Fisher spells it out for the world...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Fisher said the Rams are strong at DE, and since there was no pressing need, Michael Sam wasn't really on their radar. But when it gets to the 7th round teams look for guys who are rated a lot higher than the 7th round regardless of position.

So what did Fisher do?

He spelled out the fact that the Rams picked Sam so late for very good football reasons. Yet they picked him because he was great value, not because he was or wasn't gay.

AND, (very importantly), he very subtly sent out a message to all those teams that DID have a strong need for a pass rusher and were drafting 3rd string back ups from Madagascar Community College while passing on Sam.

When Silver was asked if Fisher wanted to beat the last few remaining teams to the punch, he said everyone in the Rams war room was of the opinion that Sam was going undrafted.

To paraphrase the late Bobby Kennedy....

All Jeff Fisher was doing was being "a good and decent man, who saw a wrong and tried to right it."

rdw

Pro Bowler
Did Kroenke use the four pillar philosophy when hiring Fisher?

In all seriousness, thanks for posting this.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I heard Madagascar Community College had some quality depth at the DE position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fish did a good thing, and it was a good football decision, no doubt about it. The draft looked very good even without that kind of value later on, and I have to say that I'm impressed with MS's focus on being great and football in general.

After watching that press conference a good bud of mine--who likes to give me good natured flak about the pick--looked at me and said what I was thinking... "that guy might end up making the team."

The dude seems more than ready for the NFL grind. Impressive interviews IMO. Rams may have hit on that late round pick.

…..

Legend
I think Fish has close ties in the league office, many friends, and is realy close to the commissioner based on his work with the competition commite. Particularly in the year when Fisher was not coaching, he was very active at the league offices.

So...in all honesty, I think Fisher got a phone call and did a favor and plays the media well in the aftermath.

The bonus here is obvious...the kid has a chance to help the team and we get the extra press along the way

I think Fish has close ties in the league office, many friends, and is realy close to the commissioner based on his work with the competition commite. Particularly in the year when Fisher was not coaching, he was very active at the league offices.

So...in all honesty, I think Fisher got a phone call and did a favor and plays the media well in the aftermath.

The bonus here is obvious...the kid has a chance to help the team and we get the extra press along the way

That's what I was thinking, nothing to back it up but it wouldn't surprise me, maybe we get an earlier comp pick next year for someone like Chris Williams or maybe we get competent refs for a few games next season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That's what I was thinking, nothing to back it up but it wouldn't surprise me, maybe we get an earlier comp pick next year for someone like Chris Williams or maybe we get competent refs for a few games next season.
I didn't want to comment on it but I had the same sneaky feeling. The NFL certainly didn't want the kid to go un-drafted and have to field the storm of questions as to why. And I thought maybe this is what gets the RAMS out from under the dark cloud that seemingly exists when it comes to getting a break from the NFL. I just hope Skov, Jeffcoat, or Coleman don't haunt us later on.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Why does everything have to be part of some conspiracy? Could it be possible that Sam was the best player on the Rams board at that point in the draft? I dont see Fisher drafting Sam just for the publicity only to cut him and get all the negative press that would come with that, IMO Fisher and Snead believe Sam has a chance to make the team and fulfill a role as a back up pass rusher. Remember all the positive press coverage now would be for nothing if Sam ends up getting cut and then the bad publicity would follow.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Fisher is the coach in the NFL least likely to draft a player for PR reasons. Well, behind Belichick probably. So I have no doubt it was for football reasons.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is not all a bed of roses for Fisher. The extra press comes with a lot of distractions. There will be non-football sleazy media types crawling all over the Rams business looking for a salacious story. And that's a lot more extra work for Fisher and company. Demoff said yesterday that the Rams have received much feedback on the Sam selection, both good and bad.

Does Fisher hope to garner favor with Goodell for his efforts? Who wouldn't under any circumstances. I think we can start by simply getting a fair shake when in the past we more often than not got screwed. And it could be as simple as saying, hey Roger how about actually listening to us this year when we make a compelling argument for the Seahawks playing in StL in the season finale for a change.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Fisher said the Rams are strong at DE, and since there was no pressing need, Michael Sam wasn't really on their radar. But when it gets to the 7th round teams look for guys who are rated a lot higher than the 7th round regardless of position.

So what did Fisher do?

He spelled out the fact that the Rams picked Sam so late for very good football reasons. Yet they picked him because he was great value, not because he was or wasn't gay.

AND, (very importantly), he very subtly sent out a message to all those teams that DID have a strong need for a pass rusher and were drafting 3rd string back ups from Madagascar Community College while passing on Sam.

When Silver was asked if Fisher wanted to beat the last few remaining teams to the punch, he said everyone in the Rams war room was of the opinion that Sam was going undrafted.

To paraphrase the late Bobby Kennedy....

All Jeff Fisher was doing was being "a good and decent man, who saw a wrong and tried to right it."

Nice, bro. It was wrong DE needy teams were snubbing him.

When I saw him play for Mizzou, I thought he was a 2-4 round pick depending on his combine. If someone would have drafted him in the third, I would have said "good pick." If he wasn't openly gay, third round would have been his targeted slot. He's a pass rusher, that's the LT of the OL.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nice, bro. It was wrong DE needy teams were snubbing him.

When I saw him play for Mizzou, I thought he was a 2-4 round pick depending on his combine. If someone would have drafted him in the third, I would have said "good pick." If he wasn't openly gay, third round would have been his targeted slot. He's a pass rusher, that's the LT of the OL.
I don't think he would have been a 3rd round pick...and yes, I am a Mizzou fan.

Sam had a number of sacks against poor opponents. He had a pretty poor combine.

I imagined a 3rd round would be high for him to go...possible, but an outside chance. I saw him as more of a late 4th.

Nonetheless, he was under drafted.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think he would have been a 3rd round pick...and yes, I am a Mizzou fan.

Sam had a number of sacks against poor opponents. He had a pretty poor combine.

I imagined a 3rd round would be high for him to go...possible, but an outside chance. I saw him as more of a late 4th.

Nonetheless, he was under drafted.
There is no doubt that teams passed on Sam strictly because they didn't want the distraction. They were simply being practical. It was a business decision. They felt the negatives of the distraction outweighed the positives of Sam's talent.

Fisher took it to another level. He defied the distractions. He went beyond how much Sam could really add to the loaded Rams DL. Fisher stood up for what is right and fair. And I'm still waiting for the press to truly recognize this.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
There is no doubt that teams passed on Sam strictly because they didn't want the distraction. They were simply being practical. It was a business decision. They felt the negatives of the distraction outweighed the positives of Sam's talent.

Fisher took it to another level. He defied the distractions. He went beyond how much Sam could really add to the loaded Rams DL. Fisher stood up for what is right and fair. And I'm still waiting for the press to truly recognize this.
I don't doubt that at all. But it's also fair to understand that Michael Sam wasn't an undeniable talent either. He has flaws as a player.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FWIW I still think Kroenke was a driving force, Fisher said that he was "in on the decision", how many other choices was Stan in on ?

duckhunter

Starter
The title is a bit strong and I don't know if Fisher would endorse it but, as long as Fisher can spell playoffs, I don't give a rat's ass about this stuff.

If he can't, I can see fans starting to spell things out for him in spite of the obvious improvements.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not buying the he did what was right argument. The league not wanting the shit storm for him going undrafted is a lot more likely.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
A question that occurs to me,and might have occurred to other teams,if Sam had chosen to keep his sexuality private ,as some other players are doing now, would he be within his rights to do so? I say yes.
So do other players who don't want to "come out" suffer pressure to do so?
If another Rams player does come out now can THAT effect locker room chemistry.
Just spit ballin here but if "trysts" evolve in a locker room, that's a paradigm that would be amazingly tough to deal with,and save the "it won't happen comments" no one knows it will no one knows it won't.
Those are IMO the kinds of questions teams who passed on Sam considered,not just ,oh he's gay....pass.

Fisher/ Kroenke took a hell of a chance but FWIW I think the upside is going to be well worth it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why does everything have to be part of some conspiracy? Could it be possible that Sam was the best player on the Rams board at that point in the draft? I dont see Fisher drafting Sam just for the publicity only to cut him and get all the negative press that would come with that, IMO Fisher and Snead believe Sam has a chance to make the team and fulfill a role as a back up pass rusher. Remember all the positive press coverage now would be for nothing if Sam ends up getting cut and then the bad publicity would follow.
It's not a conspiracy, it's business. Why wouldn't the NFL work together to create a great media story for itself? It's totally logical.