Fisher and Staff Getting Extensions?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh, still doesn't change the thought of not wanting your team to have a good year. Cutting off your nose to spite your face or whatever metaphor you choose.

Has the team done pretty well with him leading them?
Any problems in the locker room with guys throwing him under the bus?
Are they still improving? Yes
Who is the better choice than Fisher who is available? No one.

I don't look at the team in a vacuum of wins and losses there is a hell of a lot more to it and now that this team has a good base and will have a great new stadium with a fresh start in LA Fisher and this crew deserve a chance to reap the rewards.

You don't think it would be a little frustrating having a team that you know can make the playoffs, more often than not, end up being a middling at best team? That's the nightmare scenario. Knowing that you are actively wasting talent and potential for a sub-par product.

Not saying that that is what Fisher will always deliver. Maybe he finally defies the narrative of his career up to this point. That said, based on recent and historic results under Fisher, it's a very likely possibility that Fisher could squander all this talent and the team ends up being average at best and continually picking in the first half of the draft.

I want the team to be successful, but I would like for that success to come with the possibility of it being sustained. Having a coach get you to the playoffs once every 3--4 years and then having the team become mediocre the rest of the time doesn't seem at all painful to you? Then you got to keep said coach because of that one good year so then he just becomes one of the longest tenured coaches despite the inability to take the team to that next level.

Fisher was the Titans coach for 15 years with 6 playoff trips and 3 of those were one and dones. Then there are all the losing and .500 seasons in there. 15 years of that is a little scary.

I'm not necessarily looking at it "in a vacuum" like you say. I'm not wishing failure on Fisher. If Fisher leads this team to a winning record and this year, he will have my support (I'll still be a bit reserved). Then if he leads the team to another one then I will support him more strongly. I would like consistent winning records. Good coaches get fired for less in this league.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Know what your last sentence reminded me of, A.J?

This...

'Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play"?

C'mon, man...

"Certainly enjoying it a lot more than the last few 'plays' over the years" -Mrs. Lincoln.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I haven't read most of the responses, yet.

Thoughts...

Fisher's offenses have frustrated me... But, if he can figure that out, I'm sold. He knows defense. He's a good leader of men.

He needs to concede his lack of success and turn loose a guy to fix his offense.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
What I see:
  • Back to back Rookies of the Year.
  • Young ascending team. After 4 years still the youngest team in the league (pending FA).
  • Our players are in demand. When was the last time that has happened? This tells me Fisher and Snead are drafting great. We can't let our FAs leave. You don't draft and develop only for them to leave when they are hitting their prime.
  • Unlucky circumstances involving QB.

So as far as Fish getting an extension.
gFwZfXIqD0eNW.gif

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You don't think it would be a little frustrating having a team that you know can make the playoffs, more often than not, end up being a middling at best team? That's the nightmare scenario. Knowing that you are actively wasting talent and potential for a sub-par product.

Not saying that that is what Fisher will always deliver. Maybe he finally defies the narrative of his career up to this point. That said, based on recent and historic results under Fisher, it's a very likely possibility that Fisher could squander all this talent and the team ends up being average at best and continually picking in the first half of the draft.

I want the team to be successful, but I would like for that success to come with the possibility of it being sustained. Having a coach get you to the playoffs once every 3--4 years and then having the team become mediocre the rest of the time doesn't seem at all painful to you? Then you got to keep said coach because of that one good year so then he just becomes one of the longest tenured coaches despite the inability to take the team to that next level.

Fisher was the Titans coach for 15 years with 6 playoff trips and 3 of those were one and dones. Then there are all the losing and .500 seasons in there. 15 years of that is a little scary.

I'm not necessarily looking at it "in a vacuum" like you say. I'm not wishing failure on Fisher. If Fisher leads this team to a winning record and this year, he will have my support (I'll still be a bit reserved). Then if he leads the team to another one then I will support him more strongly. I would like consistent winning records. Good coaches get fired for less in this league.
I think you are putting too much of the credit or failure maybe on the coach. A coach who by all accounts is well respected throughout the league and like by his players. He is not on the field and can't do any ore than prepare them each week to compete. After that it is on the players to get it done.

I have been a fan long enough to have lived through the best of times and the worst stretch in NFL history. I live and die with them every week, it would not surprise me that I will have a heart attack at some point while watching a game. I do not believe there is a team out there who has been driven to championship merely by having a certain coach. Fisher has what it takes to get the team into and through the playoffs. But it will be lucky, injury free players in a given year or window that get it done. Not the head coach, not the front office and not the owner, they are the supporting cast.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN NFL analyst Damien Woody, along with Russillo & Kanell, share their thoughts on the Rams and coach Jeff Fisher discussing a contract extension, as well as the state of coaching in the NFL. (1:47)

Watch Woody Talk Fisher

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it took fisher 5 years to turn the oilers into a playoff team. i'll dismiss his interim year. 7 and 9, 8 and 8, 8 and 8, 8 and 8, 13 and 3. funnily enough the same year they changed to become the titans. this year the rams became the la rams. history may repeat itself. of course he had steve mcnair coming into his own at tennessee. now he has foles :puke: and keenum :thinking:.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm OK with the move. as long as he does something to get a Good QB!