Fisher and Staff Getting Extensions?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Big Fisher Fan here. He's the reason we aren't the laughing stock of the NFL anymore. Ignoring the massive rebuild project and total culture change he's been able to accomplish so far is just that... take the blinders off.

It's very refreshing for me to see the decision makers and ownership not go into full panic mode like the piss poor franchises (browns for example).

We are in good hands.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Rotoworld said:
Rotoworld gives it's 2 cents worth.

Jeff Fisher - DT - Rams

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner reports the team is "engaged in talks" with contract-year coach Jeff Fisher and his assistants about extensions.

Only the Rams. Fisher is the epitome of average. He's done very little to boost the Rams since he was hired ahead of the 2012 season, and the team's record has actually been getting worse year by year. Fisher seems ignorant to the fact that he needs a real quarterback, not some "game manager" like Nick Foles and Case Keenum. Anything besides a one-year "extension" that keeps Fisher from being a lame duck in 2016 would be a big disappointment for Rams fans.

Well, that's one take on it -- to which I call bullshit.

Here's a more realistic take on it, from ProFootballTalk:

The Los Angeles Rams are discussing a contract extension with head coach Jeff Fisher and his coaching staff, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com.

Fisher, 58, is entering the final year of his contract with the team. Teams typically do not like having their coaching staffs with just one year left on their deals. It creates a sense of “lame duck” status with the appearance of a lack of faith in the coaching staff.

The Rams have never won more than seven games in Jeff Fisher’s four seasons as head coach. They’ve finished 7-9 three times and 6-11 once in Fisher’s tenure. A Fisher-led team has not finished above .500 since the Tennessee Titans won 13 games in 2008.

However, Fisher does appear to be the right person to ease the team’s transition to Southern California. He grew up in Woodland Hills and played at USC, where the Rams will likely be playing their games for the next few years until Stan Kroenke’s new NFL place in Inglewood opens.

But just because the Rams are looking to extend Fisher’s contract doesn’t mean they couldn’t change course after a disappointing first year in Los Angeles. Rex Ryan was given a similar extension with the New York Jets prior to the 2014 season before being fired after a 4-12 campaign.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd feel better about it if I saw Fisher making some more changes himself.

Getting off of the comp committee is a good start. How about designating a different coach to handle challenge decisions? Fish, you kind of stink at that part of the game management.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm finding the negativity about this comical.
Did people think he was going to get replaced before the draft?
Just silly. Whatever extension he gets is merely to prevent the lame duck status. The sooner they do it, it helps in stability in signing their own FA and aids in recruiting available FA.
But no matter what the terminology is, if Fisher doesn't win this year, he's gone.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coaches rarely go into the last year of their contract, so this is a non-issue.
Rex Ryan got an extension in 2014, and was fired in 2015.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think most of us knew as soon as the move was made official that Fisher was pretty much given a free ride through the end of the relocation process. Looking back at how much the Rams lied about staying in the Lou I think Fisher has pretty much had a free ride and knew he was having a free ride for most of his stay so far and through the next few years. Maybe that'll be a good thing in the long run. Hopefully they don't open up that nice, new $2.5 billion stadium with the most average team in America still.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just out of curiosity, who else did you all have in mind?

The complainers just want to complain. Don't look at the circumstance or the POS roster that was here when he was hired. Don't understand how the losing environment keeps players away. Don't understand how a coach with only a year left can't attract talent. Don't give them credit for missing a third of their defensive starters but still managed to be playing for 8-8 the final game on the raod against a division rival. Forgot about losing Bradford for a season and 9 games but still expect double digit wins.

And the biggest thing the complainers fail to understand, the players love Fisher and want to play hard for him regardless of the situation or record.

Only thing that could be better about this is if the contract goes until after they move in to the new stadium.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I love seeing mediocrity rewarded. Yay.
fishfinger.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Big Fisher Fan here. He's the reason we aren't the laughing stock of the NFL anymore. Ignoring the massive rebuild project and total culture change he's been able to accomplish so far is just that... take the blinders off.

It's very refreshing for me to see the decision makers and ownership not go into full panic mode like the pee pee poor franchises (browns for example).

We are in good hands.

Agreed!!!

This team was flat on it's back when Fisher and Snead showed up and the amount of work that has been done is pretty impressive.

His record with 2nd and 3rd string QB's in the last 3 years is nothing to take lightly, very, very few guys could have won at that clip.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The complainers just want to complain.

I can understand the complaining from some fans though.

But some forget were this team was when Fisher/Snead first took over. From the downhill slide of Mike Martz, through Linehan and Spagnuolo, the Rams had entered Browns, dumpster fire, and SOSAR territory. Fisher and his crew took us back to being a team that no one wants to play because at the very least they will get punched in the mouth and often.

Will the Fisher regime ever get us past where we are now? Or will we be a perennial 7-9 to 9-7 team as his long record indicates? It would be a pleasant surprise if the Rams exceed our expectations under Fisher/Snead.

Fans want to get into playoff territory and some, including yours truly, have doubts that will happen with Jeff Fisher.

Still, the players seem to love playing for the man, and he apparently has the owner's confidence. So we shall see. At the least it will be a fascinating journey to see what will happen.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

:rolllaugh:I'm still laughing.

We live in Twitter World. The children are in charge (sometimes of entire countries.)

Keep flipping them off, Fish. Let the yappers keep tossing their chum into the waters. It's time to cancel the kid's allowance and send them out into the yard to pick weeds.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
He and Les find a QB this off-season and give into some of Groh's concepts we'll all be singing praises.

Fish has done very well in every category except for finding a QB and an offensive coordinator.

Know what your last sentence reminded me of, A.J?

This...

'Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play"?

C'mon, man...

RamBill

Legend
Kelvin and Travis of ESPNLA examine the various coaching options the Rams could have taken aside from Jeff Fisher and explain which quarterback would be a perfect fit for the team.

Listen to Fisher Discussion

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kind of fan doesn't want their team to have a good year?

You kind of cut out the rest where I mention that said good season would only be an outlier and followed up with the more common Fisher standard of mediocre records.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You kind of cut out the rest where I mention that said good season would only be an outlier and followed up with the more common Fisher standard of mediocre records.
Meh, still doesn't change the thought of not wanting your team to have a good year. Cutting off your nose to spite your face or whatever metaphor you choose.

Has the team done pretty well with him leading them?
Any problems in the locker room with guys throwing him under the bus?
Are they still improving? Yes
Who is the better choice than Fisher who is available? No one.

I don't look at the team in a vacuum of wins and losses there is a hell of a lot more to it and now that this team has a good base and will have a great new stadium with a fresh start in LA Fisher and this crew deserve a chance to reap the rewards.