Five trades we'd like to see happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000568020/article/five-trades-wed-like-to-see-happen

The NFL trade deadline is less than a week away. Could we see any major names dealt? The Around The NFL crew is here to give you five trades we'd like to see happen.

Bears trade Matt Forte to Giants

The Bears neglected to grant Forte's wishes for an extension last offseason, which means he's playing out his contract year. Turning 30 years old in December, he's an unlikely candidate for a top-dollar contract next offseason with the organization's new regime in rebuilding mode. It makes sense for the Bears to trade him to the Giants for a third-round pick.

A step slower this season, Rashad Jennings has combined with Andre Williams to average an ineffective 3.35 yards per rush as the Giants' 1-2 punch. Jennings was even benched for the inimitable Orleans Darkwa for long stretches of last week's game. The Cowboys' four-game losing streak has left the NFC East wide open, but the Giants need a playmaking back like Forte to help extend their division lead before Tony Romo returns in Week 11. If this is Tom Coughlin's swan song, the Giants should make every effort to send him out on top.

-- Chris Wesseling

Calvin Johnson to Panthers

Megatron deserves a chance to live his golden football years on a young, defense-first football team that has a dynamic mobile quarterback with a cannon for an arm (which, Matt Stafford mostly does, but the team is 1-6). Let's all sign the Free Megatron petition and ensure that we all get one more year of fantasy riches and diving catches.

-- Conor Orr

Joe Haden and Alex Mack to Jaguars

In exchange for Jacksonville's first-round pick. Cleveland can't afford to let talent walk out the door, but it's time to make a stand for the top overall selection. Mack is likely to leave the Browns after this season anyway and showed enough interest in Jacksonville to sign an offer sheet with the Jaguars two seasons ago. Haden is a genuine talent at cornerback, but the Browns don't have much else to offer. With two first-rounders, the Browns can throw in additional picks to get into the No. 1 spot and take Cal's Jared Goff. The Jags get better on both sides of the ball while the Browns nab their franchise arm: Everybody wins.

-- Marc Sessler

Vernon Davis to Broncos

Hard truth time: The Broncos are 6-0, but they have virtually no chance of advancing to the Super Bowl in their current state. The problems on offense -- specifically related to the decline of Peyton Manning -- has Denver speeding toward a 17-6 loss in the divisional playoffs. We don't believe benching Manning is the answer, so how about adding another weapon to the mix? Enter Vernon Davis, a one-time star in San Francisco who's still moving well and could use a change of scenery. Manning loves throwing to his tight ends, and Julius Thomas has been missed. A healthy and motivated Davis could fill the void and perhaps shake Denver's O out of its coma before it's too late.

-- Dan Hanzus

Doug Martin to Panthers

Finally healthy, Martin flashes playmaking in both the run and pass attack weekly and has been a broken-ankle maven this season behind a mediocre offensive line. The Dougernaut's brand of power and elusiveness fits right into the Panthers' offense. Yes, Jonathan Stewart has busted out in recent weeks, but hasn't played 16 games since 2011, so we could assume he'll get dinged-up at some point. With respect to Bowling Ball Tolbert, Fozzy Whittaker and Cameron Artis-Payne, Cam Newton needs a workhorse back to make the offense go. The Panthers' yogurt-peddling quarterback has played at an MVP-level, but snagging Martin for the rest of the season -- on the cheap -- will ensure the Panthers have a solid backup plan if Stewart goes down, provide the 1-2 punch they've missed this year and keep J-Stew fresh for the playoffs.

After the Bucs declined Martin's fifth-year option this offseason, the back will hit the open market in 2016 -- his fantastic play now making that decision look dunderheaded. After Sunday's epic collapse, it's clear the Bucs are going nowhere in 2015. General manager Jason Licht needs to play both sides of the Martin card: flip two months of the tailback to a playoff contender for a mid-round pick, then try and re-sign him after the season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not sure why this guy wants the Panthers to get players but how about Calvin Johnson to the Rams? It would help draw attention away from the run game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
8 Trades that would make sense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...to-broncos-among-trades-that-would-make-sense

NFL teams are not typically in the business of making big in-season trades.

Complementary pieces are, of course, swapped with some regularity, and this offseason included a handful of eye-catching deals, but the annual trade deadline usually does not produce the kind of frenzy one might see in MLB or the NBA.

Still, with this year's Nov. 3 deadline rapidly approaching, I thought I'd come up with a list of trades I'd like to see. Before we dive into the list, I should note that, with the market being as tough as it is, getting fair value for a player will be difficult, with price in terms of draft picks generally being a round lower than what it should be based on talent. I should also emphasize that these are not predictions, merely hypothetical trades that would make sense if they came to pass. In other words, some teams are included in multiple deals below, but that doesn't necessarily mean I expect any one team to actually pull off every move I suggest. Below is the list, arranged in alphabetical order by player name:

Vernon Davis, TE, to the Broncos

Denver seems to be missing tight end Julius Thomas, who departed via free agency last offseason. Through the team's first six games last season, Thomas had nine touchdown catches, two more than the entire pass-catching corps has thus far in 2015. As good as their defense is, the Broncos have a quarterback who's been struggling and is nearing the end of the trail. They have to do everything possible to win it all this year, and the more weapons they can give Peyton Manning, the better. Davis is stuck on a bad Niners team that needs to retool. The 31-year-old hasn't done much this season, but it looks like he has enough in the tank to contribute on a Super Bowl competitor. I'd expect Davis to get a big psychological boost in moving from a cellar-dweller to a Super Bowl contender. I could see him traded for a sixth-round pick.

Matt Forte, RB, to the Broncos
Forte, who is set to hit free agency this offseason, is a good runner and a good receiver -- he's everything you want on a short-term basis. I think it'd be easy enough for the veteran back to adjust to a new scheme in-season; in fact, I think he'd be a pretty good fit for Gary Kubiak's system. I would think he could learn the system and his responsibilities quickly, especially with the jolt of extra motivation that comes from joining an elite team. Forte will turn 30 in December and is in his eighth pro season, but he looks every bit as good today as he did coming out of Tulane, with 507 rushing yards (sixth-most in the NFL) and 698 yards from scrimmage (fourth-most). Denver's 30th-ranked ground game could really use a back of Forte's caliber. If I were the Bears, I'd hope to get a third-round pick for him, but in this trade market, I could see him moving for a fourth. Of course, the Broncos traded away their fourth-round pick last April, so that could get tricky. Adding Forte would take priority over adding a tight end like Davis.

Tamba Hali, OLB, to the Falcons

The 2-5 Chiefs should think about selling off some veterans. The 31-year-old Hali is set to be a free agent, and Kansas City has a former first-round draft pick in Dee Ford presumably waiting in the wings to replace Hali. Hali might be in his 10th season, but he's coming off a five-tackle, two-sack performance in which he also forced a fumble, and he could definitely help the Falcons. Atlanta ranks second against the run but 25th against the pass, with a league-low eight sacks -- if Hali can boost the Falcons' pass rush, their defense could suddenly become a factor. He's probably worth a fifth-rounder, but I'd be happy with a sixth if I were the Chiefs.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, to the Giants

NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport has reported that Jeffery is thought to be among the players Chicago is highly unlikely to trade. But the fact is, he's in the final year of his contract, and his agent, Eugene Parker, is a tough negotiator. While the team could turn to the franchise tag to keep Jeffery on, it might behoove the Bears to see what they could get for him in a deal. He's not a speedy big-play guy, but he's a dependable pass-catcher who can move the chains. The Giants could use him to add depth, especially as they're still waiting on Victor Cruz to get healthy. Of course, the signability factor limits Jeffery's trade value to the point that Chicago might not get more than a fifth- or sixth-round pick back.

Calvin Johnson, WR, to the Panthers

The thing that might make 1-6 Detroit want to move Johnson -- his high salary -- is also the thing that makes trading him very difficult. However, this is about trades I'd like to see, and Johnson to the Panthers makes sense. 6-0 Carolina has obviously been pretty good, but the team needs a wide receiver, and I'm not sure how far the Panthers can get without adding help. And while the 30-year-old Johnson might be picking up fewer yards per catch this season (13.3) than at any other point in his career, he would definitely qualify as help. Of course, Johnson's true value -- the face of the Lions' franchise would be worth a second-round pick at least -- is much higher than what the team could likely get for him on the market: something like a fifth-rounder, given the level of money involved. Perhaps the Panthers, who would also have to do some tinkering to make the numbers work, would do well to look toward Jeffery instead.

Derrick Johnson, ILB, to the Packers

The Packers tend to prefer to build from within, but their run defense has been a weak spot this season, and Johnson could be exactly what they need to ensure a Super Bowl push. Johnson is 32 and coming off an Achilles injury, but he's playing well this year, having contributed 38 tackles, four passes defensed, a pick and a sack. He's simply a darn good football player, someone who can stop the run but also make plays in space. Rookie Ramik Wilson has made two starts and is waiting in the wings for Kansas City, and the Chiefs could ship Johnson to Green Bay for a sixth-round pick.

Ronald Leary, OG, to the Steelers

The Steelers have a hole at left tackle, with Kelvin Beachum done for the year, and acquiring Leary would allow them to move someone like guard David DeCastro into that spot. Leary lost his starting job in Dallas to talented rookie La'el Collins, and he is injury-prone, but he'd still represent an upgrade for Pittsburgh, which could stand to add protection for Ben Roethlisberger. I could actually see Leary fetching a relatively high price, perhaps a fourth-rounder.

Sean Smith, CB, to the Patriots

Three years ago, Bill Belichick successfully landed some needed cornerback help when he plucked Aqib Talib from the Bucs. This season, Smith could be Belichick's Talib. The seventh-year pro fits the Patriots' mold as a tall (6-foot-3) corner with long arms, and he could really help their secondary. I could see him moving for a sixth-rounder.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter @Gil_Brandt.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again no mention of the Rams. The Rams really need a receiving threat. Megatron or the above mentioned Alshon Jeffrey would help. I don't think either is a long term solution though. Maybe that would prevent Snead from wanting to make a trade or give much up. He loves his draft picks.

"He's not a speedy big-play guy, but he's a dependable pass-catcher who can move the chains."

Sounds like just what the Doctor ordered.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd absolutely give up a fourth round pick any day and every day for Jeffery. Why not us?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd take CJ in a heartbeat. Just him standing on the field opens the entire rest of the offense up. You can't leave him without a safety over the top, and you can't go without 8 or 9 in the box for long if you want to contain Gurley. Austin would run around as the forgotten Ram. Also most importantly..

1. He's game intelligent. Knows how to read defense and come back to the ball, etc.
2. He's dependable. If you throw it to him he will catch it.

That right there is an instant upgrade to what we've had going on.

I know someone is going to mention Quick as a reason someone like CJ or AJ isn't needed. All I can say is...

Quick.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here's a trade to consider send Cook to the Bears for Kyle Long!! Just sayin' ! :shades:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure why this guy wants the Panthers to get players but how about Calvin Johnson to the Rams? It would help draw attention away from the run game.
Unfortunately, the Rams have about 6 key players to resign this offseason. I dunno how our cap looks but trading for Calvin would probably chew that up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would da Bears even entertain that deal? A promising OL player for an underachieving TE?

In support of family values - they want to reunite the brothers.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why would da Bears even entertain that deal? A promising OL player for an underachieving TE?
I Know! The comment was for :giggle:'s!!:LOL::D But it would make-my-day IF it happened!!

jap

Legend
I Know! The comment was for :giggle:'s!!:LOL::D But it would make-my-day IF it happened!!

Kyle was one player I hoped the Horns would snag---something about those Long genes. However, we really lost any hope of getting him when we moved up to grab Tavon in the 2013 draft. We were already committed to get 'Tree later on that first round so we had to give up a 2nd round pick that could have resulted in Kyle joining his "big" brother here.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Kyle was one player I hoped the Horns would snag---something about those Long genes. However, we really lost any hope of getting him when we moved up to grab Tavon in the 2013 draft. We were already committed to get 'Tree later on that first round so we had to give up a 2nd round pick that could have resulted in Kyle joining his "big" brother here.
I remember it being reported the Chris Long's Mother had even Lobbied for the Rams to pick Kyle!! Too bad we couldn't swing getting all three Players!!:D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It would have to be with a different contract. Megatron's salad days are behind him and he's making HUGE money........