for 2014 - Why not Hill?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Teran

UDFA
This discussion is targeted toward remainder of 2014 season and how far St. Louis can go this season.

We used to just have decent special teams. We now have a top 5 Defense and Special Teams that are quite good.

I propose that the only thing holding St. Louis from transitioning from "able to beat everyone" to "should beat everyone" is the quarterback position.

Yes, we are a little weak on the right side of the line. Yes, we are missing a receiver. But really, the overall talent level of the offense is on par with the best of the league.

...except for Quarterback.

What about Hill will prevent St. Louis from winning out this season and possibly making the playoffs?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I think that this stretch should give us a lot of confidence if we go into 2015 with Bradford, Hill and a high draft-choice rookie.

Teran

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A quick follow-up...

If you bother to search my few postings, I have had fairly positive things to say about Hill. As a backup, I think he is everything you could want. For instance, he can throw where Clemons had problems outside of the short game. That said, I am not someone who fell in love with him long ago and always felt he should be a starter, the saviour of mankind, blah, blah ...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Winning out the season? Absolutely nothing.

Making the playoffs? His INT in the final moments vs. the Chargers.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think we can bring him back next year, and Bradford, and still draft a QB high. Then we will be set at the position for at least one season.

FRO

Legend
He makes going into next season without high draft pick more tolerable. He is great insurance for Bradford.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hill should remain the starter until/if the Rams are eliminated, then I think it would be wise to go back to Davis and see what he can do behind this much improved team. I don't think Hill is an answer for next year. Davis at this point is not either, but perhaps is worth one final look.

TexasRam

Legend
After games vs the 2 worst teams in football perhaps it's not the time to ask the Hill question.

After games vs Arizona and Seattle would be a great time.

Teran

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not saying Hill for 2015 starter. TOTALLY different discussion. 2014. How far can he take us? If not a win out, why not? Overload to a interception - good point.

jjab360

Legend
Even if we win out there's still only like a 1% chance of us making the playoffs. And I think even those chances die if SF beats the Raiders today.

If you're just asking about the rest of 2014, of course we're going to start Hill, who's saying we shouldn't?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This discussion is targeted toward remainder of 2014 season and how far St. Louis can go this season.

We used to just have decent special teams. We now have a top 5 Defense and Special Teams that are quite good.

I propose that the only thing holding St. Louis from transitioning from "able to beat everyone" to "should beat everyone" is the quarterback position.

Yes, we are a little weak on the right side of the line. Yes, we are missing a receiver. But really, the overall talent level of the offense is on par with the best of the league.

...except for Quarterback.

What about Hill will prevent St. Louis from winning out this season and possibly making the playoffs?

The interception he threw against San Diego. Even if we win out, we likely don't make it.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Because we don't have the 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense, and because we can (hopefully find ourselves in a position to) do better.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think Hill is the type of player that gives you the chance to win but he isn't going to be the winning factor. He will play solid as long as our defense doesn't make his job hard.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Hill's ok! We'll be ok! But we've got Sam Bradford under contract!! Just wait and see how good this team will be next year!

Irish

Starter
This team is too good and this opportunity to great to waste the most valuable position on an also-ran.

The dude on the Fox NFL Sunday pregame vignette about the Browns said it best:

"This town loves backup Quarterbacks. Remember Kelly Holcombe?"

Why not Hill for 2014? No reason, hes as good as any option we have.

Why not Hill for 2015+? Every conceivable reason.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
For the rest of this year, certainly stay with Hill. But I don't think he's even on the top 5 list of reasons for the Rams recent success, and he can make mistakes (such as his execution against SD on the last play as much as people want to pin that on Schottenheimer for not calling the predictable play.)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd be fine with Hill as a backup. He has a gun compared to some.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Hill's fine as a backup but nothing more. Although I agree that his arm is better than Davis' or Clemens' arms, that's more of an indictment against those guys than praise for Hill. Again today we see how limited Hill's arm is on the deep passes. At least two more plays where a good deep pass would have resulted in a TD and he can't deliver.

Which, in a way, gives hope for the offense overall and the likely return of Schottenheimer. Whether it's(hopefully) Bradford or someone else, a QB with a true starter's arm strength may just make this offense work.