Fisher hopes Seattle win can be a springboard/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It looked like a crowning achievement in his career, seeing James Laurnaitis walk off Seattle's field with a victory!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher has thrown the challenge flag 78 times as a pro coach winning 29 of them.

For the Rams, he is 7 for 15.

What I will say for him is he has built a team that can play in the NFC West - but that seems to be all it can do - year after year.

Well I guess we will find out if this Seattle victory is a springboard or just a hyped up effort of season ending spoiling. Unfortunately it will be next year.

fancents86

Starter
Tunnel vision?

We aren't looking at a small sample size here - either in looking at his STL record (27-35-1) or his overall record. (169-155-1). For all of the success you point to, he has been in one super bowl and only made it to that one via the music city miracle.

I was willing to give him passes in years past just because of the QB injuries. But at some point you have to cut your losses. This is the end of year 4 and not one winning record? Not one playoff birth? Nothing at all to show for his 4 years.

And yes, he inherited a mess - no questions there. If I saw an upwards trend, I might be tempted to keep him but I see him getting out coached all too often.

But ... Sigh ... We are in for another year. He is staying and we will rally around him and hope for the best.

One thing i'd like to add to this is in Fishers first season, with one draft and one season of FA, we went 7-8-1. That's pretty damn good with the roster we had. I think we've done a badass job in the draft and a decent job in FA, so why are still hovering around mediocre in year four with Fisher? We have had the injuries, but injuries are part of the game. The Cards were running with second and third stringers almost all season last year. The Redskins this year are not anything special but they are going to the playoffs. Seattle released some star players last season, they're still going in, and we swept them! We need to learn to beat teams outside of our division if we are going to go anywhere. Beating teams inside our division is our MO, outside we stink it up. To me that's all on Fisher.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher put his stock in Bradford, and that was ultimately a mistake.
Fisher didnt adequately back up Bradford, and that was ultimately a mistake.
Fisher went out and got Foles, was so certain he was the guy he got an extension, and that ultimately is a mistake
I think its pretty safe to say the failure of this team is due to the lack of consistant, quality QB play.
They go out and rout San Fran the way they should and Fisher is for sure safe for next year.
But there cant be anymore "QB holding back the team" mulligans for him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We are on historical ground right now for retention. I don't believe any team ever has kept a coach around following this kind of - well, non-success.

Maybe staying the course will pay off - but Fisher has done more than enough to get the axe.

Assuming we keep him - and it's looking like we will - what I would like to see more than anything is for Fish to recognize his limitations and address them.

The challenge flag: dedicate a member of the staff to this - don't challenge just because it would be nice if it was overturned - challenge it when there is evidence to overturn. I feel like we get 3-4 really bad challenges per year out of Fish.

Mix it up. If I know the play from my couch, odds are the opposing DC or OC does too.

Go for the win no matter what. Punting down by 2+ scores in the 4th quarter (I don't care what the down and distance is) is quitting. There are no moral victories, only victories.

Do something about penalties. There are 2 things at play here. I know every team thinks this, but we get screwed by the officials. Is this a Fisher thing? Probably not - although he doesn't seem like much of a squeaky wheel out there. More realistically, it goes with point #2 - the presnap penalties. Offsides, illegal formation, delay of game - after 4 seasons and these problems overlaying waves of different players, the blame has to go on the staff. We have a reputation as a sloppy team. They expect us to hold and way more than that - they expect personal fouls. Fair or not, people on the inside of the NFL hold on to this thought - that we play dirty. That may not be Fishers fault at all - heck - it IS not his fault - but the Rams suffer from the reputation nonetheless.