Fixing run defense is top priority for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Farr said something about this on the radio broadcast. The Rams were attacking vertically and Washington was attacking horizontally. Williams did not correct things until the 2nd half.

I did this quickly scanning play-by-plays so if I missed anything...well, I tried not to miss anything:

First half Washington runs for 148 yards. These yards are mostly the result of 3 BIG runs. 25 yards off right tackle. 35 yards off left tackle. 39 yards off left tackle. So take away those runs and they rush for about 49 yards. Attacking the edge paid off for them with big plays. The Rams were attacking vertically and left them exposed on the edges.

11 of 16 rush plays were to the ends.

The Rams adjusted in the 2nd half.

Washington continued to attack the edge heavily and this was the result:

-2(left end)
3(left tackle)
4(left end)
-2(left tackle)
5 (left tackle)
11(left tackle)
4(left end)
2(right end)
9(left end)
2(left end)
-2(right tackle)

37 yards attacking the edges. But that's where Washington felt the home runs were---particularly the left edge.

So the Rams certainly cleaned things up in the 2nd half against the run but the offense was too inept to take advantage of their opportunities.

The defense is not as bad as it looked. But I do think Williams has to be quicker to adjust to things.

Again, this was a quick scan of NFL.Com. If anyone wants exact numbers you'll have to check them but the idea behind what they did won't change.

Nice post!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you were running this D - would you blitz more? Blitz less? Run blitz? Press Man? Play more zone?

For my money - I feel like this D should seldom blitz at all - we have the ability to get to the QB with 4. Most teams can't do that - but we can. Have a small package of blitzes ready to go each week and give them 5 or so a game just to keep everyone guessing but for the most part, lets let the D Line do their thing.

I feel like our aggressive nature on D is turned on us all too often.

Press man.

For the life of me I do not understand why we give up the short pass. It's there, every time, and the completion rate backs it up.

Not to mention it was Washington's MO and we played right into it.