Fisher & Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
In his presser Fisher said that Wells noticed the play clock running down and knew the ball needed to be snapped to avoid a delay of game penalty. He started to snap the ball and then noticed Davis step aside to audible. He tried but was unable to pull the ball back. That was why it looked like he was snapping the ball as if Davis was under center.

Last edited:
In his presser Fisher said that Wells noticed the play clock running down and knew the ball needed to be snapped to avoid a delay of game penalty. He started to snap the ball and then noticed Davis step aside to audible. He tried but was unable to pull the ball back. That was why it looked like he was snapping the ball as if Davis was under center.

There were 8 seconds left on the play clock at the moment that he snapped it, so I'm not sure that washes.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Maybe Calvin Johnson makes that catch 1 in 10 times. No other WR Does. Quick was bracketed short and long and the back defenders had to leap to make the catch.

65 seconds w/ no time outs with the goal to get in FG range has been practices since OTAs. I am positive an outside deep jump ball into the teeth of the defensive was not the plan with that much time left. The plan was to send 2 receivers deep on each side and work another WR and or TE across the middle. My belief was he was supposed to go to one of the inside receivers or throw it away. He never looked inside and Quick was never open.

Personally thought it was one of the better game plan and play calling by this OC I have seen. He gave Davis alot of 1/3 to half field reads. He struggles with full field reads. That was a full field read. Davis did not get it right.

I disagree that it was uncatchable, and I've heard many another person, including IIRC Jim Thomas, believing that was catchable. If Quick had stayed full speed and timed his jump, it's a catch. It's not like he was throwing towards Richard Sherman. The way this team holds discipline if that pass gets completed in the middle goodbye 20 seconds.

65 secs with no TOs may be in practices, but it hasn't looked like it in any drive this year. I have no faith that we tie that game by dinking the middle.

He did call a good game.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Haven't had a chance to watch the game so I haven't seen the play yet but the quote is at 16:35 in his presser. Said their was a lot going on up front, changing protections at the line etc. and Wells felt the ball needed to be snapped.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Davis, in my opinion was at no fault here - we were 21pts up and we blew it - our D hasn't woken up yet - we're racking zero sacks which is sh*t, we're still getting penalised at every heartbeat, and as I've said on another thread somewhere, you gift them 100 yards + and you are giving the opposition 7 points...

Wells - our highly paid, pro-bowl veteran centre, screwed up. He was brought in to help out Bradford, because of his experience, surely he should be more helpful to the very green Davis.

Cook - our highly paid TE, screwed up. He dropped a ball in the end zone which cost us 4 points, and then showed himself up by shoving Davis on the sideline - I'd drop him and dock him for the next game.

Defence - so much for all the off-season hype, it's kinda embarrassing.

Coaching - I'm still very dubious about some of the play calling

Coach Fisher should get behind Davis and give him a confidence boost not openly blaming him.

IMO - Davis has added a spark to our offence - something I've not seen in a long while - and however good a back-up Hill has been, there isn't that spark of excitement to him.

So let the kid play, he will get intercepted - hey coach Fisher, every QB does ;)

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
If Davis was cut today he would be on another team tomorrow and pushing to be a starter as soon as he could learn the playbook.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I see alot of people trying to excuse Davis because "he's a rookie" and "rookie's make mistakes"..... so you are ok with him making mistakes that hinder the team's chance to win, BECAUSE he is a rookie. But have no faith that Hill, can do a better job simply because he is old? Not sure I follow that logic.

Everyone is so quick to pile on anyone and everyone but Davis, almost excusing his THREE interceptions, (two of them resulting in "pick 6's"), and wanting to throw guys like Wells under the bus, for making two bad snaps in back to back weeks. Funny, I wonder how many times that has happened to him in his career, PRIOR to playing with a rookie QB who seems to get distracted at crucial times. I don't remember it happening with Bradford or Clemons in the 2 previous seasons. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is the rookie QB.

Everyone loves to look at his stats and say he is playing so well. But there are plenty of things he is NOT doing that most of us don't see on the surface. Are they typical "rookie" mistakes? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, they are things that are contributing to the losses. I just don't understand why that gets written off, because he is a rookie. They have 13 games left in the season. The impatient fans who expect results, seem to be the same ones, who want to let the kid slide on the "rookie mistakes" because he's exciting. Just seems a little contradictory to me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If Davis was cut today he would be on another team tomorrow and pushing to be a starter as soon as he could learn the playbook.
and yet, he was a week away from being cut AGAIN this preseason prior to the Bradford injury, and not a single team would have claimed him. Just like last year. Oh, wait, Miami claimed him, then released him a week later.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I see alot of people trying to excuse Davis because "he's a rookie" and "rookie's make mistakes"..... so you are ok with him making mistakes that hinder the team's chance to win, BECAUSE he is a rookie. But have no faith that Hill, can do a better job simply because he is old? Not sure I follow that logic.

Everyone is so quick to pile on anyone and everyone but Davis, almost excusing his THREE interceptions, (two of them resulting in "pick 6's"), and wanting to throw guys like Wells under the bus, for making two bad snaps in back to back weeks. Funny, I wonder how many times that has happened to him in his career, PRIOR to playing with a rookie QB who seems to get distracted at crucial times. I don't remember it happening with Bradford or Clemons in the 2 previous seasons. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is the rookie QB.

Everyone loves to look at his stats and say he is playing so well. But there are plenty of things he is NOT doing that most of us don't see on the surface. Are they typical "rookie" mistakes? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, they are things that are contributing to the losses. I just don't understand why that gets written off, because he is a rookie. They have 13 games left in the season. The impatient fans who expect results, seem to be the same ones, who want to let the kid slide on the "rookie mistakes" because he's exciting. Just seems a little contradictory to me.

Agree completely Coach.

I would love nothing more than to see Davis develop into a good starting QB, but to look at some of the stats alone and ignore some of the bad throws and decisions is very shortsighted.

Shaun Hill's resume as a competent NFL QB extends beyond two games against bad defenses. If the coaching staff decides that Hill is the guy, that's good enough for me.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'd need to see the replay, but I want to say Davis lined up from the get-go in shotgun, not under center. Maybe there was a different play in the huddle, but like was stated, the QBs hands are pretty much pressed against the center's ass when you go under center. How you can't feel that on your ass is beyond me.
This, plus he should have looked for Davis before the snap!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Agree completely Coach.

I would love nothing more than to see Davis develop into a good starting QB, but to look at some of the stats alone and ignore some of the bad throws and decisions is very shortsighted.

Shaun Hill's resume as a competent NFL QB extends beyond two games against bad defenses. If the coaching staff decides that Hill is the guy, that's good enough for me.

I agree completely, Nothing would make me happier than to see Davis improve. The thing for me, is this team doesn't need a gunslinger at QB. They need someone who can take care of the football, and is composed for 4 quarters. And that composure includes PRIOR to the snap.

I have no false expectations of Shaun Hill being anything more than he is. But, that being said, to me, he has a better understanding of what this league will throw at you, and what defenses like SF, Seattle, Kansas City, Arizona, Denver will throw at him.

Lets face it, the Dallas and Tampa defenses aren't in the same zip code as these. Davis played well, better than I would have imagined after seeing what I have seen the past 3 camps. But, me personally, am not ready to say I think he has arrived.

Last edited:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I was never a fan of Davis that much and was very excited for Hill to start the season... now its kinda vice versa lol. The kid looked good and I think he deserves another shot.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Wells is a pro bowl center who has blown snaps in back to back games. I'm sorry but that's worse than rookie growing pains. I've no doubt he's throwing himself under the bus.

Before you dismiss me as a Davis apologist:) (is it too early to start up with the old Bulgerite stuff? Too soon?:whistle:)

He's had two big drives under pressure in back to back games and after costly mistakes. If anything that seems less distracted at crucial times. What else is he not doing? He's going thru his progressions, using the audible system, doesn't get locked on a single target, spreads the ball around. Mr Wonderful Crapperdink doesn't do these things. It took Bradford a couple years to pick that stuff up and some will argue that he never did (wrong). I know I didn't expect him or Shaun Hill to throw 4 TD passes in one game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wells is a pro bowl center who has blown snaps in back to back games. I'm sorry but that's worse than rookie growing pains. I've no doubt he's throwing himself under the bus.

Before you dismiss me as a Davis apologist:) (is it too early to start up with the old Bulgerite stuff? Too soon?:whistle:)

He's had two big drives under pressure in back to back games and after costly mistakes. If anything that seems less distracted at crucial times. What else is he not doing? He's going thru his progressions, using the audible system, doesn't get locked on a single target, spreads the ball around. Mr Wonderful Crapperdink doesn't do these things. It took Bradford a couple years to pick that stuff up and some will argue that he never did (wrong). I know I didn't expect him or Shaun Hill to throw 4 TD passes in one game.
4? you must be including the one to the Cowboys.

All I will say about the "bad snaps", things aren't always what they appear. And this is not coming from me.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
4? you must be including the one to the Cowboys.

All I will say about the "bad snaps", things aren't always what they appear. And this is not coming from me.

Yes for some reason I typed 4. And yes we're all aware of the pick 6. You said Davis was doing plenty of things wrong we don't see. What things? You said he's a gunslinger who's not composed prior to the snap. How are you getting this assessment when even out of town people are praising his composure? If these things are coming from somewhere else, then who? Look, I'm not against Hill by any means, but I think the Rams have about the same chance to win with either of them. So maybe we should at least consider using the guy who could help this team beyond this year.

Athos

Legend
I agree completely, Nothing would make me happier than to see Davis improve. The thing for me, is this team doesn't need a gunslinger at QB. They need someone who can take care of the football, and is composed for 4 quarters. And that composure includes PRIOR to the snap

The way this defense is playing, I'd say yea, we do need a QB to push it down field because it sure as hell seems like the D can't come up with stops or generate effective pass rush, regardless of holding.

so you are ok with him making mistakes that hinder the team's chance to win, BECAUSE he is a rookie

You keep focusing on the Davis supporters for wearing rose colored glasses regarding Davis and his mistakes. We are well aware and are most certainly not ok with them. But he looked leaps and bounds better than his 1st start. Also, what mistakes, sans the 4th quarter? 1st, 2nd, and most of the 3rd qtr I'd have to really nitpick to come away with rookie mistakes. He got us 14 points and kept Dallas' offense off the field in the first half.

Funny, I wonder how many times that has happened to him in his career, PRIOR to playing with a rookie QB who seems to get distracted at crucial times. I don't remember it happening with Bradford or Clemons in the 2 previous seasons. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is the rookie QB.

Or it's simple regression. Davis lined up in shotgun. Wells seemed not to know what the hell was going on. Everyone else seemed to however. The man hasn't been the pro-bowl C we hoped. That much is clear.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes for some reason I typed 4. And yes we're all aware of the pick 6. You said Davis was doing plenty of things wrong we don't see. What things? You said he's a gunslinger who's not composed prior to the snap. How are you getting this assessment when even out of town people are praising his composure? If these things are coming from somewhere else, then who? Look, I'm not against Hill by any means, but I think the Rams have about the same chance to win with either of them. So maybe we should at least consider using the guy who could help this team beyond this year.

I am not gonna go down that road again. Forget I even said anything. Go Rams!!! Austin Davis = Kurt Warner

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Fisher is beginning to lose me a bit. Unless I am missing something, the Offense is NOT at fault for Sunday's loss. Bad defense and coaching top that list.
Yes, were is the blame on his buddy Williams? Didn't Davis get us 24 plus points that game ? The D got us 7. Blew a 4th down! could have been 3. Cook dropped a TD

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I thought Fisher said that 'butt fumble' was "All on Scott". Young QB's are going to make mistakes. But the dude is leading the league in completion percentage. And they are not all just dinks and dunks. He's going down the field and making plays. In my opinion, it's idiotic at this point to start Hill over Davis. Davis has obviously proven he can win and put this team in a position to win. Hill hasn't.
Yes