're probably right.

But I'm not sure this is going to help our run game.

Which is already deficient.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The way McVay usually does it, you're probably right.

But I'm not sure this is going to help our run game.

Which is already deficient.
I don't expect a one size fits all solution. They both will have their own packages. Van will be used to open up the pass game and Skow will continue his hybrid role. McVay needs to figure out how to run and pass when both are on the field so personnel packages don't become tells.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I imagine Van's return will relegate Skow to being the hybrid FB. He'll see the field primarily when they want that element out there. And he can also shift to the line and handle himself reasonably well as wideouts go, so he gives us a 12 type feel which is nice given the status of our TE depth.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Nice to have a few players exceeding expectations. I just wish we had more players who could at least meet the expectations. :unsure:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
W
I imagine Van's return will relegate Skow to being the hybrid FB.
Why not try Skow at TE? He can catch, he can block, neither linebackers or safeties will be able to cover him... just a thought.