Fisher isn't out of touch in my opinion (visual aid)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For those who believe the Rams' offense is archaic and Fisher is out of touch with today's "modern" NFL offenses, do me a favor and suspend disbelief in his vision for a minute and take a look at something real quick. These are the splits for the Rams last year in terms of running and passing in the first and second halves. ( courtesy of http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2015.htm )

CgfNrb6XIAUBfJl.jpg:large

The following is our average margin of defeat:
ssHXyw1.jpg

And this last graphic represents the games that were arguably decided by QB play.

NkcEUGC.jpg

*IF* (and I understand it's a big IF) these games were quarterbacked a little better, the record last year, conceivably could have been 13-3 instead of 7-9. And that's a very fair estimate in my opinion. So I ask you. What's wrong with the way this offense runs other than the fact that it didn't have a top QB? In my opinion, this team (including this offense) is built for late January/early February football. If they get this pick right, and get a little luck in the injury department, we're already on the track to success. We just need to quit having it derailed by injury and only average QB play.

We can argue ad infinitum about whether or not Fisher/Snead botched the QB position over the past few years, but that's absolutely an exercise in futility. There are too many variables to consider when making such a claim (IMO), but arguments can be made the other way as well. The bottom line, however, is that they are in a position to silence that particular criticism now. They made the move to insert the final piece this year, so it's moot.

Disagree?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Boom. Great analysis. This confirms what I've been saying as well. The chicken little crowd think we need to blow it all up. We have most of the pieces. Solid QB play will be HUGE.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they get this pick right, and get a little luck in the injury department, we're already on the track to success.

Lets hope and pray that both Goff and Wentz are future NFL superstars. That way they can't lose.

I agree too. A little better QB play and a little better catching and this team has a completely different feel. The Defense is there and ready. Sustain more drives with a few key, accurate passes and hang onto those passes and the Rams are in very good shape.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Boom. Great analysis. This confirms what I've been saying as well. The chicken little crowd think we need to blow it all up. We have most of the pieces. Solid QB play will be HUGE.
Still think we need at least one good perimeter receiver and could use an upgrade at TE, but I'm holding out hope that this is Quick's year if we can't get anything done in the draft or free agency as it relates to finding an immediate starter. I would love it if Fisher and Snead finished off this 'splash' move with a cannon-ball and landed Moritz Boehringer in the draft to replace what Cook was (supposed to be) offering. He'd need a crash course in NFL speed and timing, but man do I think he would pay off big in the long run.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I have thought the same and think that most don't get give weight to the synergistic effect that a good QB would have on this team. With a solid running game and defense, the additional threat of the passing game would open the running game right up along with allowing the defense to get a blow. If the drafted QB is good then I think this team goes to the playoffs. And I think both Goff/Wentz are much better than what we currently have. Thanks for the great analysis and digging up the stats to back you claims up. This is why I love this board!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Now, where people felt that Fisher was out of touch was when he thought Foles could get it done, despite struggles in year two with Chip Kelly. Also anointing a career backup QB with average arm talent next years starter. Throw in hanging onto faith in Bradford a bit too long and passing up other QBs in the draft. All fair criticisms IMO. Maybe he just said enough with the hanging onto hope that things pan out. Time to make it happen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Under Shotty, it seemed we abandoned the run when it was working, to throw the ball. (Same issue with the Jets)
I dont think Fisher necessarily likes to pass but I do believe he's ok with the dump off/check down passing game that shows in stat sheets as a pass attempt but in reality is more of a hybrid run.

As for where we see the offense going? Fisher loves Case Keenum and he played in a true spread in college, taking most snaps from shot gun. He's made a remarkable transition to taking snaps from center. Wonder if Fisher thinks that he could benefit some young gun making the same transition? Hmm....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As for where we see the offense going? Fisher loves Case Keenum and he played in a true spread in college, taking most snaps from shot gun. He's made a remarkable transition to taking snaps from center. Wonder if Fisher thinks that he could benefit some young gun making the same transition? Hmm....
I honestly don't think that weighs into their decision on this at all. Meaning, it's not a negative mark against Goff or a pro for Wentz. I think they're looking at both in a vacuum outside of the level of competition or the type/style of offense they were running. What happens when the ball is in their hands and bullets start flying? That's what I think they're looking at more than anything. Everything else in terms of drops, and taking snaps out of different sets/formations, is teachable. And for both, really, has to be taught anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For those who believe the Rams' offense is archaic and Fisher is out of touch with today's "modern" NFL offenses, do me a favor and suspend disbelief in his vision for a minute and take a look at something real quick. These are the splits for the Rams last year in terms of running and passing in the first and second halves. ( courtesy of http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2015.htm )

ssHXyw1.jpg

And this last graphic represents the games that were arguably decided by QB play.

NkcEUGC.jpg

*IF* (and I understand it's a big IF) these games were quarterbacked a little better, the record last year, conceivably could have been 13-3 instead of 7-9. And that's a very fair estimate in my opinion. So I ask you. What's wrong with the way this offense runs other than the fact that it didn't have a top QB? In my opinion, this team (including this offense) is built for late January/early February football. If they get this pick right, and get a little luck in the injury department, we're already on the track to success. We just need to quit having it derailed by injury and only average QB play.

We can argue ad infinitum about whether or not Fisher/Snead botched the QB position over the past few years, but that's absolutely an exercise in futility. There are too many variables to consider when making such a claim (IMO), but arguments can be made the other way as well. The bottom line, however, is that they are in a position to silence that particular criticism now. They made the move to insert the final piece this year, so it's moot.

Disagree?
like.png

*IF* (and I understand it's a big IF) these games were quarterbacked a little better, the record last year, conceivably could have been 13-3 instead of 7-9.
Or at a minimum 10 and 6!!(y);)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nice job @-X- and it's another way to illustrate to people that Fisher isn't the dinosaur some people want to paint him as.........like I have said many times how many coaches in the NFL could play their 2nd and 3rd string QB's for two years in a row and win 13 games?

I've only gotten one response "Belichik won 11 games with a backup".

I'm still waiting for any other answer.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
A decent QB is what this team has been lacking to take that next step.I'm in the group that thinks Fisher is out of touch with todays game.His playcalling can be somewhat vanilla at times very predictable. Now if Goff or Wentz are decent Qbs i would expect for that to change. If he does then we should be good with an improved o-line and Gurley 100%.If he doesn't then we will know for sure that he's stuck in a different era.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice job @-X- and it's another way to illustrate to people that Fisher isn't the dinosaur some people want to paint him as.........like I have said many times how many coaches in the NFL could play their 2nd and 3rd string QB's for two years in a row and win 13 games?

I've only gotten one response "Belichik won 11 games with a backup".

I'm still waiting for any other answer.
Bill O'Brien had the Texans in the playoffs last year using 4 different QB. Just sayin

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bill O'Brien had the Texans in the playoffs last year using 4 different QB. Just sayin

But that's just one year, which is why I mentioned Belichik, he only did it once too.

Not to mention if the Rams were in that division they would have won 9 or 10 games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's just one year, which is why I mentioned Belichik, he only did it once too.

Not to mention if the Rams were in that division they would have won 9 or 10 games.
So being in the playoffs with a 4th string QB doesn't count? I don't understand the logic.
And no you can't just assume wins and losses like that. Doesn't work that way. The Rams beat teams like Arizona and Seattle and lost to San Fran. There's no gimmes

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, but, AFC South.

DnwOC5s.jpg

They scored an average of 3.6 more points per game and gave up fewer points on defense. I have to wonder what the Rams' record would look like if they played in that division, had DeAndre Hopkins and didn't lose Gaines, Ogletree & Quinn. Also have to wonder how the Texans would fair in the NFC West. Last time around they went 0-4 against this division. I know that wasn't under O'Brien, but still. That was a tougher schedule and playing 2 different QBs as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So being in the playoffs with a 4th string QB doesn't count? I don't understand the logic.
And no you can't just assume wins and losses like that. Doesn't work that way. The Rams beat teams like Arizona and Seattle and lost to San Fran. There's no gimmes

That's an awful division, the Rams would have gotten 9 wins for sure in that cakepan.

And still my point is Fisher had to deal with losing his QB just before the season twice.

Give this ballclub above average QB play and they are making some noise in the regular season and playoffs.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

ssHXyw1.jpg

NkcEUGC.jpg

Disagree?

Great post X. I totally agree. Hell, even with marginal QB play our execution of the offense was so bad at times even when the right play was called we messed it up. And HEALTH, as you added has hurt us for sure.
So with a decent to good QB things would be WAY different IMO as well.
If you would of told me before the game we'd hold Pittsburgh to 12 points I would say we win 9/10 times...
I think if our OL stays healthy they can be very good. We all know what we have in Gurley so even avg production from the QB spot we're a playoff team. Now if we draft a QB that can be around the top 10 in the league, well, watch out. I think the GB game is a perfect example of this. Foles and his 4 INT's were what lost the game for us.His pick 6 and INT in our end zone were a 14 point swing. How many did we lose by? I rest my case your honor.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Still think we need at least one good perimeter receiver and could use an upgrade at TE, but I'm holding out hope that this is Quick's year if we can't get anything done in the draft or free agency as it relates to finding an immediate starter. I would love it if Fisher and Snead finished off this 'splash' move with a cannon-ball and landed Moritz Boehringer in the draft to replace what Cook was (supposed to be) offering. He'd need a crash course in NFL speed and timing, but man do I think he would pay off big in the long run.

Agree with this as well. The overall offense is ok, but without additional weapons for our new QB to throw to I think we are still a bit handicapped. Tavon is a great weapon but imagine how much better he is with an AJ Green type receiver to go with him. Plus, the effect those weapons has on the LOS for Gurley is huge as well.
We are getting so close..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but, AFC South.

DnwOC5s.jpg

They scored an average of 3.6 more points per game and gave up fewer points on defense. I have to wonder what the Rams' record would look like if they played in that division, had DeAndre Hopkins and didn't lose Gaines, Ogletree & Quinn. Also have to wonder how the Texans would fair in the NFC West. Last time around they went 0-4 against this division. I know that wasn't under O'Brien, but still. That was a tougher schedule and playing 2 different QBs as well.
The Rams were 3-1 vs Seartle and Arizona and 4-8 vs the rest of their schedule. Or 4-2 inside the toughest division and 3-7 outside. The Rams didn't play the weak teams well so playing an easier schedule doesn't change things.
I truly didn't intend to be counterpoint to your thread but can't make excuses for O'Brien success either

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remember when Vermiel was out of touch? That stuff is usually BS.

Vermiel suddenly wasn't out of touch once they added a skilled OC to his staff and improved the QB, OL, and skill positions. He was revealed to be an exceptional HEAD COACH who took care of his players.

The same could happen to Fish IF his staff is up to snuff. That's the unknown. But they're gonna have QB, OL, and skill positions covered. WR isn't great by any means, might not even be good, but so many teams have won it all without a good WR corps that I don't think that is going to matter. Here's hoping the same thing happens for Fish, because he's a great dude and I love the way he handles this team and the media.