Fisher Hoping to Sign Kenny Britt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Rams, Kenny Britt still talking
By Ryan Van Bibber@justRVB on Mar 26 2014, 8:37a 119
gyi0061820114.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The St. Louis Rams may still end up with the veteran wideout.

Orlando, Fla. -- On Tuesday, Kenny Britt had a better than 50 percent chance of signing a deal with the St. Louis Rams, according to general manager Les Snead. On Wednesday, head coach Jeff Fisher took that one step further, making it clear that the veteran receiver's chances of joining the Rams could now be even greater.
"I'll stand behind what he said," Fisher said when asked about Snead's comments. "I'm hoping that sometime here very soon we'll get something done."
Britt's second chance tour has taken him to Buffalo, New England and Washington since taking his first free agent visit with the Rams. The Panthers and the Seahawks have also been linked to Britt, described as "interested" by ESPN's Adam Schefter. But a reunion with his former head coach in Tennessee would now seem to be the most likely outcome in Britt's hunt for a new team.

The Titans took Britt with the 30th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. He caught 42 passes that year, with 701 yards and three touchdowns. His best season came in 2010, when he caught another 42 passes for 775 yards and nine touchdowns. Since then, he's been plagued with injuries, off-field issues, and a paucity of quarterbacking talent in Tennessee.
The Rams gave Britt's knees a clean bill of health on his physical last week. However, the Patriots reportedly did not like what they saw when they checked into his health.
Based on his career struggles, it's likely that the Rams, or whatever team that does end up signing him, would do so on a short-term contract, or at least one heavy on incentives, but that remains to be seen.

St. Louis needs receiving help, despite spending two top-50 draft picks on the position since hiring Fisher and Snead in 2012. Tavon Austin, the eighth overall pick last year, struggled to pick up the offense as a rookie, finishing with just 418 yards. Brian Quick, the 33rd pick in 2012, has failed to live up to expectations so far, leaving the Rams shorthanded for pass catchers on the boundaries and a physical presence to match up with the NFC West's imposing cornerbacks. Britt would instantly become the Rams' No. 1 wide receiver.
If the Rams do sign Britt, it might not be the last receiver the team acquires this year. They have the second and 13th picks in the draft, both considered prime spots for either Clemson's Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans of Texas A&M. Fisher refused to rule out the possibility of his team taking either one of those players.

"You can never have enough," Fisher said about receivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A team source tells ESPN that Washington is still interested in free agent Kenny Britt.
Per reporter John Keim, Washington is "just waiting for (Britt) to make up his mind." Britt made visits to Carolina, St. Louis, Buffalo, New England and Washington, but the Patriots have ruled themselves out as a destination. Rams GM Les Snead put his team's odds of signing Britt at "better than 50 percent." Britt should reach a decision sometime in the next 48 hours. Mar 25 - 10:13 PM
Source: ESPN.com

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a feeling KB will be a Ram by the end of the day.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I would not mind this signing at all. SB seems to make a quick bond with veteran WRs the Rams bring in, Clayton and Loyd. KBs understanding of what the D is doing can only benefit the young guys and with his size SM should be able to feed him the ball even when the coverage is good. Lets hope KB is looking forward to a reunion with Fisher.

jjab360

Legend
I would not mind this signing at all. SB seems to make a quick bond with veteran WRs the Rams bring in, Clayton and Loyd. KBs understanding of what the D is doing can only benefit the young guys and with his size SM should be able to feed him the ball even when the coverage is good. Lets hope KB is looking forward to a reunion with Fisher.
Not necessarily, don't forget MSW and Steve Smith.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The upside on Britt is very limited, IMO. If we got him I wouldn't expect much. Therefore, I don't care either way if we sign him for cheap with no guranteed money.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Most interesting piece of this article. I wish we were privy to the details of decisions like these.

Yeah, really.

Our docs must have low expectations, first Saffold, now Britt... Lol.

RamEERS

Pastor
Most interesting piece of this article. I wish we were privy to the details of decisions like these.
that's interesting... and worried at the same time... now it seems like the rams are really bad at telling gauging injury (roger saffold)

RamEERS

Pastor
don't expect much either from Britt, but he returns to his pre-ACL/MCL injury days... we get a reaaalllyyyy good WR... if you look at his stats in 2010.. he was well on his way to 1k yards before his knee ripped in half... i still remember he got me like 50 pts in fantasy against the eagles one week..
but yeah... since he's been hurt he hasn't done much...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no problems with Britt myself...if there was ever a team where Britt could get his act together its here. Fisher know Britt and can handle him and his mouth or he is gone. But this team is on the slow rising big wave....I really like catching these waves @ the right time myself ....Britt would be real smart to latch on to this team & play hard. It looks like a good fit to me.

As far as liberal doctors I watched OL Rodger Saffold play his best last yr in his NFL career with that supposed bad damaged shoulder. Maybe Saffold needs to damage his other shoulder too he may play even better.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to contracts, but I'm not the dullest either. What I would like to see with Britt is a 1 year contract with a club option for a 2nd year. In this day and age that type of contract may not be feasible, but I'm thinking if Britt does come in and prove himself, then that 2nd year option would be good to have in pocket.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to contracts, but I'm not the dullest either. What I would like to see with Britt is a 1 year contract with a club option for a 2nd year. In this day and age that type of contract may not be feasible, but I'm thinking if Britt does come in and prove himself, then that 2nd year option would be good to have in pocket.

the patriots did that with revis. he signed for $12m this season and the patriots have an option on him next season but it will cost them $20m to take it up. so if revis plays lights out he still gets his $16m per year and the patriots get the best cb in the league under lock down and will probably work out some sort of extension to make it more feasible.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
the patriots did that with revis. he signed for $12m this season and the patriots have an option on him next season but it will cost them $20m to take it up. so if revis plays lights out he still gets his $16m per year and the patriots get the best cb in the league under lock down and will probably work out some sort of extension to make it more feasible.

If we can do a similar deal with Britt I'm all for it. Wonder if it would put Austin Pettis on the bubble though in pre-season for a roster spot - especially if we draft Watkins or Evans.

Re: the medicals - I doubt its that the Ram's have "bad" doctors or whatever - the same stuff will come up. Its just that we don't have the luxury of turning down quality because they "might" get hurt again sometime soon like the Pats do. Our roster needs the upgrade too badly for that.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya
don't expect much either from Britt, but he returns to his pre-ACL/MCL injury days... we get a reaaalllyyyy good WR... if you look at his stats in 2010.. he was well on his way to 1k yards before his knee ripped in half... i still remember he got me like 50 pts in fantasy against the eagles one week..
but yeah... since he's been hurt he hasn't done much...

I had Britt during his stud days too... Hoping him and Quick can be the starters on the outside.