Florio: Rams May Not Be A Destination Team and Spot Just Yet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mike Florio joined Bernie Miklasz to talk about the ever growing popularity of the NFL, the popularity of his website ProFootballTalk, why winning free agency isn’t all what it’s cracked up to be, and why the Rams may not be a destination team and spot just yet.

Listen to Florio Talk Rams/NFL

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Saw it last night and didn't bother posting it.

Or listen to it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't listen but I agree with the idea. Is it really appealing to move to L.A. right now when the team is going to be all over the place and getting used to their new digs in the Coliseum? It sounds like they will be working out of adhoc facilities until 2019. That is 3 years away. Some guys that are signing these 4-5 year deals could be cut by then, they often are. So, if it was my choice I would just pass and be comfortable. Being in your comfort zone is a very strong driving force in everyone's being. That is why people hate to deal with change..........unless your ADD/ADHD of course, then you have a new car every two years and move your furniture all around every 4 months.

jap

Legend
I didn't listen but I agree with the idea. Is it really appealing to move to L.A. right now when the team is going to be all over the place and getting used to their new digs in the Coliseum? It sounds like they will be working out of adhoc facilities until 2019. That is 3 years away. Some guys that are signing these 4-5 year deals could be cut by then, they often are. So, if it was my choice I would just pass and be comfortable. Being in your comfort zone is a very strong driving force in everyone's being. That is why people hate to deal with change..........unless your ADD/ADHD of course, then you have a new car every two years and move your furniture all around every 4 months.

. . . and we don't have our QB for the future (and maybe even present!) in place yet.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mike Florio joined Bernie Miklasz to talk about the ever growing popularity of the NFL, the popularity of his website ProFootballTalk, why winning free agency isn’t all what it’s cracked up to be, and why the Rams may not be a destination team and spot just yet.

Listen to Florio Talk Rams/NFL
In Poker Turms " This is a Pair I would fold if I had it!! Can't stand them alone yet together!! WON'T LISTEN TO IT !!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I didn't listen to it. But judging by the thread title I imagine Florio would be telling fat boy what he wants to hear. Trust me, any team that shows the money is a great destination to any football player.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didn't listen to it. But judging by the thread title I imagine Florio would be telling fat boy what he wants to hear. Trust me, any team that shows the money is a great destination to any football player.
The problem is the $$$ isn't the same in LA as it is most everywhere else. And it is being discussed by the current players. They are essentially all taking a pay cut with the move and there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

So thinking that it's such a "prime destination" might not be so accurate.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, but he was paired with Bernie on this one.

It would be like listening to cats copulate.
In the immortal words of Ford Fairlane... "I've heard cats fuck with more harmony"....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem is the $$$ isn't the same in LA as it is most everywhere else. And it is being discussed by the current players. They are essentially all taking a pay cut with the move and there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

hey coach, when are you gonna return to being the chirpy, happy go lucky, fun loving poster we all know and love? (y)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I'm not calling it a prime destination. Its just not a destination that players would avoid either. I think the idea that players don't want to come to CA because of the tax rate is a myth. The Raiders aren't having any trouble signing good players. And for the better known players there are more marketing opportunities. The Rams lost out on free agents because the other teams offered more than they were willing to spend. You want to complain about them not spending enough, then that would be a legitimate complaint.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not calling it a prime destination. Its just not a destination that players would avoid either. I think the idea that players don't want to come to CA because of the tax rate is a myth. The Raiders aren't having any trouble signing good players. And for the better known players there are more marketing opportunities. The Rams lost out on free agents because the other teams offered more than they were willing to spend. You want to complain about them not spending enough, then that would be a legitimate complaint.
I'm not saying they won't come to LA if the $$$ is right. But to say its not an issued is naive. The current players aren't happy about the pay cut they're being forced to take by virtue of the move. And I know that has been a topic of conversation amongst quite a few of them. They met last week for first time formally in LA and it was a major talking point.

It will cost the organization more to attract prospective FA. Including the inordinate number of their own. And don't think the move hasn't had an impact on them negotiating with their own. They've put themselves in a bad position because their COO was too busy and unavailable last year to deal with contracts when approached.

Now they're behind and are likely to lose players who just don't care about being in LA.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not saying they won't come to LA if the $$$ is right. But to say its not an issued is naive. The current players aren't happy about the pay cut they're being forced to take by virtue of the move. And I know that has been a topic of conversation amongst quite a few of them. They met last week for first time formally in LA and it was a major talking point.

It will cost the organization more to attract prospective FA. Including the inordinate number of their own. And don't think the move hasn't had an impact on them negotiating with their own. They've put themselves in a bad position because their COO was too busy and unavailable last year to deal with contracts when approached.

Now they're behind and are likely to lose players who just don't care about being in LA.

I'm pretty sure most players don't give two shits about that, because there's still a metric fuck ton of digits in that check. Their agents may care, but even then not very much. There are tons of professional sport teams in expensive tax state/cities and you don't see players avoiding those places, including Los Angeles. Look at NYC, do players want to avoid the Jets or the Giants? The Yankees? Rangers? Do players want to avoid Golden State because of the tax rate? There's zero evidence to suggest that players are avoiding teams that are in cities/states with higher tax rates.

In terms of sales tax, 3 of the 4 highest in the country are Chicago Illinois, Glendale Arizona, and Seattle Washington... I don't see players avoiding the Bears, Cardinals, or Seahawks. In terms of Income, New Jersey is the 2nd highest, NYC is the 3rd, the Giants have just about scooped up everyone this free agency period.

Tennessee is the second lowest.. I don't see players tripping over themselves to play for the Titans.

Free Agents weren't jumping at the chance to play for the St Louis Rams either.

Maybe, just maybe, tax rates has nothing to do with it, and what players care more about is playing for a winning team.. Maybe these guys aren't looking at tax rates when they see the contract of 45 million over 4 years, and instead are just looking at 45,000,000.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure most players don't give two shits about that, because there's still a metric freak ton of digits in that check. Their agents may care, but even then not very much. There are tons of professional sport teams in expensive tax state/cities and you don't see players avoiding those places, including Los Angeles. Look at NYC, do players want to avoid the Jets or the Giants? The Yankees? Rangers? Do players want to avoid Golden State because of the tax rate? There's zero evidence to suggest that players are avoiding teams that are in cities/states with higher tax rates.

In terms of sales tax, 3 of the 4 highest in the country are Chicago Illinois, Glendale Arizona, and Seattle Washington... I don't see players avoiding the Bears, Cardinals, or Seahawks. In terms of Income, New Jersey is the 2nd highest, NYC is the 3rd, the Giants have just about scooped up everyone this free agency period.

Tennessee is the second lowest.. I don't see players tripping over themselves to play for the Titans.

Free Agents weren't jumping at the chance to play for the St Louis Rams either.

Maybe, just maybe, tax rates has nothing to do with it, and what players care more about is playing for a winning team.. Maybe these guys aren't looking at tax rates when they see the contract of 45 million over 4 years, and instead are just looking at 45,000,000.
Tell that to the players who are going from playing under a contraxt that was signed in a tax friendly situation to now bringing home 49% of their pay.

You can choose to believe what you want to believe. But I am certain the topic was discussed amongst the players when they were gathered last week.

And did anyone else happen to notice that only 80% of the players were there? When Fisher is always so quick to brag about how they have 100% attendance at volunteer workouts in the past.

This isn't a unified happy camp as they would like you to think. All I'm saying.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I get what Coach is saying, It is about losing something that you have as opposed to not getting something you want when it comes to in house guys. Their dollar went farther in the Lou period simple math (They may have to run Hankook's instead of Pirelli's on their Ferrari's) . As far as FA's more cost of living and more potential earnings on a exponential scale so ball up prove yourself, market yourself and cash in.