Fisher, Cignetti support Bradford/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher, Cignetti support Bradford
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d8c2575f-309f-53c4-b43d-2696a956ba6c.html

One of the most noteworthy things to come out of Friday’s introductory press conference for new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti was how strongly both Cignetti and coach Jeff Fisher came out in support of quarterback Sam Bradford.

Based on what was said Friday, there appears to be little doubt that Bradford will be with the team next season — and be the starter.

One exchange was particularly telling during the 20-minute session at Rams Park. When asked if Bradford was kept in the loop during the process of hiring an offensive coordinator, Fisher replied:

“I had a lengthy discussion with Sam, yes, prior to making the decision. It was part of the information gathering process. Sam was very forthcoming. He had some firm opinions. I really enjoyed and appreciated his input.”

So would Cignetti have been promoted to coordinator (after three seasons as QB coach) if Bradford had voiced objections?

“We wouldn’t be sitting here right now,” Fisher replied.

“As it should be,” Cignetti chimed in.

If you were seriously considering trading Bradford, or even releasing him, none of that probably would’ve taken place.

So the Rams definitely want him back in ’15?

“That’s correct, yes,” Fisher said. “He’s been in the building since the season ended. He’s doing well.”

Fisher even backed down from his end-of-the-season comment that there will be competition for Bradford on the roster next season, competition that’s currently “not in the building.” The plan still calls for at least one new face on the quarterback depth chart in 2015, but on Friday having competition became having options.

Here’s what Fisher had to say Friday when asked about bringing in an outside QB.

“It’s not as much from the standpoint of challenging Sam,” Fisher said. “It’s to have options. We don’t know what that looks like right now. We don’t know if that’s draft, if that’s free agency, or what that looks like. But when we line up in September, we’ll have somebody there.”

Fisher’s altered stance may be partly to do with the fact that the free-agent market is lean, there don’t seem to be many concrete trade options developing, and the 2015 draft is neither deep nor strong at the position.

(Sunday’s Post-Dispatch will explore the free-agent and trade markets at quarterback.)

Continuity and stability on the offense were cited by Fisher as one of the main reasons he chose to promote from within at coordinator, selecting Cignetti in a close call over tight ends coach Rob Boras for the job. In the end, Boras was promoted to assistant head coach/offense while still maintaining his duties as tight ends coach.

“Same system for Sam, same system for the rest of his teammates,” Fisher said. “That was very, very important, and it was about how we get better. How we become more productive.”

All told, Bradford’s name came up a half-dozen times at the press conference, often without prompting by media members.

“We’re looking forward to Sam moving forward,” Cignetti said. “He’s doing a great job in his rehabilitation. When you go back to last year, he had an outstanding offseason. He had a great training camp. Unfortunately, in Cleveland he got injured. Moving forward, getting Sam back healthy again will greatly increase our chances of winning.”

The team remains optimistic that it can restructure Bradford’s contract for 2015 — the final year of his original deal — in a way that is more cap friendly.

When the Rams get on the field for spring practices, Bradford and the rest of the squad will find some changes in approach and playbook compared to how things were done for three seasons under Cignetti predecessor Brian Schottenheimer.

For one, the playbook will be simplified. There will be less volume than was the case under Schottenheimer, who left in January to become OC for the Georgia Bulldogs.

In discussing changes being made on offense, Fisher said: “We need to reduce the amount of information that we’re giving to the players, and go out and execute.”

So was there too much volume in the playbook previously?

“I think we agreed that there was at times,” Fisher replied. “I’m confident that our system will be such in April ... that it will be simplified but appear to be much more complex.”

As a rookie in 2013, wide receiver Tavon Austin remarked that the playbook was like Spanish to him. By minimizing terminology in the playbook, Cignetti hopes for better results.

“The foundation of the playbook’s the same,” Cignetti said. “Coach Schottenheimer’s put a terrific system in place here, the same system I was part of when I was with the San Francisco 49ers (as QB coach in 2007).”

But Cignetti added: “Whether Coach Schottenheimer was still here or whether it was myself leading, every year you look at ways of doing things better. Something that we talked about was how could we minimize terminology? There’s certain things that we did in my past that we’ll be able to minimize terminology.”

Another change from Schottenheimer’s tenure is that Cignetti — as coordinator — won’t be as hands-on with the team’s quarterbacks.

“I’m not going to be as involved with the quarterback as much as Coach Schottenhiemer was involved,” Cignetti said. “That would probably be the biggest difference (in approach).”

Fisher added: “Frank’s going to allow the quarterback coach to spend more time with (the QBs) in the meetings and on the field, which will be a little different than how it has been in the past.”

Fisher confirmed that he interviewed Jeff Garcia for the quarterbacks coach job on Thursday and Friday. Fisher said he has at least one other candidate in mind for Cignetti’s old job, but didn’t give a definite timetable on when that position would be filled.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, there you have it folks. I sure don't smell smoke from a smoke-screen either. Fisher is stating what many of us are saying, there just aren't any other options out there in FA or the draft that are better (or even equal) to Bradford. Here's hoping for a speed recovery (and some HGH!!).

FRO

Legend
At the end of year press conference I thought they were going to get someone to compete for the starting job. Now it sounds like they are going to improve the backup spot. Makes sense because a better QB than Bradford isn't out there to be had. If the guy just stays healthy we have a top 10/15 QB out there. That would greatly improve our offense.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sanchez could be coming to town. It doesn't excite me but not much else out there unless somebody like Grayson or Petty slip to the 5th round. Bradford just has to be ready.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the same system Cignetti used in 2007 with San Fran? Is that supposed to be comforting considering they finished last in scoring in the league at 13.7 per game? Ugh.
Fisher is going boom or bust with Bradford and why not? It's his last year unless there's big improvement

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Well, there you have it folks. I sure don't smell smoke from a smoke-screen either. Fisher is stating what many of us are saying, there just aren't any other options out there in FA or the draft that are better (or even equal) to Bradford. Here's hoping for a speed recovery (and some HGH!!).
I hear breast milk works wonders. all natural HGH ;)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Little doubt of Rams' plan for Sam Bradford
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16226/little-doubt-of-rams-plan-for-sam-bradford

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The purpose of the St. Louis Rams' Friday news conference was to introduce Frank Cignetti as the new offensive coordinator. It's a mission they accomplished, but it was also old news.

The underlying theme of the press conference featuring Cignetti and coach Jeff Fisher offered a further affirmation of some other old news: That the Rams have every intention of bringing quarterback Sam Bradford back in 2015. And, so long as Bradford is healthy, he'll almost certainly be the starter.

Throughout the nearly 22-minute press conference, Bradford's name came up again and again, sometimes by way of a question, sometimes without prompting. Perhaps most telling of all was this response from Fisher when he was asked what input Cignetti would have on the team's offseason search for help at quarterback.

"He’ll have significant input on that," Fisher said. "As I mentioned, that most likely is going to happen. It’s not as much from the standpoint of challenging Sam; it’s to have options. We don’t know what that looks like right now. We don’t know if that’s draft, free agency or what that looks like. But, when we line up in September, we’ll have somebody there.”

Barring a major turn of events, that somebody will be Bradford. Given the dearth of legitimate and realistic outside quarterback options that figure to be available to the Rams this offseason, that should be no surprise. But Fisher's comment about having options and not so much of a focus on "challenging" Bradford represents something of a step backward from his comments in his end-of-the-season news conference.

"There's going to be competition at the quarterback position, there's no doubt," Fisher said then. "With somebody that is not in the building right now. We're hopeful for that. You have to be realistic but I think we need to do that. Sam understands that. He doesn't have any problem with competition. He's been competing his whole life."

It's no secret that the Rams would like to bring Bradford back. They have never wavered from that, though they have also been open about their desire to bring him back at a cap number below his current $16.58 million with a base salary reduced from the $12.985 million he's scheduled to get in 2015. For the record, there hasn't been much movement on that front yet but things could heat up soon, perhaps at next week's NFL scouting combine, when agents and teams converge on Indianapolis.

In the meantime, everything the Rams have done this offseason point toward Bradford remaining in St. Louis. That starts with moving Cignetti into the offensive coordinator job.

Cignetti has been Bradford's position coach for the past three years and offers an easy and smooth transition for Bradford in a system that will remain mostly the same, with Cignetti in Brian Schottenheimer's former role.

"Continuity, stability, same system for Sam, same system for the rest of his teammates was very, very important and it was about how we get better," Fisher said.

Even before elevating Cignetti from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator, Fisher said he had a long conversation with Bradford about Cignetti and who he'd like to see in the coordinator role.

“I had a lengthy discussion with Sam, yes, prior to making the decision," Fisher said. "It was part of the information-gathering process. Sam was very forthcoming. He had some firm opinions. I really enjoyed and appreciated his input.”

Asked if Cignetti would have gotten the job if Bradford didn't provide positive feedback, Fisher offered another not-so-subtle clue about where Bradford stands.

"We wouldn’t be sitting here right now,” Fisher said.

For his part, Cignetti also provided little room for error in describing his view of the position moving forward.

"We’re looking forward to Sam moving forward," Cignetti said. "He’s doing a great job in his rehabilitation. When you go back last year, he had an outstanding offseason. He had a great training camp. Unfortunately, in Cleveland he got injured. Moving forward, getting Sam back healthy will greatly increase our chances of winning.”

According to Fisher, Bradford is making progress on his road to recovery from a second ACL tear in as many seasons and has been at Rams Park every day since the end of the season. If the Rams get their way, that's a habit that won't be changing anytime soon.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

That's the problem aint it. I'm all for bringing in "competition" for him - but who's gonna outcompete him? A Rod? Peyton, Wilson, Romo. Matty Ice, Brady, Roethlisberger and Brees. That's about it. They're all starters elsewhere so its not really gonna happen.

Athos

Legend
At the end of year press conference I thought they were going to get someone to compete for the starting job. Now it sounds like they are going to improve the backup spot. Makes sense because a better QB than Bradford isn't out there to be had. If the guy just stays healthy we have a top 10/15 QB out there. That would greatly improve our offense.

Problem is, there's no real backup better than what Hill provided, and if there was, that QB wouldn't be a backup.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's the same system Cignetti used in 2007 with San Fran? Is that supposed to be comforting considering they finished last in scoring in the league at 13.7 per game? Ugh.
Fisher is going boom or bust with Bradford and why not? It's his last year unless there's big improvement

With everything else going on, I can see Fisher getting a pass. If fans believe the Rams are a lame duck team in St. louis, I don't see attendance being very good. Bad attendance, distractions about the impending move could affect the team. If that all happens, I could see him getting a pass in 2015 from Kroenke and focusing on 2016 in LA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Well to be fair he was just the QB coach there that season, and it's not like that position can be blamed for the woes of their offense that year. Hostler was horrible. Couldn't figure out how to use Gore, who had been just fine in 2006 and was fine after Hostler was fired following one season as OC. Garbage.

I get folks being negative about Cigs' prospects of being an elite OC. But if you look at his history as OC in the collegiate ranks he does have some promise, dude has a chance which is more than I can say of Schotty.

Lastly, I find it interesting that Fish has said the offense was too complicated and that they want to tone down the verbiage while making it look more complex which I take as meaning harder for the defense to defend schematically. The offense Schotty runs is the Coryell with adjustments to the verbiage made by himself. So same offense, but simpler verbiage. Harder to defend schematically. Not too hard to read between the lines there IMO, just have to look at it honestly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well to be fair he was just the QB coach there that season, and it's not like that position can be blamed for the woes of their offense that year. Hostler was horrible. Couldn't figure out how to use Gore, who had been just fine in 2006 and was fine after Hostler was fired following one season as OC. Garbage.

I wasn't blaming Cig for that offense. Not at all.
But for a guy to reference a previous system, I don't find it comforting that the offense was horrible.
But what can you do. McCarthy was awful too and then got the Packers job

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Actually, he was saying it was the same system schotty used last season. Then he referenced the Whiners.

His job is to make the players execute better. And that depends on sam being healthy. No offense is going anywhere with career backups behind Centre.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I listened to it, and read it again. I don't think Fisher backed down from anything. The plan is the same. They want Sam back, and they want different(better) options as a plan B.

No way they're going to roll with Sam, Shaun and Austin again in 2015.

FrankenRam

Starter

I kinda doubt Fisher's in much hot water......with Kroenke. Did he not get a 5 yr contract when he initially signed.(?) Unless the Rams just fall totally flat on their face this year....4 wins or less (MAYBE 5), I'd bet he'll be back for at least that 5th yr. And very possibly longer if the relocation thing occurs.

And I say that primarily from looking at Kroenke's other sports team holdings. None of them have been anything special...they've had good yrs here and there, but a fair amount of mediocrity as well. And there doesn't seem to have been any coaching carousels occurring in any of them. When you get down to it, I have begun to have serious doubts about Silent Stan's desire to win, and am beginning to believe he is ALL about the $$. As long as a team is good and makes the playoffs every now and then, it will probably keep the fanbase sufficiently engaged to make the team profitable. And I think that's all SK cares about.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With everything else going on, I can see Fisher getting a pass. If fans believe the Rams are a lame duck team in St. louis, I don't see attendance being very good. Bad attendance, distractions about the impending move could affect the team. If that all happens, I could see him getting a pass in 2015 from Kroenke and
I kinda doubt Fisher's in much hot water......with Kroenke. Did he not get a 5 yr contract when he initially signed.(?) Unless the Rams just fall totally flat on their face this year....4 wins or less (MAYBE 5), I'd bet he'll be back for at least that 5th yr. And very possibly longer if the relocation thing occurs.

And I say that primarily from looking at Kroenke's other sports team holdings. None of them have been anything special...they've had good yrs here and there, but a fair amount of mediocrity as well. And there doesn't seem to have been any coaching carousels occurring in any of them. When you get down to it, I have begun to have serious doubts about Silent Stan's desire to win, and am beginning to believe he is ALL about the $$. As long as a team is good and makes the playoffs every now and then, it will probably keep the fanbase sufficiently engaged to make the team profitable. And I think that's all SK cares about.
he fired George Karl after he won coach of the year and 50+ games 5 out of 6 years.
If kroenke pulls off the La deal it's gonna cost him a fortune. And I'm sure he's want to open with a splash.
Plus, NFL teams rarely let their hc coach the last year of their contract. Typically they extend them before final year.