For Rams to make playoff push,offense needs more than Gurley/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
For Rams to make playoff push, offense needs more than Todd Gurley
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...yoff-push-offense-needs-more-than-todd-gurley

ST. LOUIS -- Since becoming the St. Louis Rams' starting running back in Week 4, Todd Gurley has quickly emerged as the focal point of the offense.

Gurley has gained 483 yards of offense in those three starts, and as a group the Rams' offense has gained 970 yards. For those keeping score at home, that means Gurley has contributed almost exactly 50 percent of his team's yards from scrimmage.

Gurley's emergence has been instrumental in the Rams winning two of those three games, but if the 3-3 Rams are to truly contend for a spot in the postseason, Gurley's supporting cast needs to be better.

"We still need more production from the offense," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We just can't rely on Todd all the time. At some point, it's going to get hard to run the football until we start making some plays on the outside."

In Sunday's 24-6 win against the Cleveland Browns, Gurley's 163 total yards accounted for 53 percent of the offense's 308 yards and the fourth-highest percentage by a player in a game this season.

Although it happened in only short flashes against the Browns, the Rams' offense got a look at what it could be when someone other than Gurley and, to a lesser extent, Tavon Austin does some damage. In fact, the Rams' most dynamic drive of the day came with about four minutes left in the third quarter and was spurred by receiver Kenny Britt resurfacing from anonymity.

On consecutive plays, quarterback Nick Foles took shots deep to Britt down the right sideline. The first throw drew a 26-yard pass-interference penalty on Cleveland's Pierre Desir. The second resulted in Britt hauling in his only catch of the day, a 41-yard grab to set up Gurley's first NFL touchdown from a yard out.

"Kenny made a great catch and then drew the big penalty because Nick gave him the chance to get it on the outside," Fisher said. "And we have to continue to work at that."

The Rams' offensive woes are well-documented, whether in the form of the offensive line's protection issues or the tendency of their pass-catchers to not actually catch the ball. But one of the biggest issues has been inconsistency from skill-position players other than Gurley and Austin.

The Rams sit last in the league in passing yards per game (177.7); since Gurley became the starter, they've thrown for 475 yards and he alone has run for 433. Britt's 224 receiving yards lead the team, a season total less than Cincinnati's A.J. Green's 227 receiving yards in Week 3 against Baltimore.

From week to week, it has been difficult to predict who is going to be on his game, which makes it hard for Foles to know whom to trust and even more difficult for offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti to identify where to center his game plan aside from Gurley.

But with Gurley emerging as a bona-fide star, it's safe to assume that opposing defenses are going to start loading up the box to stop him and daring Foles and the Rams' anemic passing game to beat them.

Which might also mean that instead of hoping that someone will just step up, the Rams and Cignetti might have to get creative. Against the Browns, that came in the form of a more up-tempo, no-huddle offense.

"The same thing that plagued us over recent weeks and most of the year is we have to get things going earlier and get those first downs under our belt in the first half," Fisher said. "But we picked the tempo up in the second half and cut Nick loose a little bit and we made some plays."

If that's one way the Rams try to provide support for Gurley, it's perfectly OK with Foles.

"I love it," Foles said. "I have a big history in it. It's what I did in college, high school, even in Philly. So I love the offense we're playing. I think it's great to to be able to do that. I think it really helps open things up and create some rhythm."

No matter how the Rams choose to create that rhythm, if they're going to find any semblance of consistency, they need someone from the non-Gurley division of the offense to start making plays on a regular basis.

tragic891

UDFA
+1
This passing offense will not get the Rams into the playoffs... They need to get it together and starts by benching cook and playing bailey more....
Also the oline needs to get it together.. i understand that they are young but they need to play like pros consistently

Big Game

Living The Dream
I know Fisher wants to ground and pound. But please use the no huddle offense more to change up the pace catch the defense off guard. It worked Sunday and i believe it can work against many of the teams we will face for the rest of the year.

Get out to a lead and then have Gurley close it out or protect it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Opponents will figure out a way to stop Gurley... he's only one man.

Cignetti and Fisher need to figure out ways to open up the passing game...

Interesting that - when they decided to actually pass the ball downfield - good things happened (the PI and then almost TD).

Stop playing scared on offense... got to take a few more long, downfield attempts.

Didn't we do that against Seattle game one? I thought we did.

Getting way to conservative on offense lately, for my tastes.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Get out to a lead and then have Gurley close it out or protect it.
It's going to be harder to get out to a lead without an effective, productive (as in points) passing game.

Big Game

Living The Dream
It's going to be harder to get out to a lead without an effective, productive (as in points) passing game.

I agree thats why i feel they should utilize the no huddle offense more, mix it up. We seemed to be more effective passing the ball with the no huddle. Plus Foles seem extremely comfortable throwing the ball in the no huddle.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The bottom line is the Oline. Giving Foles just a half second more and keeping him upright will go a long way toward fixing the passing game.

I don't particularly want a "go to guy" in the passing game either. There should be at least 3 or 4 different guys expecting to catch the ball on any given play and 5 to 8 any game. Let's spread it around and get the ball out a little quicker, not every play has to be slow developing play action. There should be a mix to keep the defense off balance.

Just a little bit more and Gurley will never be shutdown. This guy has already shown he might not get 5 yards every carry but the potential to go for 50 is there every time he touches it. There is no reason to expect someone to figure out a way to stop him, keep giving him the rock and it will happen just like the other great RBs in NFL history.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree thats why i feel they should utilize the no huddle offense more, mix it up. We seemed to be more effective passing the ball with the no huddle. Plus Foles seem extremely comfortable throwing the ball in the no huddle.
Don't count on Fisher allowing that.

He's on record that he isn't a fan of it.

FrankenRam

Starter
AFAIAC, Todd Gurley is all the evidence needed to realize the Rams simply don't have a WR consistently able to make plays.

When Gurley was drafted, a lot of fans questioned the pick at least partially because they believed the stable of RB already on the roster was 'good enough'. But you see now what a true 'playmaker' can offer to a team.

The Rams simply don't have that at WR. And I've been hearing for some time now that the current WR corps is 'good enough'. Well...., no. It simply isn't. There just isn't a consistent 'playmaker' in the bunch.

And please don't tell me it's all on the coaches. Does anyone think the coaching staff hasn't done as much coaching up of the WR's as has been done with Gurley.(??) Sorry, but if TG30 can accomplish what he has in less than 6 months since being drafted, then our WR's surely should be showing a heckuva lot more than they are given that every one of them has been with the team considerably longer. At some point, everyone has to quit blaming the coaches and accept that the 'talent' just isn't there at WR. I don't care what they did in college, I don't care how many of them have been drafted at whatever pick, or whatever other rationale someone wants to offer up....playmakers make plays. And the Rams WR's simply aren't getting open and making plays...consistently.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Opponents will figure out a way to stop Gurley... he's only one man.
I disagree. Gurley is the son of Zeus or Jupiter or some other god. He cannot and will not be stopped.

Hopefully our other guys will click soon and start making plays. Right now it's the Todd Gurley show with sprinkles of Tavon Awesome. I don't know how far away they are from the light switch turning on and the guys consistently making plays on offense is but I hope it is soon.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And please don't tell me it's all on the coaches. Does anyone think the coaching staff hasn't done as much coaching up of the WR's as has been done with Gurley.(??)
Boy, I remember going back and forth with a member on another board who insisted losing was on the coaches.. I believe the phrase was "coaching matters".

I've always maintained that it's a combo, but mainly on the players. The coaches aren't on the field on game day.

I can teach a QB to throw a slant pass and have him practice it every day... but, when the game is on, if he can't execute on it, how is that on the coach?

Never made sense to me.

The WRs just aren't executing on a consistent basis. That's on the players, IMO.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
SPEED KILLS : We have Tavon Austin that took 3 years to really become viable and dare I say consistent in making plays when called on as we are desperate. Yes Stedman Bailey holds the college record for touchdowns at 25 at wr but having hands and even running sharper routes while slow and gets very little if any seperation and our QB has 2.5 seconds and is only a FIRST READ GUY? What do you do?

Is any of the blame (Not that that Helps) to be placed on Coach Sherman? I'm speechless with our wr's and TE's . Quick ? I dare anyone to give me a rational and indepth story on whats up with the severly injured and is he still recovering physically or possibly mentally? I did see ONE PLAY AND TARGET AND DROP and then he is a ghost again. Is he playing? WHY IS COOK STILL IN UNIFORM? You know he has been doing extra Juggs work . Has it helped?

Yes Kendricks and his high salary has a bad finger. Harkey was acting like he was carrying a PIANO while catching a ball and TRYING to run 3 yards in 2 minutes. Harkey had a first down in his hands till we saw someone poured LEAD in his cleats after he caught the ball and it turned into a friggin joke. We can't do that again.

WE NEED SPEED : I want Marquez NOW I want TOON NOW!!!!! Can they catch is ALL that matters. Britt is not all we have. That PI was questionable that set us up, and so was the holding on Tavon Austin that gave us a First Down when another drive had ended.

Greg Zueurlein has had his worst 2 game stretch in Horns (Sorry Not Speed Related) I'll pay for the shrink .:confused:

We need a wide reciever that can show Nick Foles who NEEDS to see seperation on his first and only quick downfield read and is scared stiff of throwing an Interception knowing we have the Smallest room for error with our OL and the constant motion and procedure and lining up offsides penalties that will KILL a drive.:eek:

Can our WR's run the full route tree? We see a successfull reception in one game for a TD then never see that crossing route again. Love the tripps formation we use but is that ALL we have? Especially when Cook is normally in that formation. I wonder if teams plan on covering him or just wait till he drops it first ,and if he catches it THEN slap it out of his hands for a TO?

This team NEEDS SPEED at another Wide Reciever position NOW!!! (Hands Too Please).:censored: With each game we see more run stopping stunts and blitzes that try to stop Gurley early or sack Nick on the way to the hand off. So glad to see the passes to Gurley after faking it to him. We MUST use Gurley now as a fake to get recievers open.

I blame Sherman and read comments by Torry Holt on his displeasure with the drops and production by our guys. Does anyone here have the next idea we will lean on to gain yards past the hurry up we tried and you know Fisher hates that. Tired of watching Nick Foles take BIG hits Early in a game knowing that our Whole game will be effected by that hit in the back of his mind. It worked in Green Bay after that spearing Chest hit early by Blondie. (No Penalty:thinking:)

We will NEED Chris Long back by the vikings game as he brings so much when healthy and fresh to get our "D" even more fired up. Thank The Lord that 213lb Barron can step in for Alec Ogletree and change from Safety to OLB and crush QB's. JUST WOW:grouphug:. Cignetti needs bags of tricks to go with Fishers ST tricks to keep us winning. I know that QB's know when they played the RAMS.:cry:. Sorry RANT OVER . Speedy WR'S NEEDED:deadhorse:

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really don't know what the answer is. But we absolutely need that bonefide #1 receiver who can be relied on anytime we need a big play. Tavon isn't a true receiver. But he is the best at what he does. I really thought Brian Quick would be that guy. He showed so much potential last year. And it showed when we were putting up points.

Athos

Legend
I don't particularly want a "go to guy" in the passing game either. There should be at least 3 or 4 different guys expecting to catch the ball on any given play and 5 to 8 any game. Let's spread it around and get the ball out a little quicker, not every play has to be slow developing play action. There should be a mix to keep the defense off balance.

Why the heck not? Having at least 1 go to guy you can trust and help shift coverages, and that in and of itself, will open up the other WRs more.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Remember those GSOT days when opponents faced a 4 headed monster on every single snap?

Warner
Faulk
Bruce
Holt

They had to pick their poison on every play.

Well, we'll probably never see such a combo again, but what we've got might not be too bad with the addition of one more player.

Foles
Gurley
Austin

What if an elite WR could be added from this next draft class? In combination with a healthy Quick or Britt, that seems like a potent group. And this is a reportedly bumper crop WR draft class coming up.

A TE upgrade over Cook is also a must. There are talented and productive TE's all around the league making big plays for other teams. Why can't we get one this next offseason?

If our young OL gels as expected, we could have a dynamite O roster by the addition of only 2 key players. A #1 WR and a stud TE.

Maybe not GSOT, but waaaaay more than necessary when combined with our D and ST.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why the heck not? Having at least 1 go to guy you can trust and help shift coverages, and that in and of itself, will open up the other WRs more.
Because having only one guys to go to when you need a conversion is easier to stop than having 4 or 5 guys that can get the ball in any given situation.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Remember those GSOT days when opponents faced a 4 headed monster on every single snap?

Warner
Faulk
Bruce
Holt

They had to pick their poison on every play.

Well, we'll probably never see such a combo again, but what we've got might not be too bad with the addition of one more player.

Foles
Gurley
Austin

What if an elite WR could be added from this next draft class? In combination with a healthy Quick or Britt, that seems like a potent group. And this is a reportedly bumper crop WR draft class coming up.

A TE upgrade over Cook is also a must. There are talented and productive TE's all around the league making big plays for other teams. Why can't we get one this next offseason?

If our young OL gels as expected, we could have a dynamite O roster by the addition of only 2 key players. A #1 WR and a stud TE.

Maybe not GSOT, but waaaaay more than necessary when combined with our D and ST.

You left out Az Hakim who was paid TOP DOLLAR to finally leave RAMS and "MR CLUTCH" Ricky Proehl who had "THE CATCH" in NFC CHAMP Game and scored in SB with Pats to Tie the game. Those two needed coverage also.:whistle: NEW RULE: Never Ever mention Brian Quick again till you have inside information on where he is and EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM? I don't see Britt returning unless we ARE Desperate next season. Just PLEASE. One WR had more yards this season in one game than our leading reciever this last 6 games. (SAY WHAT?:alien:)

Our "D" with this years Giant FA'cy will NEED some key additions. Oakman (Baylor) may not be a first pick DE like Bosa (OSU) probably will with 4-5 other top DE's and C. Long due MAJOR $$$ next season. We MUST re-sign JJ (y) maybe TJ TOO. I see many LB's as AO is missing and Ayers is LOST:sleep: except for falling on lose balls others caused. Excuse me thats Fairley and his 5 MILL.:rolllaugh:. Glad we have Pasat & Longacre to develop as new meat for DL. Hope they are not Poached. Lots of LB's we can grab like Reggie Ragland who calls Bama's "D" and could be JL's future replacement. Plus he is like number 4-6 rated and can do it all. The "D" is our shutdown group that MUST be kept TOP GRADE. IT WON the game VS browns as "O" had 3 yards in first two series against the browns and "D" gives the team 10 points to sit on and take time to get going.

We NEED SPEED at wr. with hands. Not another smurf either please. I see many FA wr's . Cincy has 3 coming due. I want a WR that knows the pro's and we know can run pro routes and they don't need to be 6'5" like Britt or Quick who may be in protective custody for all WE know.;) With Gurley you just need some clutch ball catching route runners who don't fumble. Snead can find us a couple of those after Saffold,Cook,Quick,Ayers,Fairley.C. Long and a few others are not on our payroll.:headexplosion:Lets play next season to Win it ALL , or die trying:cool:.

FrankenRam

Starter
Boy, I remember going back and forth with a member on another board who insisted losing was on the coaches.. I believe the phrase was "coaching matters".

I've always maintained that it's a combo, but mainly on the players. The coaches aren't on the field on game day.

I can teach a QB to throw a slant pass and have him practice it every day... but, when the game is on, if he can't execute on it, how is that on the coach?

Never made sense to me.

The WRs just aren't executing on a consistent basis. That's on the players, IMO.

I wouldn't argue that 'coaching matters'. It certainly does. But you absolutely nailed it in saying it doesn't how many times the coach 'teaches' it if the player doesn't absorb it and execute it on game day.

FrankenRam

Starter
Because having only one guys to go to when you need a conversion is easier to stop than having 4 or 5 guys that can get the ball in any given situation.

While I get your general point, I would also add that having one 'go to' guy doesn't mean you have to go to him every attempt. But if there is that one reliable guy that defenses have to game plan for, it should open things up more for others.

How many receivers on AZ Cardinals have looked better than they were because Larry Fitzgerald was always drawing extra coverage.