Forget QB, let's talk run game!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This team needs a running game coordinator. And Bill Callahan should get a call as soon as Dallas gets knocked out of the playoffs. And if not him, Rick Dennison, a prize pupil of the Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme, who is just wasting away as a QB coach for the Ravens. Again, Fisher said no coaching changes, but I'd bring him in as offensive coordinator to get this running game going. At least with him, you don't need All-Pros at every OLine position to build a successful rushing attack.

Well, I'll say that the one thing with Schottenheimer that I've generally been impressed with is the running game (with the exception of running Tavon Austin up the A-gap). I think he's done some creative things with the running game to deal with the lack of strength up the middle.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, I'll say that the one thing with Schottenheimer that I've generally been impressed with is the running game (with the exception of running Tavon Austin up the A-gap). I think he's done some creative things with the running game to deal with the lack of strength up the middle.

That's where I disagree.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Memphis, you know the one thing you CAN'T do on a message board is disagree with another poster!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Mizzou's center looks awful good. I wonder where he will get drafted? We need a center and a guard more than anything in this draft. We have had terrible luck with FAs so I don't like that option.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
The Ravens won a super bowl with a hack QB and a defense that was lights out freakishly good. The Rams are close to being as good defensively. Build the freaking Oline and pound the rock, eventually free agent QB's will be beating down the door to be let in.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Our run game was 20th in the league! That's atrocious. And... focusing on it is also the quickest way to fix the offense.

There really is no option for a franchise QB next year unless we want to trade the house for Mariota or Winston (of which, I'm not sure they're worth it) but there are a lot of options for improving the rushing attack. We've got some great pieces in place already.

Tre Mason
Tavon Austin
Greg Robinson
Roger Saffold (back at RG)
(I'm hesitant to include Barksdale on here as it seemed like his play declined but I wonder if putting Roger next to him will fix that up)

One of the worst part of our run game was up the gut. We've struggled for years running through the A-gap.

If all we did was get a better guard and center than what we have, we could push the rushing attack way up in terms of yards per cary, effectiveness, etc...

We're not gonna get the offense fixed with a QB next year unless Bradford comes back and takes off (highly unlikely but I'll wish for it!) but if we just fix the run attack, we really could be a force even in the NFC West.
Be it our QB or Our Rushing attack, It all boils down to Fixing our O-Line or the Offence is Stalled!!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Thanks to his running game coordinator / OLine coach Bill Callahan whom the Rams should be all over once the Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs.
Very, very interesting... what if our running game problems aren't related to our Guards & Tackles, but the guy "coaching them up"?
What if, to some extent, our o-line problems were related to Boudreau? I know he's got a great rep, but it's hard to argue w/ the success of Dallas' OLine. If Bill Callahan is just that much better than Bou, he'd be a great pick-up.
That being said, I think the only way he'd make a move to another team is vertically. He'd have to be offered more than just Oline coach. Hasn't Callahan been an HC before? could he serve as our OC???

Athos

Legend
Mizzou's center looks awful good. I wonder where he will get drafted? We need a center and a guard more than anything in this draft. We have had terrible luck with FAs so I don't like that option.

He's only a junior. He's likely going to stay another year. The OLine class is deep this year. Unless he gets a high 2nd, low 1st, doubt he goes anywhere.

The Ravens won a super bowl with a hack QB and a defense that was lights out freakishly good. The Rams are close to being as good defensively.

I dunno if we're there yet.

--------

Far as the run game goes......need a stud guard and a legit C.

But I've always wanted a big nasty RB. Like a Bell, Lynch, Lacy, Foster, Hill, Forte type.

We could trade down in the 1st and pick up Gurley and have a freakish one-two punch of Gurley and Mason with a dash of Tavon.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If we don't fix the OL it doesn't matter what other changes we make on the offense and that goes for the run and pass games.

SaCkaveli20

Rookie
Name
Chris
I think we can find offensive lineman help in FA so I say we go in this direction...

"Well-rounded skill set and is elite in two areas: balance and acceleration. Goes zero to 60 in a flash and bursts to top speed quickly with the vision and patience to follow blocks and find holes to daylight.

Has the natural balance to bounce off contact without losing momentum with a physical nature to break arm tackles. Lowers his pads and keeps his legs pumping to generate deceiving power. Hits top speed in a flash to quickly get to the second level and beyond."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B4GcJln_gM

I think we can find offensive lineman help in FA so I say we go in this direction...

"Well-rounded skill set and is elite in two areas: balance and acceleration. Goes zero to 60 in a flash and bursts to top speed quickly with the vision and patience to follow blocks and find holes to daylight.

Has the natural balance to bounce off contact without losing momentum with a physical nature to break arm tackles. Lowers his pads and keeps his legs pumping to generate deceiving power. Hits top speed in a flash to quickly get to the second level and beyond."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B4GcJln_gM

It's funny, a friend I was watching the Raiders game with said after Tre Mason's 89 yard TD run "so who are we replacing Mason with in this coming draft" Gordon could be the guy.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's only a junior. He's likely going to stay another year. The OLine class is deep this year. Unless he gets a high 2nd, low 1st, doubt he goes anywhere.

I dunno if we're there yet.

--------

Far as the run game goes......need a stud guard and a legit C.

But I've always wanted a big nasty RB. Like a Bell, Lynch, Lacy, Foster, Hill, Forte type.

We could trade down in the 1st and pick up Gurley and have a freakish one-two punch of Gurley and Mason with a dash of Tavon.

I could have sworn that I had seen a stocky bowling ball of a RB who could move the pile and punish tacklers on the team already. Was the name Macy, or Tracy? Anyway I doubt that he's still here otherwise we would have surely used him for red zone and short yardage.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Very, very interesting... what if our running game problems aren't related to our Guards & Tackles, but the guy "coaching them up"?
What if, to some extent, our o-line problems were related to Boudreau? I know he's got a great rep, but it's hard to argue w/ the success of Dallas' OLine. If Bill Callahan is just that much better than Bou, he'd be a great pick-up.
That being said, I think the only way he'd make a move to another team is vertically. He'd have to be offered more than just Oline coach. Hasn't Callahan been an HC before? could he serve as our OC???

It's hard to argue with the success of the Dallas Oline when they took offensive lineman high and hit on them. Zach martin turned out to be a beast, that center they took the year before is pretty good and they had solid tackles. Good picks will make any coach look good.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
You failed to add the 1st round picks of Dallas to the better coaching equation. Roll a turd up in a tortilla and it won't be a burrito despite the cheese and salsa sprinkled in.

reggae

We
Our run game was 20th in the league! That's atrocious. And... focusing on it is also the quickest way to fix the offense.

There really is no option for a franchise QB next year unless we want to trade the house for Mariota or Winston (of which, I'm not sure they're worth it) but there are a lot of options for improving the rushing attack. We've got some great pieces in place already.

Tre Mason
Tavon Austin
Greg Robinson
Roger Saffold (back at RG)
(I'm hesitant to include Barksdale on here as it seemed like his play declined but I wonder if putting Roger next to him will fix that up)

One of the worst part of our run game was up the gut. We've struggled for years running through the A-gap.

If all we did was get a better guard and center than what we have, we could push the rushing attack way up in terms of yards per cary, effectiveness, etc...

We're not gonna get the offense fixed with a QB next year unless Bradford comes back and takes off (highly unlikely but I'll wish for it!) but if we just fix the run attack, we really could be a force even in the NFC West.
need rin D too. I could go for an upgrade at MLB