For those who said Gurley lacks burst

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
Ability to throw a 98 MPH fastball, skilled at throwing strikes. If you want to split hairs and call it athleticism so be it. We are talking about the same thing.
A LG doesn't need a RB to do his job, hit his block and sustain. Most RBs need that LG, like you said. Meaning, the RB spot is relatively over valued unless you have a true difference maker. Is that Gurley? Hope so. So far? No.

There it is. That's what you truly think underneath your long post from earlier. And I reckon that's where the difference between you and I differ; which is totally cool.

So you're basically telling me that Gurley's 2015 season (entirely) and the first few games this season performances are not a difference maker? Outside of Shady, Bell, Elliot, maybe Hunt (more to prove), and Johnson.... who else could perform up to Gurley's ability?

Lastly, not being a douche here but as a professional baseball umpire currently in AA(Texas League), a dude that throws 98 doesn't make him have ability or skill. There are plenty of those in the rookie leagues. Being able to locate with consistentcy ='s skill/ability.

Ram65

Legend
This shows the runs in the 4th quarter and the pass catches. Those holes to run through seem to be best he had in a long time. TG is a north and south runner and shows the burst when there is a hole. He isn't the shake n' bake Marshall Faulk type. He does use his jumping ability to go over defenders. He looks smooth catching the ball and putting on the jets. He does finish at the goal line too. He may not have elite vision. Sometimes I think he should go outside and use his speed. Easy to say looking on TV or at highlights and no way to know if it would be better. He is a really good running back but, he needs some holes to run through.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJddFDfoH-8

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
There it is. That's what you truly think underneath your long post from earlier. And I reckon that's where the difference between you and I differ; which is totally cool.

So you're basically telling me that Gurley's 2015 season (entirely) and the first few games this season performances are not a difference maker? Outside of Shady, Bell, Elliot, maybe Hunt (more to prove), and Johnson.... who else could perform up to Gurley's ability?

Lastly, not being a douche here but as a professional baseball umpire currently in AA(Texas League), a dude that throws 98 doesn't make him have ability or skill. There are plenty of those in the rookie leagues. Being able to locate with consistentcy ='s skill/ability.
I'm doing nothing more than agreeing with your argument. A RB needs 10 other guys.
Only a very few don't need that consistently.
Can Gurley be a great back, yes, I think so. i hope so and I enjoy watching him when he gets going.
You're very into defining things by your terms.
Throwing 98 MPH is an ability very few pitchers have.....literally, they do not have the ability to do that...so, yes, that is an ability one would possess. The skill would be in pitching.
Same as running a 4.3 is an athletic ability, but, reveals nothing about a guys skill as a receiver.

JRobinson

MiLB
You're very into defining things by your terms.
Throwing 98 MPH is an ability very few pitchers have.....literally, they do not have the ability to do that...so, yes, that is an ability one would possess.

Eh I digress.

Yeah, definition of terms is what describes things lol.

As I said, I see guys on a nightly basis that throw 98 in the Texas League so that statement is incorrect.

Good convo though bro.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The only RB I've ever seen(this cannot be said enough, SEEN), who were able to do it by themselves is Steven Jackson. If he was on a competent team, he rushes for over 15,000 yards.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He was 16 for 88 on Sunday with another 40+ in the air. Dude isn't just getting back to his old self, he's actually putting up new tape that's going to concern DCs even more because they cannot afford to load the box against him any more.

TG is finally starting to hit his lanes at speed and go. He's a weapon and deserves some cred from the faithful after all the flak he's gotten. He looked like a Pro Bowl player and one of the best players on the field in that game.

Oh and he's one of MANY reasons why I think this offense can get really, really good as Goff acclimates in this scheme. We already have a massively improved offense, but we haven't seen the best of it yet. That's still to come and it's pretty exciting.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Did you not watch the video that started this thread? A linebacker with 4.44 speed had the angle on Gurley and Todd completely motored away from him. I don't know what other evidence you want. I guess when Gurley doesn't rip off 20 yard runs every game it means he doesn't have top end speed.
He has not had a long breakaway run in quite some time now. He is not pulling away once he gets past a tackler. I know Todd is very fast but defenses are taking better angles at him .I never questioned his burst , just didn't see it last year because he couldn't hit a whole.

fearsomefour

Legend
Eh I digress.

Yeah, definition of terms is what describes things lol.

As I said, I see guys on a nightly basis that throw 98 in the Texas League so that statement is incorrect.

Good convo though bro.
So, I say most pitchers and that means I am speaking about what you see at work?
Right, I'm sure you're seeing that at the professional level, not really what I was talking about.
Talking in general terms. Less than 1% of guys in high school or college throw that hard.
The pros, obviously more.
The MLB average FB is lower than A ball and has been for awhile. Probably the same in AA. Goes back to what you said about skill.
And now, I'm going to jump out a window....

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
There's nothing wrong with Gurley......he needs better blocking, especially at the POA. Last year he averaged 1.59 yds before contact; vs the Colts it was 0.84!!! The run blocking was much improved vs Wash, and if we weren't behind he would have had 6 - 8 more carries and he would have easily gone for over 100yds. Better blocking is all TG needs.....and these questions re his lack of burst, vision will be a thing of the past. Give the ball to him 20 - 24 times a game so he can get into a groove.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The thing that bothers me about him is he seems to go down on first contact a lot.
Doesn't mean he doesn't run hard, he does, doesn't mean he isent physical, he is. Just something I noticed. But, that may be me not having an understanding of his core skill set.

This is it I think. Many great backs have extraordinary physical balance (sometimes it's just a lower center of gravity), which is one reason it can be difficult to bring them down. I think Gurley lacks that, but more than makes up for it with several other exceptional abilities.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Don't buy all of that

I think his vision is fine, his burst is fine, his change of direction for a 6'2", 220 lb. back is fine, his explosiveness is fine, his vertical is fine, his receiving skills are fine...what else ya got?

IMO
If all that is "fine" .. .then why is he missing so much of it? what you got?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
5875936579026962_4629d3bd6a955f96027cc0821718f3b90294b75ad56713f43dd3a015dd879a98_large

Spielman is a total tool, who hates the Rams.

gurleyfootball.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have & still do. I don't dislike Gurley & I am fine with him as our main RB. I love to see him used in the passing game is wonderful but the burst I saw @ UG & early in 2015 has not returned as of yet....& yes it appears that I am the only member saying ...that Gurley's burst of the past has yet to re appear.....
Nah, you're not the only one.

It's not about "hating on" him or "bashing" him either. It's just that he looks different from his first 4 games in 2015 (when nobody knew who he was or what he could do). Ever since then he's been struggling to rack up yardage. So what? I also brought this up to Alden Gonzales in one of his FB video chats, and he sort of agreed. We can blame the line, or the idea that defenses are just letting Jared beat them, but it's a visual thing too. I wouldn't have brought it up in the first place if I didn't see something different.

I do agree with @jrry32 about Gurley being a better player as a receiving back (also brought that up to Alden), because he's the most dangerous in space. That's not a bad thing either. Provided you can devise ways to GET him in space. But, I mean, if that was easy, wouldn't Tavon be the more logical choice for that plan of attack? But, we'll see. It's still a new offense for everyone, so there's a good chance Gurley will start racking up those 100+ yard games again on the ground.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not about changing opinions....it's about performing.
I don't understand why questioning a player, regardless of who, is deemed as a negative.
Physical ability? Yes. Speed? Yes. Receiving skills? Yes. Power? Ehh. Performance? Sub par going back over a season.
All true statements.
It's not about wanting to see a player fail....I don't want to see any player fail.
We all know the ability is there as he has played at a high level before.
When I said I thought it was near time other guys got reps at RB that was treated as a treasonous statement by some. Followed by the "I told you so"...."look how wrong you were" posts....which is just silly. Particularly after one week of good performance. Fixing the running game is not as simple as plug in one piece for another at RB. I hope with everything the second half of the Skins game is a sign of things to come. A consistent running game would go a long way to propelling this team (and young QB) to the next level. I believe Gurley is the guy who can help do that. At some point there needs to be a turn around. Hopefully, week 2 second half was the beginning of that with the McVay running game.

My friend, you know I respect your opinion, but something I've noticed that is universal is that fanbases have to have guys to criticize. Even when you're winning, there has to be a punching bag. That's my complaint. If Todd continues to perform, someone else will end up being the punching bag (probably Tavon).