Fisher sticking with Wells despite errant snaps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_03768125-5de7-5e61-8339-ebc907f0fd18.html
Fisher sticking with Wells despite errant snaps
Despite two costly errant snaps by Scott Wells in Sunday's 37-27 loss to the New York Giants, coach Jeff Fisher says he is sticking with the veteran center for the Rams' season finale in Seattle.

"Yeah, we're gonna go forward with Scott," Fisher said. "Scott does a good job inside communicating, identifying things, getting protections called. So we'll go forward. He's gonna have to not allow that to happen, especially up there this week."

The first of Wells' two high snaps out of the shotgun came just before halftime, and put quarterback Shaun Hill in the scramble mode. It disrupted the timing of a play that might have been a touchdown pass to Stedman Bailey, who was open in the back corner of the end zone.

Under pressure, Hill had to throw the ball away, and the Rams settled for a field goal on the final play of the half.

The second high snap was so high, a leaping Hill couldn't control it, and the Giants recovered the loose fumble with 2 minutes left in the game.

Wells has been wearing a bulky elbow brace on his snapping arm since suffering an elbow injury in the team's Oct. 26 game with Kansas City. Fisher said the elbow no longer is a health issue and thought wearing the brace was more of a security things for Wells, who also had an errant snap late in the fourth quarter of the team's 12-6 loss to Arizona on Dec. 11.

RAM-BLINGS

Surprisingly, Fisher said he didn't think any Rams players, other than linebacker Alec Ogletree, would get fined for their actions in the fracas late in the second quarter.

_ Fisher said cornerback E.J. Gaines was better Monday, but would go through the concussion protocol this week.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Said it before, and I hope I never have to say it again...the dude can't handle pressure situations...he freaks the fuck out.

Hate to see Fisher hitch his wagon to him, but then I have no idea what we have behind him. We've never really seen it.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's a mystery to everyone who covers the Rams too. Unfathomable.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Unbelievable how bad does someone have to play for Fisher to bench them. He is not getting it done, he is dragging the rest of an already broken unit into the mud. ARRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess Wells is the guy who gets the doughnuts.
make_the_donuts.jpg

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
That's disappointing. I would rather watch someone else play center and struggle compared to him. At least we would get to see in a regular season game that the backups aren't any good either. Wells isn't going to be here next season. Might as well evaluate the backups and see if they should be here either.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I swear to fucking fate, I'm going to lose my motherfucking mind if we lose the Seattle game! Why the fuck is he sticking with someone that he knows is injured?! He has two other centers; why in the fuck can't he use them?!!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Well who the hell do you propose we start? It's not like we have a rookie that needs seasoning that played for one of the top programs in college football and earned just about all the honors a college offensive lineman could earn...

A55VA6

Legend
Wells and Joseph against Seattle's D...

Well looks like we're not scoring this week.

Athos

Legend
:palm::double::coach::wabbit::seizure::shooting::jerkoff:

That's all I have to say.

Fisher must be sharing some high quality hash with Jenkins and Givens during the week. The man is obsessed with shitty retread veterans who have nothing left.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
this should've changed a long time ago but I did think about the communication and protection experience issues with a change. fuck it one game left who cares. I let it slide at this point but he sure as shit better not be here next year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Barnes filled in before and didn't play badly. He has to have more upside than Wells does.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If his elbow is fine why is he wearing a brace? It's a "security thing" for him?

I didn't know you could play OL and have a binky too. Linus is all grown up and is playing C for the Rams now?

WTF?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yeah, I rarely disagree with Fisher but Wells has sucked all year. But like mentioned before, IDK we have better. This is a buzz kill :(

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well who the hell do you propose we start? It's not like we have a rookie that needs seasoning that played for one of the top programs in college football and earned just about all the honors a college offensive lineman could earn...
Andy McCollum still lives in the area..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've lost a lot of respect for Fisher with the way he's handling this situation. They should have went to Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes weeks ago. This is stubbornness and it's inexcusable. It's one of the things Titans fans warned me when we hired him. Fisher has a tendency to stubbornly start vets who shouldn't be on the field over younger players.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Scott does a good job inside communicating, identifying things, getting protections called.

I notice he didn't heap a lot of praise on his ball snapping ability.

As for his communicating and identifying things--well, he can't seem to do all of that AND block.

There is constant pressure up the middle and it's no secret that Joseph and Wells are the weak link--they get no great push on running up the middle either.

If Barnes and Jones are truly THAT awful...if there is some HUGE dropoff after Wells(and for the life of me I don't see how)this team should have picked up a center somewhere.

I mean--I'm just perplexed by this.

This is basic stuff and it's a big FAIL right now. I know--one game left and all but...well, we'll see what happens.

I'd guess Seattle is licking their chops.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'd hate to see what Fisher thinks is bad communication if Wells has been providing good communication. Even in this last game the color announcer(Diehl I think) was aghast at defenders being completely unblocked on the inside. The center and guard positions are just letting d-lineman freely into the backfield. You'd HOPE due to miscommunication. What the hell am I supposed to think if the communication was actually "good" on those plays?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This must be an indictment on Barnes and Jones
Neither are clearly good enough it appears to take over for Wells - which if scary

We will definitely need a Center in FA