For Rams to make playoff push,offense needs more than Gurley/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
This team needs a #1 WR. Quick was looking the part last year. We need to start giving him targets to see if he can pick up where he left off or not. If he can't, fine. The Rams can look elsewhere. But we need to at least know what we have with him. It is infuriating to think we might have a #1 WR sitting under our noses...

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Cleveland had minimal safety help all game long. I said it we burn them for it and we did. I was getting a little upset because we didn't take a shot in the first half outside of Quick, which didn't even count via penalty and he stepped out before catching it.

We played verrrry conservative in the first half. But nobody in the crowd was overly worried because our D had Josh running for his life all day long. (DANG WHAT A FUN GAME THAT WAS!!! I was literally sad after getting out of the car on my three hour trip back home. That's when it really hit me my fun day was over. I'm still a little sad but I get to do it all again next week. Gotta make this run solo but that's never stopped me from having a great time before. :yess:)

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Although there was a penalty and Quick had stepped out of bounds he made an unbelievable catch on a deep ball from Foles in this game. High pointed it and got two feet in . . . but like I say it wouldn't have counted.

I think all of us agree that we need to see less of Cook. Minus his bad catching, bad blocking, fumbling, etc. He just looks uninterested most of the time. Even on Gurley's big run, Cook is running down the field avoiding blocks. We see tiny-Tavon throw a huge block and then I rewatch the play to see Cook just trying to avoid contact.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But you see now what a true 'playmaker' can offer to a team.

The Rams simply don't have that at WR. And I've been hearing for some time now that the current WR corps is 'good enough'. Well...., no. It simply isn't. There just isn't a consistent 'playmaker' in the bunch.
Despite the one fumble by Cook, what is the problem with the current crop of wrs? Yesterday's game? Looked just like GB without the picks.....

And the Rams WR's simply aren't getting open and making plays...consistently.
How do you know the wrs aren't open?

The WRs just aren't executing on a consistent basis. That's on the players, IMO.
Again, how do WE know the wrs aren't open?

Quick was looking the part last year. We need to start giving him targets to see if he can pick up where he left off or not.
And he looked pretty good last week on the first pass his way....And he really looked good on that pass that sailed out of bounds....I think his feet got down too....I still don't know what is the deal with him too...??? It's gotta be the damn playbook...
but all this stuff lies with Foles & Cig....you can't tell me dudes aint open and you got Just Todd Fucking Gurley on the field...seems like the play action with Gurely & Austin coming around, should have the seams & corner routes open...but hey, I'm just a fan...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think all of us agree that we need to see less of Cook.
Cook still looks the part of #1 weapon to me...he was catching everything...fumbles happen....I'd give him until the halfway point....he'd definitely remain my #2 option on downfield throws....

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Just 1 weapon? were in playoff trouble, we will be lucky just to make a single playoff this year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
We have more than one weapon even as it is, and that's how we've survived so far. Austin and Harkey definitely complimented Gurley yesterday. Cunningham threw a wicked block too.

I know Harkey looked slow when he got the ball, but people have to understand that plays like that are all about keeping the defense honest. To me, the Patriots have a lot of success with multiple tight ends, and the scary thing is they don't have our rushing attack, though they make up for it elsewhere.

My point is that if we only put one or two guys wide, which I am fine with as we are seeing serious success lately and haven't even fully utilized Austin who is improving, then a true number one wide threat would be more optimal than a bunch of mediocrity.

Now I sure am glad we got Britt, but he's our number one wide receiver right now. I guess I was hoping to see more from Quick and Cook both. And i can understand why they haven't traded Cook yet. If he got hot and really turned it on he'd be such a huge cog in this offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
AFAIAC, Todd Gurley is all the evidence needed to realize the Rams simply don't have a WR consistently able to make plays.

When Gurley was drafted, a lot of fans questioned the pick at least partially because they believed the stable of RB already on the roster was 'good enough'. But you see now what a true 'playmaker' can offer to a team.

The Rams simply don't have that at WR. And I've been hearing for some time now that the current WR corps is 'good enough'. Well...., no. It simply isn't. There just isn't a consistent 'playmaker' in the bunch.

And please don't tell me it's all on the coaches. Does anyone think the coaching staff hasn't done as much coaching up of the WR's as has been done with Gurley.(??) Sorry, but if TG30 can accomplish what he has in less than 6 months since being drafted, then our WR's surely should be showing a heckuva lot more than they are given that every one of them has been with the team considerably longer. At some point, everyone has to quit blaming the coaches and accept that the 'talent' just isn't there at WR. I don't care what they did in college, I don't care how many of them have been drafted at whatever pick, or whatever other rationale someone wants to offer up....playmakers make plays. And the Rams WR's simply aren't getting open and making plays...consistently.

I agree with you; but look how NE cranks out receptions to guys like Amendola, Edleman, and Deon Lewis.

Obviously, flat-balls-Brady is very good, but Josh McDaniels gets a LOT of "average" guys open in his scheme.

FrankenRam

Starter
I agree with you; but look how NE cranks out receptions to guys like Amendola, Edleman, and Deon Lewis.

Obviously, flat-balls-Brady is very good, but Josh McDaniels gets a LOT of "average" guys open in his scheme.

I wondered how long it would be before someone countered with the Patriots argument. :)

And I get your point and agree with it to a large degree. But I also wonder if we're underrating guys like Amendola and Edelmann to some degree. IMO, what they lack in pure athletic talent, they more than make up for in football IQ. I'd hazard a guess that if DannyA hadn't been so injury prone in his stint with the Rams, he'd still be here and be the leading receiver.

The one area I think I'd disagree is giving much credit to McDaniels. He may be calling the plays currently, but I think Brady makes him look much better than he is, and Belicheat gets the lion's share of credit for designing their O...at least from the 'big picture' perspective. I may be selling McD short, but if so, he really mailed it in that year he was OC for the Rams.

FrankenRam

Starter

How do you know the wrs aren't open?

Again, how do WE know the wrs aren't open?

Are you suggesting they are? With a straight face?!?! If so, all I can say is....Welcome to the forum Mr Britt! :)

Don't you think if just one of them were doing so consistently Foles would have been finding him by now? While I'm still not sure exactly what to think about Foles, I do think he would be finding a consistently open receiver....if only because you can bet that guy would be putting the bug in his ear every time they huddled up.

And all this isn't to say it's all on the WR corps. I'm sure that part of the problem lies in the OL's inability to keep Foles clean in the pocket more often than not...which probably leads to Foles missing open guys on occasion.

But I'll stick with my original assessment. I.e., Todd Gurley is all the evidence anyone needs to realize the Rams don't have a single WR that comes close to being the talent at WR that Gurley is at RB. What the Rams have is a group of guys who, if the game plan and their matchup on the opposition's D favors them, they are capable of turning in a good game and having a big day. See Tavon Austin about every other game and KBritt with his one 9 catch game and disappearing act in virtually every other. If all the stars line up perfectly, this group is fine. They simply aren't capable of making it happen.....consistently.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Are you suggesting they are? With a straight face?!?! If so, all I can say is....Welcome to the forum Mr Britt! :)

Don't you think if just one of them were doing so consistently Foles would have been finding him by now?
Kinda....and NO my son's name isn't Kenny....but could be Jared....ahahahahahah, LOL!!!

I find it almost IMPOSSIBLE that a wr cannot be open in the amount of time that Foles sometimes has...Several members in here have shown clips of open receivers with Foles unable to locate them...I still think the playbook is in Spanish to Foles, but he's too proud to admit this to the media. Why? He rarely audibles....Very few hand gestures to receivers...Attempting to change routes....very little no huddle...The painfully obvious lack of awareness with time clock issues....IE, the wasted timeouts....the delay of game penalties....just not mastering the plays....unable to locate the 2nd option....the inaccuracy...late balls...under throws...and yea, I think some of them ARE winning consistently, but the player isn't named Austin....maybe it's Bailey, Britt, or Cook....and he's not looking for them...he's looking for Austin....
All this team needs to make the playoffs is consistent QB play....and currently we're not getting that.