"Find me a right tackle that's playing as good as him so far..."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
They really have played very well. Great job by the Ram's brass for understanding what they had. Most of us were shocked that a Center wasn't drafted.
I for one was surely shocked. I was looking at another lost season. But three things have plugged that massive hole in the middle of the line:
1. Carberry hire - has to have helped Allen develop into a quality C
2. Allen - worked at getting better technique, he already had the athleticism
3. Stafford - calls out the OL protections, instead of foisting that load of responsibility on the C. Goff just wasn't that great at it; his best season was when we had Sullivan at C, who was very experienced at calling out protections. A QB calling protections allows you to the freedom of getting more athleticism at the C position.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I for one was surely shocked. I was looking at another lost season. But three things have plugged that massive hole in the middle of the line:
1. Carberry hire - has to have helped Allen develop into a quality C
2. Allen - worked at getting better technique, he already had the athleticism
3. Stafford - calls out the OL protections, instead of foisting that load of responsibility on the C. Goff just wasn't that great at it; his best season was when we had Sullivan at C, who was very experienced at calling out protections. A QB calling protections allows you to the freedom of getting more athleticism at the C position.
Additionally, props should be given to Big Whit for bringing them together at his house, and Tommy Costello - their personal trainer.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTu9dMpBV74/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rob Havenstein has had at times serious problems since he arrived in the NFL in 2015 with smaller quicker 34 D type pass rushers& yes that continued right into the playoffs against the Packers last season. You can not deny that.

Turn page.......Going into 2022 UFA'cy/OTA/Draft this Ram organization has been able to collect & train solid OT reserves like Bobby Evans selected in the 3rd rd in 2019 draft, Joe Noteboom selected in the 3rd rd 2018 draft, David Edwards 5th rd 2019 draft, Chandler Brewer UDFA 2019, Tremayne Anchrym 7th rd 2020, Alaric Jackson UDFA 2021 & Max Pircher UDFA 2021. Talk about a truckload of re-enforcements to play RT for the LA Rams.

It should be made very clear here that Hav has never been placed on the IR for any injury but has been shelved for a period of about half a season over an injured knee & then a more serious aggravation to that knee the same season. Hav stood ready to continue to play through pain if that was required. Bobby Evans was able to service the RT position in 2019.

All Hav has done is what this organization has asked of him. Hav signed a more than generous 4 year $32.5 million contract extension to start @ RT in August of 2018. In April of 2020 Converted $2.34M of 2020 salary into a bonus, clearing $1.56M of cap space to help this team. 3 days ago Hav converted $3.84M of 2021 salary into a bonus. clearing $3.072M of cap space. Havenstein is now our best-performing OL'er on this team.

Kromer :weary:was just NOT able to move Hav past a certain point in his technical training to attack, cease & correct Hav's big issues of those smaller tweener pass rushers like Denver's Miller. Kromer is now departed & Carberry :blub::bullseye::check::fire1:has been in control since OTA's. Shall I say that whatever was an often seen problem with those smaller speed rushers has not been evident thus far in 2022.

This is a very special person player & man that the Ram has in Rob Havenstein. We are very fortunate to have such a team player like him.:clap:

Last edited:

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
I think I’ve told this story before, but my cousin has been married to Dante Scarneccia almost 50 years. For those that don’t know, Dante was an assistant coach, and for half a season head coach of the Patriots for almost 40 years, most of that time as O-line coach. He is very well respected around the league.

Anyway he retired for one year, the year we drafted Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein. That summer I had him out on my driftboat fishing up here in Montana. He was retired but Bill had him scout and rank all the O-line prospects out of college. I asked him about our two. He kind of changed the subject on Robinson, didn’t answer the question, but with Havenstein he said we had our right tackle for the next ten years. He also said he was only a right tackle, couldn’t play any other position on the line, but would excel at right tackle. I’ve never forgotten that, seems like he was right.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Something I’ve noticed about Hav this year.

He is now so quick off the snap that I sometimes fear that he will be flagged for a false start. I’m serious.

I’m assuming that this is a Carberry influenced thing, but it has definitely upped Hav’s game and the speed rushers are now struggling against him instead of the other way around.

Kudos to both Hav and Carberry.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently, Sean sees it the way I do.
Anything else you can help Seany out with that he hasn't seen your way on yet?

Its so unusual to see fans post stuff like this. Usually it's 'I'm so glad Sean didn't consult me because I got this horribly wrong and I'm such a fucking idiot'

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think I’ve told this story before, but my cousin has been married to Dante Scarneccia almost 50 years. For those that don’t know, Dante was an assistant coach, and for half a season head coach of the Patriots for almost 40 years, most of that time as O-line coach. He is very well respected around the league.

Anyway he retired for one year, the year we drafted Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein. That summer I had him out on my driftboat fishing up here in Montana. He was retired but Bill had him scout and rank all the O-line prospects out of college. I asked him about our two. He kind of changed the subject on Robinson, didn’t answer the question, but with Havenstein he said we had our right tackle for the next ten years. He also said he was only a right tackle, couldn’t play any other position on the line, but would excel at right tackle. I’ve never forgotten that, seems like he was right.
What’s up there Big Sky brother!? Aren’t many of us up here.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was among those favoring a Hav trade.

But I was obviously wrong. Hav is enjoying a solid season and I’m glad that the Rams are smarter on these matters than I am.

Every year can be a different year when it comes to judging some players. Havenstein, a couple years ago following being extended, was struggling at RT, had a fairly high CAP # and was injured for almost half the season, the Rams also had other needs. Magically, some 3'rd round rookie draft pick named Bobby Evans stepped in and for several games made everyone forget about Havenstein. Many, many posters here wondered why we were paying Hav when the future was declaring himself at RT.
Of course, Hav turned things around and had a much stronger 2020/21 while Evans fell into obscurity.

RamWoodie

Legend
Always been a Hav fan...FROM DAY ONE!!!

Even a couple of years ago when Hav had some struggles...because all players can have periods where they struggle. The question becomes how do they come out of those times.

That is all...

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anything else you can help Seany out with that he hasn't seen your way on yet?

Its so unusual to see fans post stuff like this. Usually it's 'I'm so glad Sean didn't consult me because I got this horribly wrong and I'm such a fucking idiot'
Wow. All I did was expect greatness by Havs and posted what McVay said about him 7 weeks into the season. I don't possess the hubris to think I know better than a professional coach. I'm just a fan with opinions and I disagreed with a few who thought Big Rob was a liability. Who better than the HC to confirm my expectations were reasonable?

But to your point, I clamored for us to draft OL with the Atwell pick. I wasn't alone. The jury is still out about that pick but I still think Creed would've been better depth than Tutu.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Every year can be a different year when it comes to judging some players. .
Amen to that brother. Nick Scott is a perfect example of this. Seemed like an ascending player at safety and isn't delivering the promise from last year. If he was, he would have already taken over for Rapp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was among those favoring a Hav trade.

But I was obviously wrong. Hav is enjoying a solid season and I’m glad that the Rams are smarter on these matters than I am.

While I’m at it I think Carberry was a HR hire. This entire OL is kicking butt and without using a single draft pick this year.
Lot of us thought a Hav trade was a possibility. But to be fair the guy we saw last year was not nearly as good as the guy we are seeing this year. This guy is outplaying his contract and you don't move a guy who is outplaying his contract. You move the guy who is playing at or below his contract when you need more cap space for difference makers.

So it's not like there was some anti-Hav movement. Far from it. Just fans talking ball about what was possible.

And nobody is happier than I am to see him playing this well. Same goes for Allen btw. All these guys are playing lights out. Carberry is off to a kickass start as well when you consider the OL play as a whole, maybe tailing back all that crosstraining BS has helped these guys focus in on what matters but either way we are seeing Carberry's impact in how they're playing.