Fisher not concerned about job security/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher not concerned about job security
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_cded074c-d0bd-588f-b50c-c51c1f05add5.html

In the wake of a fourth consecutive loss, and with the prospect of a fourth consecutive losing season looming, the subject of coach Jeff Fisher’s future is out in the open. It’s now open season on job security.

When asked Monday if the Rams had shown enough progress during his tenure to merit a fifth season as the team’s head coach, Fisher addressed the issue.

“I’ve been doing this for probably short of 20 years, and I’ve never gone into a game or into a season worried about my job security,” Fisher said. “That would be unfair to the organization and unfair to the players. So I’m not concerned about that.

“What I’m concerned about is this week. I know that’s not the answer you guys want to hear, but I’m concerned about this week. We’re 3-0 in the division. We’ve got the division leader coming to town, and we’re going to get ready to play.”

Three of the Rams’ final five games of the 2015 season are against fellow members of the NFC West, starting with Sunday’s noon kickoff at the Edward Jones Dome against the Arizona Cardinals.

At 9-2, the Big Red not only are division leaders but are vying for at least a first-round bye in the playoffs. Arizona coach Bruce Arians has made no secret of his dislike for the Rams, and would like nothing better than to avenge a 24-22 loss to St. Louis on Oct. 4.

Meanwhile, the 4-7 Rams are flailing away in search of a life preserver. They must sweep their final five games not only to avoid a 12th consecutive non-winning season but also have any semblance of a chance to remain in playoff consideration.

Seeing that the team has never won more than three games in a row under Fisher, doing so only once — in 2012 — running the table now seems highly unlikely.

“Mathematically, we’re not eliminated,” Fisher said.

But then he added: “I’m not going to put all of the pressure (on winning Sunday). We talked to the players today. We’re not going to put this live-or-die or win-or-lose situation on this game. We’re going to have fun, we’re going to work, we’re going to prepare and we’re going to get ready to play the Cardinals.”

One month ago, the situation looked downright rosy for Fisher and the Rams. At 4-3, the team entered November with a winning record for the first time since 2006. After a brutal opening stretch of games against Seattle, Pittsburgh, Arizona and Green Bay, it looked like the team was starting to reap the benefits of a softer schedule over the back half of the season.

But then came the losing streak: two losses on “walk-off” field goals (to Minnesota and Baltimore) and two blowout losses by 24 points (to Chicago and Cincinnati).

It’s rare in the NFL that a coach who encounters three consecutive losing seasons gets a fourth season with that same club. For a coach to suffer four consecutive losing seasons and get a fifth is basically unheard of.

Fisher is in the fourth year of a five-year contract paying him about $7 million a year. For one, owner Stan Kroenke may not want to eat the final $7 million of Fisher’s contract by firing him after this season.

For another, he may want to keep Fisher around after this season because of the planned move of the team to Los Angeles. Fisher has experience relocating a team, having done so with the Houston Oilers after the 1996 season to Tennessee.

No matter what the future brings, one of the most important things in Fisher’s mind over the final five weeks of the season is trying to keep the team focused.

“It’s about avoiding distractions,” Fisher said. “It’s about believing in yourself and working hard and finding ways to improve. It’s especially difficult on them right now because of the lack of production on offense.”

As has been the case for several weeks, the Rams are 31st in total offense and 32nd in passing offense in the league. The team’s current passing yards average of 180.9 per game would be the fourth-lowest total in the franchise’s 21 seasons in St. Louis.

In all seven losses, the Rams have scored 18 or fewer points. Only San Francisco with 152 points has scored fewer than the Rams (186) so far this season.

“But you look at the (Cincinnati) tape and there’s potential for big plays in this game,” Fisher said. “It can show them that, ‘Hey, this is an elite team that we played. This is a playoff team that’s been there for years. They’ve got a Pro Bowl quarterback. Had a couple of things gone differently, the end of the game could’ve been different.’

“That’s the perspective that you take. We’ve lost four in a row. (We’re) not losers. Their effort is outstanding. They’re doing the best they can. We just have to find a way to make some plays.”

Now in his 20th full season as an NFL head coach, Fisher says he’s never had an offense struggle like the Rams’ has this season.

“It’s a combination of things,” he said. “We’re going to find our way out of it. We’ve got good players. Got playmakers. We just have to get them the ball.”

Even in the midst of the four-game winning streak and on the heels of Sunday’s 31-7 shellacking by the Bengals, Fisher said the team psyche remained good Monday.

“We had a good meeting; got things corrected,” Fisher said. “They’re looking forward to a day off. I would anticipate most of them are going to be in the building (Tuesday) and we’ll (practice) Wednesday.”

Fisher is changing the team’s practice routine, making Tuesday the mandatory day off this week instead of Thursday.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“I’m not going to put all of the pressure (on winning Sunday). We talked to the players today. We’re not going to put this live-or-die or win-or-lose situation on this game. We’re going to have fun, we’re going to work, we’re going to prepare and we’re going to get ready to play the Cardinals.”

They’re doing the best they can.

“We’re going to find our way out of it. We’ve got good players. Got playmakers.

“We had a good meeting; got things corrected,”

SMH.
:palm:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Title easily could have been, Fisher won't worry about things that he can't control.

He, instead chooses to remain focused on coaching this team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm really conflicted lately. Really conflicted.

On the one hand, I understand what Fisher is talking about when he says he's not going to put pressure on the team to win or die, because that kind of tension will make players tentative about what they're doing for fear of making a mistake that could cost the game. It makes you think too much about what's going on and you take less chances. You're no longer playing balls out. I've seen it happen in organized sports before. Playing without that stress and having fun loosens you up to just go out and ball.

On the other hand, give me a freakin' break. Have fun on your own time. Every player on that team should be put on notice at this point. From Aaron Donald all the way down to Chase Daniel. If you play sloppy, then grab some pine and win your job back from the next guy up ... if you can.

On the other other hand (I have 3 hands now), we're not so freaking deep that we can just bench everyone and play what amounts to 3rd and 4th stringers. You think we're bad on offense now, it will be November 4, 1979 Seattle bad if we do that. And it will also make the only strength (the defense) exponentially worse if we start benching across the board there. It's gotta suck to be an NFL Head Coach at this point in a season with things going the way they are and things happening the way they did to get you there.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm really conflicted lately. Really conflicted.

On the one hand, I understand what Fisher is talking about when he says he's not going to put pressure on the team to win or die, because that kind of tension will make players tentative about what they're doing for fear of making a mistake that could cost the game. It makes you think too much about what's going on and you take less chances. You're no longer playing balls out. I've seen it happen in organized sports before. Playing without that stress and having fun loosens you up to just go out and ball.

On the other hand, give me a freakin' break. Have fun on your own time. Every player on that team should be put on notice at this point. From Aaron Donald all the way down to Chase Daniel. If you play sloppy, then grab some pine and win your job back from the next guy up ... if you can.

On the other other hand (I have 3 hands now), we're not so freaking deep that we can just bench everyone and play what amounts to 3rd and 4th stringers. You think we're bad on offense now, it will be November 4, 1979 Seattle bad if we do that. And it will also make the only strength (the defense) exponentially worse if we start benching across the board there. It's gotta suck to be an NFL Head Coach at this point in a season with things going the way they are and things happening the way they did to get you there.

Well said.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And, last year? Earlier this year? Yeah... maybe don't put too much pressure on them... might have made sense then.

But now? With the team reeling and after last week?

I keep going back to that definition of insanity thing... if I were him? The gloves come off... nice daddy becomes really bad daddy...

Would that work? I dunno...

But being nice daddy is not working anymore (not sure it ever was, actually).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I didn't watch the end of the Patsies game.. but I thought I heard the guy that failed to execute on the game winning play for them was... well, executed?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Title easily could have been, Fisher won't worry about things that he can't control.

He, instead chooses to remain focused on coaching this team.

JT did a little click-whoring with that title didn't he LOL.

@-X- I know what your saying..........but IMO it isn't bad enough to blow up and start over again.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I hope the unworried Fisher and the Rams can put it together this week...can you imagine? that city will go berserk if the Rams beat their Cards twice this season. :LOL:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope the unworried Fisher and the Rams can put it together this week...can you imagine? that city will go berserk if the Rams beat their Cards twice this season. :LOL:
Historically, we've played division foes well.. or beaten them.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
They all say that

Four days ago Matt Campbell , the head coach at Toledo , told everyone he wasn't going anywhere

Yesterday , Iowa State introduced Matt Campbell as their new head coach

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They all say that

Four days ago Matt Campbell , the head coach at Toledo , told everyone he wasn't going anywhere

Yesterday , Iowa State introduced Matt Campbell as their new head coach
I think that is an Iowa only problem, geez.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I defended Fisher far too long. there was always at least a reason or setback of why they couldn't get over the hump. but in year 4 he set his bed and now he's gotta lie in it. he wanted this quarterback and he had the nerve to give him an extension before a single goddamn snap. and he decided he was gonna delay overhauling the line so he puts 2 rookies on it, a first year center, an injury prone guard and a very underwhelming 1st round LT and with a bunch more rookies to back them up. I never held my breath this year even after the first couple games. excuses are over, he has a prerecordes sound track ever press conference about working to get better with the same result and in 4 years couldn't even reduce the penalties and discipline. so what, does anybody think the "kiss my ass" was him snapping and honestly forcing changes in the future? doubtful. our elite defensive window is fading fast. it blows my mind and is so amazing upsetting they managed to build such a good defense (with plenty of extra 1st round picks) but couldn't even produce a mediocre offense. no injured Bradford this year, no excuses. and I for one won't sit back much longer and watch Todd Gurley turn into the next Steven Jackson because of incompetent coaching and a revolving door of new coaches if that happens.