Fisher hopes Seattle win can be a springboard/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher hopes Seattle win can be a springboard
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f2a24548-8874-5190-8225-54b8ec05f67c.html

Sunday’s totally unexpected 23-17 victory over Seattle won’t get the Rams into the playoffs. It didn’t even get them to .500 — they’ll need another win in the season finale in San Francisco to avoid coach Jeff Fisher’s fourth consecutive losing season with the Rams.

Even so, the victory’s importance can’t be overestimated, because if you can win in Seattle, you can win anywhere in the NFL.

“I feel like when the Cardinals won up here a couple years ago, I think that really gave them a belief that they could go anywhere and get a ‘W,’” linebacker James Laurinaitis said.

Obviously, the Rams hope it can have the same effect on them, and a carryover impact to 2016.

“Yeah, I think there’s something to be said about that,” Fisher said. “It’s not an easy place to play.”

For that reason and more, Fisher rated it as among the top three victories since he came to St. Louis in 2012 and probably the top road victory over that span.

“I’ll credit our offensive line and the offensive coaches and the game plan and Case (Keenum),” Fisher said. “We didn’t have a false start, we didn’t have a sack in one of, if not the toughest, places to play. I don’t think there’s many teams that can say they came in and out of here without either one of those two things.”

Beyond that, Keenum was barely touched by the Seattle pass rush. He ended the game with a clean uniform and a fresh body. Unofficial press box stats credited the Seattle defense with zero quarterback hits.

In case you’ve forgotten, Keenum is operating behind a line that consists of two rookies (right guard Cody Wichmann and right tackle Rob Havenstein), an undrafted center in his first full year as a starter (Tim Barnes), a journeyman at left guard (Garrett Reynolds) and a struggling high draft pick at left tackle (Greg Robinson).

“We’re not knocking people off the ball like we would like to,” Fisher said. “Eventually we’ll be able to. But we are protecting the passer. We aren’t attempting a lot of passes, but when we do we’re protecting the passer. We’re getting rid of the ball.

“These guys are doing a good job downfield. They’re athletic. They’re making the blocks. Our screen game is working. They understand the scheme. They have a good sense for misdirection and the Tavon (Austin) reverses. We just have to keep going and expand on it.”

Don’t be confused. It’s not like the Rams are piling up the yards. Keenum had a mere 103 yards passing against Seattle — a good total in maybe 1935. But the Rams have been efficient on offense and are playing nearly mistake-free football on that side of the ball.

With the help of Barnes pouncing on a couple of fumbles Sunday, the Rams have committed only one turnover during their three-game winning streak. Overall, they are plus-5 in takeaway-giveaway differential in those games.

With the Rams at 4-8 and saddled with a five-game losing streak in early December, the wheels appeared to be falling off. A 5-11 or even 4-12 finish seemed to be inevitable. Calls for Fisher’s ouster and a major house-cleaning reached a crescendo.

But Fisher and the Rams kept it together and cobbled together three victories since a post-concussion Keenum was re-inserted as the starting quarterback and Rob Boras replaced Frank Cignetti as offensive coordinator.

“It’s a one week at a time process — that’s the key,” Fisher said. “You have to be consistent every week. At the same time, you’ve got to change things up. You can’t dwell on the wins; you can’t get overworked over the losses.

“You just keep going and get them to trust that what we’re doing and the way we’re doing it is the right way. You stress improvement, and that’s what we’ve done. Again, like I said (Sunday), we’ve made a couple of changes. Difficult changes.

“One, to go with Case, and then to give the offense over to Rob. It appears after three weeks that those were good decisions. Guys are really excited right now. ... I don’t remember seeing that kind of energy in the locker room that we saw after a win.”

So Fisher isn’t going anywhere; even a loss to the 49ers won’t change that. A victory over the 49ers puts the Rams at 8-8, which would snap the franchise’s string of eight consecutive losing seasons. Not exactly cause for a parade, but still better than the alternative.

Fisher does not consider 8-8 a satisfactory record.

“But 8-8 is better than 7-9,” he said. “Probably more importantly, to be able to win four straight, finish the year with four straight wins, would give us momentum into the offseason.”

Then again, there are no guarantees. In 2006, the Rams won their final three games of the season to finish 8-8 under rookie coach Scott Linehan. In 2007, the Rams went 3-13 and haven’t seen .500 since. Four games — and four losses — into 2008, Linehan was fired.

But for now, the only thing the Rams can shoot for is 8-8. And the only thing they can concern themselves with is San Francisco, reeling after a 32-17 loss in Detroit that put the 49ers at 4-11.

“Right now, the goal is 8-8, to be honest with you,” Laurinaitis said. “To get to a point where I’ve never been — and that’s just heck, 8-8, .500. For this organization, this is a big step.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel that the win in Seattle should be huge for the teams confidence to..

I also wonder if the mistake free football, on offense is a reflection of Boras coaching style. Some here claim he is very detailed and meticulous with coaching as a TEcoach. Maybe it is rubbing off.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How quickly expectations for this team came crashing down.

They are winning just enough to keep Fisher and not enough to ..... well, actually win.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How quickly expectations for this team came crashing down.

They are winning just enough to keep Fisher and not enough to ..... well, actually win.

If you are saying what I think you are saying, I think you are overlooking that this is a very young team that has lacked on field leadership for years. To me it is tough to expect much from such a group. The Seattle win though was a huge step in building confidence and teaching this team what it takes to win a big game. Playing in Seattle is a big game, when you consider how long it has been since the Rams have won there. The team is growing/maturing. It is a good sign.

It is not as if Fisher never had success in the NFL. This whole idea of him being a .500 coach is a matter of tunnel vision. He had a very good 10 year run in Tennessee, where his teams were well above .500 finishing with wins of 13, 13, 7, 11, 12, 5, 4, 8, 10, 13. The Rams haven't had that kind of success since the 70s.

We all knew that he had a monumental task rebuilding this roster and he isn't done. Fans are unrealistic and lose sight of just how fragile the line between good coach and bad coach can be. Take Brady away from Belichick or Wilson away from Carroll and they are much closer to a .500 record.

Taking the worst roster, possibly in the history of the NFL and getting it back to playoff contention is not something that happens in 4 years, unless the players were already in place and just needed competent coaching.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We can't fault Fisher for the talent he brought in. But we're not winning with that talent. I believe the reason is the quarterback position. Find a decent NFL quarterback and we'll start winning more.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you are saying what I think you are saying, I think you are overlooking that this is a very young team that has lacked on field leadership for years. To me it is tough to expect much from such a group. The Seattle win though was a huge step in building confidence and teaching this team what it takes to win a big game. Playing in Seattle is a big game, when you consider how long it has been since the Rams have won there. The team is growing/maturing. It is a good sign.

It is not as if Fisher never had success in the NFL. This whole idea of him being a .500 coach is a matter of tunnel vision. He had a very good 10 year run in Tennessee, where his teams were well above .500 finishing with wins of 13, 13, 7, 11, 12, 5, 4, 8, 10, 13. The Rams haven't had that kind of success since the 70s.

We all knew that he had a monumental task rebuilding this roster and he isn't done. Fans are unrealistic and lose sight of just how fragile the line between good coach and bad coach can be. Take Brady away from Belichick or Wilson away from Carroll and they are much closer to a .500 record.

Taking the worst roster, possibly in the history of the NFL and getting it back to playoff contention is not something that happens in 4 years, unless the players were already in place and just needed competent coaching.

* Like this 100 x *

Not to mention, this is shaping up to be a HORRIBLE offseason to be switching coaches. There are going to be a ton of openings and it's going to be a dog fight to find a HC among that much turnover.

Fisher is a damn good HC. He's made some mistakes. We're not where we need to be. But we've got a foundation in place. I prefer to keep building on what we have.

Not to mention... You want to retain our free agents? You got to keep the HC.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Dang Laurinaitis has never been 8-8 or better. That's so sad. Hopefully this is a springboard.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Tunnel vision?

We aren't looking at a small sample size here - either in looking at his STL record (27-35-1) or his overall record. (169-155-1). For all of the success you point to, he has been in one super bowl and only made it to that one via the music city miracle.

I was willing to give him passes in years past just because of the QB injuries. But at some point you have to cut your losses. This is the end of year 4 and not one winning record? Not one playoff birth? Nothing at all to show for his 4 years.

And yes, he inherited a mess - no questions there. If I saw an upwards trend, I might be tempted to keep him but I see him getting out coached all too often.

But ... Sigh ... We are in for another year. He is staying and we will rally around him and hope for the best.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Tunnel vision?

We aren't looking at a small sample size here - either in looking at his STL record (27-35-1) or his overall record. (169-155-1). For all of the success you point to, he has been in one super bowl and only made it to that one via the music city miracle.

I was willing to give him passes in years past just because of the QB injuries. But at some point you have to cut your losses. This is the end of year 4 and not one winning record? Not one playoff birth? Nothing at all to show for his 4 years.

And yes, he inherited a mess - no questions there. If I saw an upwards trend, I might be tempted to keep him but I see him getting out coached all too often.

But ... Sigh ... We are in for another year. He is staying and we will rally around him and hope for the best.

I wonder how other teams would fare with the number of OLine and defensive personnel injuries this team endured. The defense was stocked with enough depth to survive the losses of players like Quinn, Ogletree, McDonald, and Long. The OLine was a weekly puzzle until the last three weeks and even then it looks like they drafted good depth though it took awhile for the line to gel.

Given the issues at QB, I'd say Fisher did a credible job. Bradford cost too much and until late in the season, was no better than Foles. Keemun proved to be a wise trade even though the offense has to be scaled back to protect his limitations and those of the OLine in general.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder how other teams would fare with the number of OLine and defensive personnel injuries. The defense was stocked with enough depth to survive the losses of players like Quinn, Ogletree, McDonald, and Long. The OLine was a weekly puzzle until the last three weeks and even then it looks like they drafted good depth though it took awhile for the line to gel.

Given the issues at QB, I'd say Fisher did a credible job. Bradford cost too much and until late in the season, was no better than Foles.

The issues at QB are on Fisher if you ask me. Nick Foles wasn't forced on him. And he waited waaay too long to pull him. Ended up costing the season.

And every team has injuries - ask the Patriots who continue to win thanks to elite coaching - and let's not pretend like we were rolling when we were healthy. We have been .500 at best all year long.

MountainRam

Rookie
When you think you turned a corner under Fisher, remember his NFL career pulse:

heartbeat_by_domice-d4qumv7.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Did everyone miss that? ZERO QB HITS!!!

On the road in Seattle, Zero QB hits and ZERO false starts!!!

If this OL can continue to gel, we're already a playoff team. As is and that's with Keenum as QB who I think everyone sees as the guy who should be our backup to whomever, be it Mannion or a drafted QB or a FA QB if they go that way (I still think Drew Brees might shake loose if Asshole Face is fired in NO)

This season showed that coaching mattered, although not all of that is on Cigs as Keenum got that concussion early and Cigs was forced to go back to Foles. Still, we see the improvement in Boras and here's the good news:

With Boras likely coming back as OC and the team almost certain to try to keep the D intact (keeping either of our corners may prove difficult now, dammit), with Gurley having more time to heal and rehab and strengthen his knee, with no new offense or defense being installed and a QB who at least can be Mr. Right Now even if he's not Mr. Right, this team looks FINALLY poised to make a run at the playoffs next year as well as winning the division.

The key will be how well the FO executes this off-season. Do we retain the right guys? Can we find a way to keep both JJ and Trujo? Can they find that right guy in FA like Fairley turned out to be?

If the FO executes this off-season as well as in seasons past, we're poised to make a deep playoff run next year.

I dunno about hope springing eternal, but I think the Rams just tapped a gusher...

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
The issues at QB are on Fisher if you ask me. Nick Foles wasn't forced on him. And he waited waaay too long to pull him. Ended up costing the season.

And every team has injuries - ask the Patriots who continue to win thanks to elite coaching - and let's not pretend like we were rolling when we were healthy. We have been .500 at best all year long.
Yeah, every team has injuries, but injuries on top of poor qb play? I can guarantee no playoff team has that. Maybe it can be put on Fisher, but in case you haven't noticed, getting a good qb is pretty damn hard. There are 32 teams in this league and maybe a third of their qbs good. I don't think anyone here thought Foles would be as bad as he has been. In fact, most believed at worst he would be a mediocre qb. Fisher has this team finishing strong and I still believe he's a good coach. We are close and changing the coaching staff could heave an unknown effect on this team, especially in an offseason where quality HC candidates will be limited.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yeah, every team has injuries, but injuries on top of poor qb play? I can guarantee no playoff team has that. Maybe it can be put on Fisher, but in case you haven't noticed, getting a good qb is pretty damn hard. There are 32 teams in this league and maybe a third of their qbs good. I don't think anyone here thought Foles would be as bad as he has been. In fact, most believed at worst he would be a mediocre qb. Fisher has this team finishing strong and I still believe he's a good coach. We are close and changing the coaching staff could heave an unknown effect on this team, especially in an offseason where quality HC candidates will be limited.

Many of us were big time Foles doubters from the start and we had a small fraction of the information that Fisher and co. had.

But not only did they make a bad trade, they double downed on it by extending him sight unseen - another move many of us here cried in opposition to.

So next year, we likely end up with a rookie QB or Mannion in his first year and Fisher will have another built in excuse for not making the playoffs.

What would be enough to fire him? How bad does he need to fail in order to lose his job?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tunnel vision?

Yes tunnel vision because you are only willing to look at his record as a whole. He started slow with the Oilers/Titans too, but then he got his team in place and started to have good results.

Do I blame him for not having a good option at QB by now? Sure I do. I argued that they should have taken Blake Bortles. Then they pass on Carr and Bridgewater? I thought it was stupid. Many fans didn't think it was necessary. So, Fisher held onto hope that Bradford would bounce back from his first ACL. If you recall Sam was playing well the season before the injury. I still would have played it safe and gotten a good starter option but it could be argued either way.

I am not sure what you see when you say that you see Fisher getting outcoached all of to often. I have seen it a few times. Not really that much. He is good with the clock and the challenges and if you mean scheme, that could be Williams fault, or formerly Schottenheimer's fault. I don't like the conservative approach on offense but there really isn't much to work with to get aggressive anyway.

In the end, I look at it like this. It is not my decision. It sounds like Fisher is sticking around. So try to see the positives. There have been positives this year. The Oline is progressing, the Defense is playing well and they won every game they played that they scored 19 points. It doesn't seem like the team is all that far away to me. Beating Seattle in Seattle is a great sign that this team is maturing and that they are ready to take the next step. Do I want them in the playoffs now? Sure I do. Do I think they should have benched Foles sooner? Yep. But coaches are human. I imagine they kept dreaming of Nick's 2013 performance and figure it has to show itself again soon. And Fisher did try to hire some proven OCs but for whatever reason they felt they had better options, like maybe other teams that had good QBs. This team is just like every other team in the NFL. Get a good QB and they will seem like a great team. It doesn't really matter who the coach is. Getting rid of Fisher and bringing in some unproven guy could cause our Free agents to leave, the defensive effort to falter, or even another 3-4 years of losing. I don't see that as a good option when it feels like the team is close right now under the current staff.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Fisher has thrown the challenge flag 78 times as a pro coach winning 29 of them.

For the Rams, he is 7 for 15.

What I will say for him is he has built a team that can play in the NFC West - but that seems to be all it can do - year after year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I also wonder if the mistake free football, on offense is a reflection of Boras coaching style. Some here claim he is very detailed and meticulous with coaching as a TEcoach. Maybe it is rubbing off.

Boras absolutely deserves credit for the mistake-free football we saw on Sunday, in one of the toughest venues to win, against a legit playoff defense.

Remember that under Schoddy this offense was terrible with mistakes regardless of whether Sam was healthy. There was always an aspect of the offense that would cost them on the rare big plays, and outside of that it was a whole bunch of poor offense. This stretch under Boras is the first time I can remember all 11 of these guys playing on the same sheet of music and each game they seem to settle in more in terms of what he has them doing.

I don't think Boras is going to get the Rams into elite offensive range or anything, but he does look like he's got what Fisher wants in terms of being able to field a balanced offense. IF they can come out and play well against SF with the same look and feel, it will be four games and wins in a row for the first time in Fisher's tenure here, and it will definitely mean Boras deserves the shot he's gonna get next year as OC. I almost hate to admit it simply because I fear next year it all comes back down to earth and we see it was fool's gold. I still prefer a more accomplished OC who has demonstrated that he can field a top passing attack and who can help the Rams develop that rookie QB they are gonna draft. But I gotta be fair to Boras: maybe he's the answer.

Gonna wait and see how this offense looks vs SF.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And QB play seems you left that out

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I believe the reason is the quarterback position. Find a decent NFL quarterback and we'll start winning more.
Exactly.....it's not hard to figure, just hard to find one...

I think everyone sees as the guy who should be our backup to whomever, be it Mannion or a drafted QB
And while I'm pulling for Goff or Cook in the draft, Mannion does have his benefits...
http://omg.buzzlie.com/nfl-rookies-with-smoking-hot-girlfriends/3/

NFL Rookies with Smoking Hot Girlfriends

Sean Mannion’s Megan Lopez

Source Source

Now that looks like one happy couple! St. Louis Rams’ QB Sean Mannion has a genuine smile on his face that says, “Man, I am living the life! I’m a football player, good looking, and I have a girlfriend that looks even better than I do!”

Megan is sure to be happy with Sean, as this picture clearly shows. For the record, she is better looking than he is, and I’m not saying that just because I’m straight. These two lovebirds are both extremely photogenic!