Fixing run defense is top priority for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fixing run defense is top priority for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_97c5b573-4086-55d3-9751-b032fd43a7fe.html

Almost since the end of last season, Rams defenders have been harping on the necessity of getting off to a quicker start in 2015, particularly against the run. That must have made the team’s 24-10 loss Sunday to Washington all the more frustrating.

The Rams yielded 182 yards rushing at FedEx Field, their worst outing since allowing 186 yards to Minnesota in the ’14 season opener and the seventh-worst showing in Jeff Fisher’s 50 games as Rams coach.

A team that prides itself on playing tough, physical football got out-muscled on too many plays. And at any level of football, if you can’t stop the run you’re probably not going to win.

“Just too many explosive plays,” Fisher said Monday. “We’ve got to fix our defense against the run.”

More than half of Washington’s rushing total — 99 yards — came on just three plays: a 35-yard run by Alfred Morris, a 39-yard touchdown run by Matt Jones and a 25-yard run by Jones.

“It’s a combination of things,” Fisher said. “It was a combination of gap integrity by the players. It was a combination of the (coaching) staff putting them in some bad positions.

“So overall, we’re all going to take responsibility for that — the defensive staff, the defensive players — and we’ve got to get that fixed. One hundred fifty-three yards a game rushing right now is not what we’re about.”

But that’s where the Rams are two games into the season. They rank 30th in the league in run defense, yielding 153 yards per contest. Only Green Bay (154 yards) and Cleveland (160) are worse.

The Rams were pretty stout against the run in the opener against Seattle, one of the NFL’s top-rushing teams in recent years.

The Seahawks had 124 yards rushing, but needed 32 carries to get there and averaged a modest 3.9 yards per carry. They had only one rushing play gain more than 10 yards.

Washington was a different story. There was nothing fancy about any of those three big plays. Here’s what happened:

Morris’ 35-yard run off left tackle: Defensive tackle Aaron Donald got caught too far upfield — while he was in the backfield, Morris already was pressing the line of scrimmage. Defensive tackle Michael Brockers over-pursued a little too far to the right, leaving a gap open.

Normally there would be a linebacker as a safety net in the gap, but on this play Washington right guard Brandon Scherff smothered middle linebacker James Laurinaitis. And when Morris cut back to the backside, nobody was there because outside linebacker Alec Ogletree was knocked to the ground by a cut block.

As a topper, free safety Rodney McLeod missed a tackle at the Washington 40, which helped turn what would’ve been about 12-yard gain by Morris into a 35-yard advance.

Jones’ 39-yard TD run around left end: Once again, Donald got caught upfield. Defensive end Chris Long got pinned inside, leaving the perimeter open. A few yards downfield, Washington center Kory Lichtensteiger blocked Laurinaitis and tight end Jordan Reed took out Ogletree.

McLeod took a bad angle to the ball and got caught between Ogletree and Laurinaitis (and the Washington players blocking them). Jones broke outside at this point and reached the end zone for Washington’s first score.

Jones’ 25-yard run around right end: Defensive end William Hayes got pinned inside by a Washington blocker, leaving the perimeter open. Safety Mark Barron, lining up as an outside linebacker in one of the packages designed for him by coordinator Gregg Williams, got pushed downfield by Reed.

Scherff took out Laurinaitis, and with the corners in “off” coverage about 10 yards down field, Jones had plenty of room to roam once he broke the line off scrimmage. The play set up Washington’s second TD drive.

As Fisher said, part of the problem simply is getting off blocks.

“They did a really nice job,” Fisher said, praising the blocking schemes of Washington offensive line coach Bill Callahan. “They took advantage of some angles, with a combination of a man (blocking) and a zone scheme cutting the backside off. ... We had a couple of times where they blocked the running backs into the secondary. We can’t let that happen.”

On each of those big plays, Rams defensive linemen weren’t holding up Washington blockers at the line of scrimmage — much less defeating them. As a result, that allowed those blockers to get at the linebackers on the second level.

And usually, when a 320-pound guard gets a clean shot on a 240-pound linebacker, the guard is going to win.

Schematically, it wasn’t as if Washington showed the Rams much that was different from what was already on tape.

“They might have tweaked some things we weren’t ready for,” Brockers said. “But for the most part we just got outplayed. That’s as simple as it gets.”

Or as defensive end Robert Quinn put it: “They were able to just kind of pound away. Credit to them.”

That makes the manner of Sunday’s loss all the more disappointing because that’s the style of play Fisher’s teams have been known for, dating to his time with the Tennessee Titans.

“That’s what we’re about,” Fisher said. “On defense, you stop the run and you’re off the field on third down. And we’re not doing either one of them right now.”

With the Pittsburgh Steelers coming to town, there’s no time like the present to get things right. Veteran speedster DeAngelo Williams leads the AFC and is second in the NFL with 204 yards rushing.

And big back Le’Veon Bell, who set a franchise record last year with 2,215 yards from scrimmage, will make his season debut after serving a two-game league suspension.

“We’ve gotta figure it out because we’ve got another great team in Pittsburgh next week,” Quinn said. “So we better get ourselves together.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the Post just recycles this article every season because in the beginning of the year that is always the shortcoming of the Rams defense.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The teams that run the ball outside the tackles always make the Rams run defense look rough.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like James Lauranitus (spell?), but I don't think teams would have had that many rushing yards if London Fletcher was our middle linebacker.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Reed the TE blocked Tree and JL on different plays that helped spring the rb for a big play! Reed=Cook in blocking skills! Both those players should be embarrassed and to top it off McLeod with his bad angles and missed tackles. God this is getting old fast.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Either fix it, or get that offense going so your defense can dictate the way the game is played instead of the other way around.

…..

Legend
Either fix it, or get that offense going so your defense can dictate the way the game is played instead of the other way around.

A combination of the two would be pretty awesome. Being in the lead would steer the game into our defensive comfort zone no doubt.

In retrospect, I'm alittle surprised we sputtered so much on offense after a pretty decent showing in the first game. (oh yeah....that first game? Its now just the "first game", it is no longer the "win against Seattle")

But on topic, we also need all our guys in there. Trumaine missing the start due to breaking team rules doesnt help. Couple that with the unexcpected "let down" and you have a discipline/maturity issue your also dealing with.

Geez theres alotta damn nuances to being a good football team I guess.

gittyershittogetherRams ;-)

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
“It’s a combination of things,” Fisher said. “It was a combination of gap integrity by the players. It was a combination of the (coaching) staff putting them in some bad positions.

Farr said something about this on the radio broadcast. The Rams were attacking vertically and Washington was attacking horizontally. Williams did not correct things until the 2nd half.

I did this quickly scanning play-by-plays so if I missed anything...well, I tried not to miss anything:

First half Washington runs for 148 yards. These yards are mostly the result of 3 BIG runs. 25 yards off right tackle. 35 yards off left tackle. 39 yards off left tackle. So take away those runs and they rush for about 49 yards. Attacking the edge paid off for them with big plays. The Rams were attacking vertically and left them exposed on the edges.

11 of 16 rush plays were to the ends.

The Rams adjusted in the 2nd half.

Washington continued to attack the edge heavily and this was the result:

-2(left end)
3(left tackle)
4(left end)
-2(left tackle)
5 (left tackle)
11(left tackle)
4(left end)
2(right end)
9(left end)
2(left end)
-2(right tackle)

37 yards attacking the edges. But that's where Washington felt the home runs were---particularly the left edge.

So the Rams certainly cleaned things up in the 2nd half against the run but the offense was too inept to take advantage of their opportunities.

The defense is not as bad as it looked. But I do think Williams has to be quicker to adjust to things.

Again, this was a quick scan of NFL.Com. If anyone wants exact numbers you'll have to check them but the idea behind what they did won't change.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

#1 on the vertical attack was mcleod. he acted as if the rb could only run straight ahead. all those big runs could have been waaaaay less if he simply tried to contain instead of charging in at 100mph. i hate the vertical charging in when the rb has entered the secondary. hate it. mcleod looked embarrassing out there.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler

#1 on the vertical attack was mcleod. he acted as if the rb could only run straight ahead. all those big runs could have been waaaaay less if he simply tried to contain instead of charging in at 100mph. i hate the vertical charging in when the rb has entered the secondary. hate it. mcleod looked embarrassing out there.

Good point about Mcleod. He's almost running up past the runner who's heading in the other direction, before trying to get an angle. Terrible job really.

Athos

Legend
The defense is not as bad as it looked. But I do think Williams has to be quicker to adjust to things.

Agreed! Sometimes, heck, in a lot of cases, one really bad half is all a team needs to win or lose. Adapting at half is sometimes too late. You just HAVE to adjust faster in game. Especially when you see your offense being run incompetently.

I think they went WAY pass happy. No, the running wasn't terrible effective, but keep fucking trying! Change it up! Run the screen game. Get the ball out quick like teams do against us!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I still am of the opinion, GW defensive schemes are too complex, and players have to think about getting lined up, gap responsibilities, coverage responsibilities, etc. I thought this was the case last year as to why we struggled early in the season. I don't care if this is the second full year with the same defense and players. If he's making it too hard for them to figure out, and given how fast the game is, any hesitation by a player because he has to worry about getting lined up, we've already given up a big play. He needs to simplify the schemes so they can line-up and play. I think at times GW out-thinks himself trying to have the perfect play, and the defense ends up getting burned. Solid fundamental defense is all we need given the athletes we have. Once we can do that, then GW can expand the playbook and get a bit more aggressive with the schemes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In retrospect, I'm alittle surprised we sputtered so much on offense after a pretty decent showing in the first game.
Naw, we're really young at a bunch of players, a couple of game-changers (Quick/Gurley) are down, and this is Foles first year. All contribute to an up & down type rhythm to continuity....

Normally there would be a linebacker as a safety net in the gap, but on this play Washington right guard Brandon Scherff smothered middle linebacker James Laurinaitis. And when Morris cut back to the backside, nobody was there because outside linebacker Alec Ogletree was knocked to the ground by a cut block.

As a topper, free safety Rodney McLeod missed a tackle at the Washington 40, which helped turn what would’ve been about 12-yard gain by Morris into a 35-yard advance.

Jones’ 39-yard TD run around left end: Once again, Donald got caught upfield. Defensive end Chris Long got pinned inside, leaving the perimeter open. A few yards downfield, Washington center Kory Lichtensteiger blocked Laurinaitis and tight end Jordan Reed took out Ogletree.

McLeod took a bad angle to the ball and got caught between Ogletree and Laurinaitis (and the Washington players blocking them). Jones broke outside at this point and reached the end zone for Washington’s first score.

Jones’ 25-yard run around right end: Defensive end William Hayes got pinned inside by a Washington blocker, leaving the perimeter open. Safety Mark Barron, lining up as an outside linebacker in one of the packages designed for him by coordinator Gregg Williams, got pushed downfield by Reed.

Scherff took out Laurinaitis, and with the corners in “off” coverage about 10 yards down field, Jones had plenty of room to roam once he broke the line off scrimmage. The play set up Washington’s second TD drive.

As Fisher said, part of the problem simply is getting off blocks.
Well, well....And some points about this...I have said since the start of camp, when guys play a certain way for a while, this is WHO THEY ARE....Pass coverage is great, but the game is made on people who can block, and TACKLE...you put the best ones out there that can do this, and whoever they replace, you make sure they are able to verbalize what their job is to the other 10 guys....Until these 2 huge weaknesses are REPLACED, we will continue to have brake downs. You can't cover for 2 weak links in the HEART of a defense, that can't tackle...Aaron Donald's, Quinns, TJ Mac's and others can only cover this issue for so long.
Ogletree is another matter....Extremely talented guy. Makes a ton of mistakes but is all over the damn field....Everyone should see, he's the MLB we need out there....let him learn on the job....put Ayers out there with him...And move JL55 to the SLB or the bench...maybe Hagar or Bates is ready to play....
McLeod is gonna throw away the season with key missed tackles...I don't care how he's improved...If he can't stay deep & make an open field tackle, he's killing the team....When he misses a tackle, more than likely it's a huge play. Chunk yardage...Explosive play....Game changer...PFF can't explain what my eyes SEE....Dude misses tackles on big RB's...Fast RB's....Strong RB's....basically the entire NFL....No way he's better than Barron...In fact, I doubt he's better than Mo Alexander or Cody Davis....

If anyone is thinking this Steelers team is NOT one of the best offenses we'll face, then you're not being realistic

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Weaknesses on this team are starting to be obvious.

TE is a big one. They need a pass catcher that can block. They need an all pro version of Kendricks.

Free Safety which seems to be very difficult to fill these days. They need a guy who is more of a natural instead of a guy who is the product of coaching but lacks fundamentals and instincts..........I'll take another Earl Thomas please.

MLB. JL is smart and runs the D but he is not the only guy that will ever be able to do that. A stronger more powerful version of JL would be great. I really liked CJ Mosely but you can't have everything in one draft now can you?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
"Shoot, we'll fix that". The offense is going to take a while me thinks. Those kids up front are going to taek their lumps until they gain experience against a lot of these NFL schemes. GRob is really beginning to worry though. I was hoping our D could batten down the hatches until the O caught up this season. I guess it is still possible, but sheesh do they have their work cut out for them this weekend. I was watching the Steeler game this Sunday (Gamemix with Rams) and they pretty much did whatever they wanted against the Whiners.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If you were running this D - would you blitz more? Blitz less? Run blitz? Press Man? Play more zone?

For my money - I feel like this D should seldom blitz at all - we have the ability to get to the QB with 4. Most teams can't do that - but we can. Have a small package of blitzes ready to go each week and give them 5 or so a game just to keep everyone guessing but for the most part, lets let the D Line do their thing.

I feel like our aggressive nature on D is turned on us all too often.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Funny how nobody has talked about Quinn. Skins came out and ran right at him. It was very noticeable, even pointed that out in my beer-induced haze to another Rams fan I was watching the game with. It worked too.

And another thing... 3.9 ypc is not a good thing IF you pride yourself on being a top defense. Which Fish apparently thinks they are. And which most of us expected prior to the season. So really it's two consecutive games to start the season with higher yards on the ground than desired. 4.4 ypc that they have after two games puts them at 25th in the league. 3.9 would put them in a tie for 15th in the league.

"What they're about" my @$$. More like what Fisher wishes they were about. How about you put on pads and work some fundamentals coach?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From Washington's first touchdown, Rams were in trouble
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...hingtons-first-touchdown-rams-were-in-trouble

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look back at the turning-point play in the St. Louis Rams' 24-10 loss against the Washington Redskins on Sunday afternoon:

The situation: It's unusual for the turning point of a game to come as soon as it did Sunday, but it's hard to argue with Washington running back Matt Jones' 39-yard touchdown run that set the tone for a long day at the office for the Rams. Besides, pinpointing one play from the game as a turning point was a more difficult exercise this time given how the game unfolded.

With 7 minutes, 14 seconds remaining in the first quarter, the Redskins had the ball at the Rams' 39-yard line on second-and-12 in a game that was scoreless. Two plays earlier, Redskins running back Alfred Morris rumbled 35 yards off the left side to the Rams' 39. It was an ominous sign that the run defense the Rams played so well last week against Seattle might not be back for an encore.

The play: After the success with Morris to the left side in a three-tight end look, the Redskins -- as they did much of the day -- had multiple tight ends on the field for this one. This time, it was two attached to the left side. Washington balanced with no receivers on that side and two split to the right. The Rams had their "big nickel" formation on the field with safety Mark Barron instead of linebacker Akeem Ayers to go with their starting front four, starting cornerbacks and starting safeties.

Before the snap, the Rams had Barron and safety T.J. McDonald creep into the box with McDonald within a couple of yards of the line of scrimmage on the left side and the two linebackers (Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis) in the middle. Jones took a handoff from quarterback Kirk Cousins, cut to the left and bounced outside to race 39 yards for the score.

There were three things that made this work for the Redskins.

1. The Rams getting burned by down and distance assumptions: Players and coaches always talk about earning the right to rush the passer. That usually happens by getting the opponent into second- and third-and-long situations. On the previous play, Ogletree sniffed out a short pass to Jones and dropped him for a 2-yard loss. Traditionally, second-and-12 is a passing down and the Rams clearly thought they had an opportunity here despite the heavy formation on the left side. At the snap, defensive tackle Aaron Donald did what he does best, knifing into the backfield almost immediately. But you can see Donald take a step toward the quarterback rather than Jones, perhaps expecting a play-action pass. By the time Donald saw what was happening, he was just a split second too late to bring Jones down in the backfield. This isn't to put blame on Donald, it's a reasonable assumption that a team would look to pass there but more to give credit to Washington for designing and executing a good play call in a situation in which that play wouldn't be expected.

2. Excellent blocking: Sometimes, one team just does a better job than the other and there was certainly some of that here. Namely, Washington left guard Shawn Lauvao, tight end Jordan Reed and center Kory Lichtensteiger, each of whom played a key role in opening the hole. Lauvao, whom we noted in our look at Washington's running game as the Redskins' best run-blocker in Week 1, was particularly effective pulling outside and nailing McDonald with a perfectly executed kickout block. Reed quickly got to Ogletree at the second level and sealed him inside to create the running lane and Lichtensteiger also got out in space to prevent Laurinaitis from getting outside. None of the three Rams defenders were able to disengage in time to stop Jones from hitting the hole and bouncing outside to the sideline.

3. Rodney McLeod's miscue: This is where this play went from solid gain to long touchdown run. As the last line of defense, McLeod's responsibility here was to ensure Jones didn't make this into a big gainer. But McLeod came tearing out of his spot in the secondary at the worst possible angle and essentially removed himself from the play by getting caught up in the wreckage of the blocks on Laurinaitis and Ogletree. As McLeod tried to get outside to Jones, he ran into Ogletree and Jones raced past him. At that point, it was all over but the celebrating.

The fallout: In the span of three plays, the Redskins managed 74 rushing yards and a touchdown. The Rams adjusted a bit in the second half and were better against the run in the final 30 minutes but they never recovered from the early 7-0 hole and never really put Washington in position where they had to throw the ball. Jones' run wasn't the only success Washington had on the ground Sunday. But it was the best example of how a team effectively running the ball can neutralize what the Rams want to be defensively.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I haven't read other posts yet, but this is where my head is at.

We want a strong defensive unit? Then the offense needs to deliver now.

For 3+ seasons we've seen a poor offense totally work against the goals of being strong defensively.

We need to score points. Do that; the defense is golden.