Forget QB, let's talk run game!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Our run game was 20th in the league! That's atrocious. And... focusing on it is also the quickest way to fix the offense.

There really is no option for a franchise QB next year unless we want to trade the house for Mariota or Winston (of which, I'm not sure they're worth it) but there are a lot of options for improving the rushing attack. We've got some great pieces in place already.

Tre Mason
Tavon Austin
Greg Robinson
Roger Saffold (back at RG)
(I'm hesitant to include Barksdale on here as it seemed like his play declined but I wonder if putting Roger next to him will fix that up)

One of the worst part of our run game was up the gut. We've struggled for years running through the A-gap.

If all we did was get a better guard and center than what we have, we could push the rushing attack way up in terms of yards per cary, effectiveness, etc...

We're not gonna get the offense fixed with a QB next year unless Bradford comes back and takes off (highly unlikely but I'll wish for it!) but if we just fix the run attack, we really could be a force even in the NFC West.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our run game was 20th in the league! That's atrocious. And... focusing on it is also the quickest way to fix the offense.

There really is no option for a franchise QB next year unless we want to trade the house for Mariota or Winston (of which, I'm not sure they're worth it) but there are a lot of options for improving the rushing attack. We've got some great pieces in place already.

Tre Mason
Tavon Austin
Greg Robinson
(I'm hesitant to include Barksdale on here as it seemed like his play declined but I wonder if putting Roger next to him will fix that up)

One of the worst part of our run game was up the gut. We've struggled for years running through the A-gap.

If all we did was get a better guard and center than what we have, we could push the rushing attack way up in terms of yards per cary, effectiveness, etc...

We're not gonna get the offense fixed with a QB next year unless Bradford comes back and takes off (highly unlikely but I'll wish for it!) but if we just fix the run attack, we really could be a force even in the NFC West.
Barksdale is a solid run blocker. It was the pass pro that bit him at times this year.
But yeah. Get some big maulers up front and knock some guys off the line.
Guard and center would improve our offense in every way.
I've read where Fisher says we want to run the ball at will. The defense knows it's coming but can't do anything to stop it.
I would love to see that as well.
I know it can be done, because teams use to run on us all day.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I'm with you here. Need a new C, RT, and LG cause Saffold needs to go RG where he dominated in 2013, and a couple more quality BU's. So that's 5 new OL the Rams need at the very least.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not me, QB is the real topic.

Get a C, RG, resign Barks and we are good. Nothing more to say besides a passing game will make them back out of the box. That starts with getting a QB and protecting him.

Back to QB...

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Getting help for the Oline is one of the reasons I'm loath to give up a pick for a QB this offseason. We don't have a 4th or 6th. Even if we pick up someone in FA we really need to upgrade the oline across the board including backups.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Not me, QB is the real topic.

Get a C, RG, resign Barks and we are good. Nothing more to say besides a passing game will make them back out of the box. That starts with getting a QB and protecting him.

Back to QB...

If you got a franchise QB in your backpack, please pull him out, I'd love it! ;)

Big Willie

Starter
Saffold and Robinson are keepers. Get a FA Guard, draft a mauler Tackle that can play either spot (injury possibilities); Barnes, Jones and Rhaney battle for Center, get a FA swing guy, and we are good to go.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Saffold and Robinson are keepers. Get a FA Guard, draft a mauler Tackle that can play either spot (injury possibilities); Barnes, Jones and Rhaney battle for Center, get a FA swing guy, and we are good to go.

I think a pretty good OT will be available to us around 10 if we stay there though I think as other posters said that trading down for more picks could be a smart move. If we stay, grab an OT and Barksdale - if we keep him - goes back to being a swing tackle (which we desperately need).

Memphis Ram

Legend

Tre Mason
Tavon Austin
Greg Robinson

NOW YOU ARE TALKING MY LANGUAGE.

This offseason when Snead mentioned that they would continue with what they found offensively in 2013 (run-first, play action passing offense), I automatically assumed that the running game would be focused upon more in an effort to build a top notch one. But, this team passed more than the did the year before so, of course, the turnovers increased.

Bradford or no Bradford, the running game needs to be a primary focus this offseason and I hope that is what Fisher meant by changes to come.

WestCoastRam

Legend
NOW YOU ARE TALKING MY LANGUAGE.

This offseason when Snead mentioned that they would continue with what they found offensively in 2013 (run-first, play action passing offense), I automatically assumed that the running game would be focused upon more in an effort to build a top notch one. But, this team passed more than the did the year before so, of course, the turnovers increased.

Bradford or no Bradford, the running game needs to be a primary focus this offseason and I hope that is what Fisher meant by changes to come.

Absolutely, and one of the things to make a run first, play-action passing offense work is eliminating 2nd and long plays. Too often runs were stopped in our backfield on first down due to pressure through the A and B gaps. We need better play from our guards and center. We need better guards and center.

Big Willie

Starter
I think a pretty good OT will be available to us around 10 if we stay there though I think as other posters said that trading down for more picks could be a smart move. If we stay, grab an OT and Barksdale - if we keep him - goes back to being a swing tackle (which we desperately need).
I would take Barksdale as a swing guy....but I think his cap number would be too high for that. Swing guy should be below $1.5 Million per year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Is it torn around the knees?

boo-o.gif

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Absolutely, and one of the things to make a run first, play-action passing offense work is eliminating 2nd and long plays. Too often runs were stopped in our backfield on first down due to pressure through the A and B gaps. We need better play from our guards and center. We need better guards and center.

True. But, I'm more concerned with focus. IMO, if Brian Schottenhiemer were like his dad, after 3 years this team would be more physical offensively and would be able to run the football come hell or high water. But, I'd guess the massive playbook these guys have got to learn is probably 80-90% passing plays/formations/protections which involves more thinking and less just playing.

Whatever happened to just punching the guy across from you in the mouth and imposing your will physically. Or as Fisher said, "This is what we’re running. Stop it." He says that the team is not there yet, but they won't be until they simplify and excel in something. And what better than the running game which reduces turnovers and aids the passing game and defense.

This team needs a running game coordinator. And Bill Callahan should get a call as soon as Dallas gets knocked out of the playoffs. And if not him, Rick Dennison, a prize pupil of the Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme, who is just wasting away as a QB coach for the Ravens. Again, Fisher said no coaching changes, but I'd bring him in as offensive coordinator to get this running game going. At least with him, you don't need All-Pros at every OLine position to build a successful rushing attack.

Last edited: