Fisher sticking with Wells despite errant snaps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd hate to see what Fisher thinks is bad communication if Wells has been providing good communication. Even in this last game the color announcer(Diehl I think) was aghast at defenders being completely unblocked on the inside. The center and guard positions are just letting d-lineman freely into the backfield. You'd HOPE due to miscommunication. What the hell am I supposed to think if the communication was actually "good" on those plays?

That our guys are senile and forgot their assignments immediately after Wells conveyed it. Or maybe aliens abducted Davin Joseph and replaced him with a french version of Davin Joseph that doesn't speak English. Maybe that's why there was so much miscommunication between Joseph, Barksdale, and Wells. But then, GR also seemed to be confused at times. Maybe the aliens replaced GR with a Korean version of GR who was more interested in figuring out how to stick it to Sony than pass blocking.

They say the most simple solution is usually the right one so lets just go with the aliens solution.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That our guys are senile and forgot their assignments immediately after Wells conveyed it. Or maybe aliens abducted Davin Joseph and replaced him with a french version of Davin Joseph that doesn't speak English. Maybe that's why there was so much miscommunication between Joseph, Barksdale, and Wells. But then, GR also seemed to be confused at times. Maybe the aliens replaced GR with a Korean version of GR who was more interested in figuring out how to stick it to Sony than pass blocking.

They say the most simple solution is usually the right one so lets just go with the aliens solution.

Nope. I'm going with the "all-the-offensive-line-robot-clones-except-Wells-were-faulty-products" theory.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This Wells decision is Exhibit A to illustrate how a stubborn HC with misplaced loyalties can hold his team back.

As Jrry32 said, Titan fans had warned him about this Fisher tendency.

It's simply mind boggling to start a wounded vet when a healthy Jones or Barnes are available. Whatever happened to starting the "best 5"?

And does anybody think that this is the way Wells wants to enter retirement?

And what must Hill and the other O players be thinking?

I watched Jones in that Chiefs game and thought he played pretty damned well.

And what's the WORST thing that could happen, anyway? Jones might miss blocks, bungle a couple of critical snaps in shotgun, or make wrong protection calls when facing a blitz? Oh wait... What's the difference whether we finish 6-10 or 7-9, really?

See what I mean?

Swear to Gawd, sometimes Fisher is his own worst enemy. I'm serious...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to think that Barrett Jones isn't ready, for some reason.......We drafted that guy injured..then he got injured this year, early.....A Niner fan said something that was hard for me to dispute, that Barrett Jones is our Marcus Lattimore :owned:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I have never gotten...One of Fisher's first moves in year one, was to sign FA Scott Wells, and the guy needed surgery before he even hit the practice field for the Rams and only played 7 games for us that year....I think even Jake Long needed surgery before playing for us...We re-signed Rodger Saffold after the Raiders ultimately rejected for a failing a physical....Fisher likes to take chances on injured veterans, it seems

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its one more game...vs a top notch defense in a hostile environment. It's the right decision right now. Not a big deal. Fisher knows Wells is done and he won't be the guy next season.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Its one more game...vs a top notch defense in a hostile environment. It's the right decision right now. Not a big deal. Fisher knows Wells is done and he won't be the guy next season.

Are you sure? I'm not. Fisher seems to want to play Wells in spite of all of the evidence that says that Wells is done. Why would that change next year for a healthier Wells?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would go as far as to say that Scott Wells is the worst starting C that has ever started all 16 games in the NFL. How does he still start for us if he has at least one horrible snap per game, his blocking is a joke, and his recognition and communication of the line calls are obviously leaving free runners at the QB. What does this guy do right?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wells must have pictures of Fisher, a lamb and some forks. :)

I had my doubts about him as a coach... this doesn't hel quell them at all.

fearsomefour

Legend
"Yeah, we're gonna go forward with Scott," Fisher said. "Scott does a good job inside communicating, identifying things, getting protections called."
This is the only reason he can be still playing Wells. He may get the protections called....it is the actual protection he struggles with.
Disappointing.
I really don't see the point of not letting Jones or Person get some time.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I would go as far as to say that Scott Wells is the worst starting C that has ever started all 16 games in the NFL. How does he still start for us if he has at least one horrible snap per game, his blocking is a joke, and his recognition and communication of the line calls are obviously leaving free runners at the QB. What does this guy do right?

This is what he does right...

I guess Wells is the guy who gets the doughnuts.
make_the_donuts.jpg

oldramfan

bigramfan1966
Wells is gone after this year and Fisher is jut giving him a nice way out since it makes no difference otherwise but Wells has stunk this year.

duckhunter

Starter
Yep, you know, Wells and Joseph got that continuity thing going. You get that when you know automatically what the other guy is going to do when the opposing team lines up.

I've got that continuity thing going also with the OLine. When I see the other team line up, I know immediately both of them are gonna whiff on their blocks and the QB is gonna get whacked.

I've got the continuity thing going with Fisher also. When he walks to the podium he's gonna immediately make excuses for shitty play and talk BS.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Wells is gone after this year and Fisher is jut giving him a nice way out since it makes no difference otherwise but Wells has stunk this year.
That's exactly what I was thinking and am hoping.

I appreciate Scott Wells service to the Rams, but his time has passed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've got the continuity thing going with Fisher also. When he walks to the podium he's gonna immediately make excuses for crappy play and talk BS.
I don't know how accurate that is. I hear Fisher call a bad play a bad play quite often. Even this week he said Tru blew his assignment on that first TD.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher & Company know the players better than we do, But I have a hard time believing that our Depth is sooo bad on the O-Line that we have to keep fielding Wells and Joseph! It's making me sick!! The back-up's can't be any worse, can they!?!

duckhunter

Starter
Yeah, maybe so. They're sometimes make themselves to be easy targets to make fun of. But when I see guys like Boling and Wiz kicked around as solutions when at draft time they were there as steals, I just chuckle.

If it hasn't been so long since we have had really good Oline play, I'd probably just say nothing. But this OLine has been very poor for over 10 years and we hear the same things from the coaching merry-go-around. After a while, I wonder when the light comes on and, rather than just talk about it, they fix it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Are you sure? I'm not. Fisher seems to want to play Wells in spite of all of the evidence that says that Wells is done. Why would that change next year for a healthier Wells?
Am I sure that Wells won't be back next season? I don't see how he can be brought back. Everyone is right. He's done, but so is our season. I just think Fisher would rather start the guy one more game over benching him for his last game as a Ram.

Having said that I do think that Wells should have been sat down earlier this season in favor of taking a look at Jones, Barnes. Too late now.