Fisher wants Bradford back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Oddly, I think Sam will thinks that's fair. He benefitted from being the last of the old CBA rookies, and got tons more than Cam and Luck and Bortles . . .so, he can afford to take a reduced amount since he understands the injuries prevented him from playing. Sam's agent may take a different stance, but Sam, a smart, humble guy may repay the Rams with loyalty and take a low salary with incentives.

That's just my guess . . .but Sam must have 20-30 million in the bank by now and he can play a couple years for less, and if he delives get incentives and bigger salary in 2017-2018

That's just my guess . . .but Sam must have 20-30 million in the bank by now and he can play a couple years for less, and if he delives get incentives and bigger salary in 2017-2018

If you ever have to work again with 20-30 million in the bank then you're doing something wrong.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Agreed . . . but there is pressure from agents to make more money, if you take a loball offer the other agents will say you are screwing their client's ability to negotiate, so there is that

Also, I read the tweet that article by PFT was based on an Fisher never mentioned money. That "for the right price" was added by author . . .not to say it is true, but I've seen nothing by Demoff or Snead or Fish that says they are trying to lower his current contract

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Bradford's been there every day watching this team come together. I imagine it's killing him not being a part of it and that he'll really want to be at the helm next year. But remember his agent. I can't imagine Condon allowing Bradford to take a pay cut. So until I read "Bradford fires agent", I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer · 2h2 hours ago
Will have more in my NFL Notes, but Jeff Fisher told me he wants Bradford back. Said Bradford/Kroenke were the 2 reasons he took the job.

Bradford's been around the team and on each road trip. The Rams will likely add a QB in the draft. But Bradford could still be '15 starter.

Bradford is the only Rams QB under contract for 2015. His numbers ($16.6M cap/$13.0M cash) will need working. But the brass wants him back.

A bright young Rams team gets on national TV tonight. Their long-tern QB question is lingering. But I'm told Sam Bradford is still in plans.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
This is not directed towards you @FRO but this is kind of old news, that the national media is just getting their hands on. Fish and Snead have been alluding to Sam's return in 2015 for weeks and its just now making national news because of TNF

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand why so many insist they have to redo his deal. It appears that people are under the impression that Bradford somehow owes the organization a "rebate" and "should" volunteer to take less $$$ than is contractually owed to him.

My question, how many of those who seem so strong about this position, would be willing to take a "heavy pay cut" and rework the final year on the contract, without some sort of protection (extension) if they were in Bradford's position?

It's easy to say he "has made enough" and "can afford to take a reduced amount".... But why would he? Players just don't give back money without getting some guarantees that they will make it back in more years, etc. And if the Rams play hardball with him, what contingencies would they have in place that wont' cost them a similar $$$ amount? (trade for a comparable starter?)

Let's follow that line of thought for the purpose of discussion.....

What do those who want him to "rework" his deal, think would be a fair $$$ amount?

Also, lets just say he agrees to play for $6-7M with incentives. When you factor in the prorated cap hit, his "number" would still be in the $11 - 12M range. How much are you saving? At $13M, he isn't even in the upper echelon of contracts for a starting QB.

The only way to make this doable from Bradford's perspective, would be to extend him beyond the 2016 season. Given his recent injury issues, would the Rams be willing to do that?

I guess my point is, while it makes for a good discussion, IMO, it's not a slam dunk that his contract will be reduced at all prior to next year. If he comes back and shows he is healthy and capable of being the QB that Fisher and Snead think he is, then I could see them extending him and working on his SECOND contract.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The only thing standing between the Rams organization and Bradford is his agent.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I have heard it from numerous sources that he loves football and loves playing the game and that he his well thought of within the organization. Bradford is already a rich young man and he is savvy enough to realize that being in the right place to achieve his goals and win a super bowl at this point in his career is more important than holding out for few extra millions bucks, which will never replace the feeling of winning super bowl. Bradford is in a better position than any outsider to know how close this team may be to making a super bowl run next year and beyond. The Rams are surging as a team and it should be a very attractive alternative for any prospective QB who is looking to prove themselves and have shot at a title, so why not Bradford who has the inside track. I do not think Bradford is all about the money at this point in his a career, so I think he agrees to a restructure with a one year extension deal that is fair for both sides. I am sure he understands that if he can stay upright and finally prove himself he will ultimately get the money.

I truly believe Bradford has the talent, drive, and ambition to take his game to the next level and that the Rams are probably the best place for him to do that. The only lingering question is will his body/health allow him to do it.

Last edited:

desertdawg

UDFA
I would want Bradford back, but I would also want a true quality back up. Having a true quality back up is the only reason the Cardinals are still alive. Today's game is all about back ups, our injury list looks like the list we would have submitted to the probowl.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think CoachO is right.....I wouldn't play for less money if I was him..How many times in the NFL does someone get a flashy contract with big numbers and years involved..only to find out it's all pretty much BS except the signing bonus and maybe the first couple of years of the contract? Owners don't deserve any breaks, imo....The Rams Brass and the team doctors will have to make an educated guess about what Sam Bradford can be, in 2015, and go with those results...Part of being a leader is the glory of being right if things work according to plan, and getting fired if you're wrong. Also, what is available? The draft isn't that good for QB's in my opinion, especially with where we will be picking...Sanchez or Hoyer in a trade/free agency? I'd rather have Hill or Bradford over them.....

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
images

jap

Legend
The only thing standing between the Rams organization and Bradford is his agent.

. . . and that is only if Sam is stupid enough to let his agent run the show. The player is in charge---not the agent. If a player chooses to sit back, and let his agent run things, that's his prerogative. However, enough players have been hurt by greedy agents that they should have learned by now to take charge when necessary.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Snead recently addressed the media speculation if you recall and he said they would deal with it when the season was over. I'd bet a whole lot of cheddar they aren't going to say anything else to anyone other than Bradford and his agent until then unless they do a deal before the end of the year. As stated they like him but have a responsibility to the rest of the team and ownership.

Personally I'd be willing to redo his for two seasons at a reduced rate for next year an plenty of incentives so if he kicks ass and stays on the field he can make a fair amount. If he said no to that I'd cut him. I'd structure it so that if he got hurt again in 2015 I could cut him and not have any cap hit in 2016.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I just don't understand why so many insist they have to redo his deal. It appears that people are under the impression that Bradford somehow owes the organization a "rebate" and "should" volunteer to take less $$$ than is contractually owed to him.

My question, how many of those who seem so strong about this position, would be willing to take a "heavy pay cut" and rework the final year on the contract, without some sort of protection (extension) if they were in Bradford's position?

It's easy to say he "has made enough" and "can afford to take a reduced amount".... But why would he? Players just don't give back money without getting some guarantees that they will make it back in more years, etc. And if the Rams play hardball with him, what contingencies would they have in place that wont' cost them a similar $$$ amount? (trade for a comparable starter?)

What do those who want him to "rework" his deal, think would be a fair $$$ amount?

Also, lets just say he agrees to play for $6-7M with incentives. When you factor in the prorated cap hit, his "number" would still be in the $11 - 12M range. How much are you saving? At $13M, he isn't even in the upper echelon of contracts for a starting QB.

The only way to make this doable from Bradford's perspective, would be to extend him beyond the 2016 season. Given his recent injury issues, would the Rams be willing to do that?

I guess my point is, while it makes for a good discussion, IMO, it's not a slam dunk that his contract will be reduced at all prior to next year. If he comes back and shows he is healthy and capable of being the QB that Fisher and Snead think he is, then I could see them extending him and working on his SECOND contract.

I don't understand how anyone would not expect Bradford to play on a cheaper or incentive ladden deal from the ownership/management's perspective. Sure, Bradford has every right to say no. But, ownership/management has every right to press the issue, too, given that he will have missed the last 25 or so regular season games. And especially, if the team wins out the rest of their games and finishes above .500 without him which is something that they haven't been able to do with him.

If I'm Bradford, I'd want to stay with the Rams and not start over again in a new offense on a new team. I wouldn't be lowballed to the vet minimum, but I'd expect a change in my contract terms. But, that's just me.

I'm a HUGE Sam Bradford fan, but there's no way in the world his contract shouldn't be redone for him to stay.

Last edited:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

I agree, but there is possibility it can be reworked to lower cap hit, which would have to involve an extension. I think there are some who have an anti-Sam agenda, but those of us who like Sam realize that and extension could lower cap hit but not necessarily be less money. But, in terms of market value for his second contract he has not done what was needed to get one of those $100 million deals . . . he'll make less than he would had he not been injured for last year and a half. At least, that's my view.

MrMotes

Starter
I don't think any team will pay Bradford $13 mil next year, including the Rams...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's less how you put it and more that due to Bradford's low ROI so far (even though there are reasons for it), it would be financially irresponsible of the Rams to pay him that much money. Nor will any other team offer him that kind of money.

So as long as he's going to take a pay cut anyway no matter what, he might as well take it here.

MrMotes

Starter
It's less how you put it and more that due to Bradford's low ROI so far (even though there are reasons for it), it would be financially irresponsible of the Rams to pay him that much money. Nor will any other team offer him that kind of money.

So as long as he's going to take a pay cut anyway no matter what, he might as well take it here.

Unless other teams are willing to pay him more than we are...