Final Cut predictions?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Now that the first wave of cuts has happened...who gets cut this weekend?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
First time I've done this, and I need a refresher course on how this works. If we start someone on IR, they are lost for the year? Is that right? I'm struggling around the edges with folks like Barrett Jones and Tru Johnson and the implications if they are not on the 53.

~~~

Here's my list of cuts or IRs (including some already done)

Rhaney, DemetriusC
Roberson, MarcusCB
Woodard, DarrenCB
Cunningham, AveryDB
Reid, GregDB
Brown, KourtneiDE
Carrington, AlexDE (yep, I went there)
Conrath, MattDT
Harlan, DeantreDT
Washington, BrandonG
Jones, BarrettG/C (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
Brown, SammyLB (IR settlement)
Hill, AaronLB
Wilson, LawrenceLB
Sabino, EtienneOLB
Bradford, SamQB (IR for year)
Pead, IsaiahRB
Watts, TreyRB
Daniels, MattS
Hooey, SeanT
Van Dyk, MitchellT
Cunningham, JusticeTE
Smelley, BradTE
Bailey, StedmanWR (suspended for 4)
Blake, EmoryWR
Franklin, AustinWR
Veltung, JustinWR

Which would mean this is my 53

1Barnes, TimC
2Wells, ScottC
3Gaines, E.J.CB
4Jenkins, JanorisCB
5Joyner, LamarcusDB
6Johnson, TrumaineCB (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
7McGee, BrandonDB
8Hayes, WilliamDE (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
9Langford, KendallDE
10Long, ChrisDE
11Quinn, RobertDE
12Sam, MichaelDE
13Sims, EugeneDE
14Brockers, MichaelDT
15Donald, AaronDT
16Westbrooks, EthanDT
17Joseph, DavinG
18Zuerlein, GregK
19Armstrong, Ray-RayLB
20Bates, DarenLB
21Dunbar, Jo-LonnLB (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
22Laurinaitis, JamesLB
23Ogletree, AlecLB
24Steward, PhillipLB
25McQuaide, JakeLS
26Bond, TravisOG
27Robinson, GregOT
28Hekker, JohnnyP
29Davis, AustinQB
30Gilbert, GarrettQB
31Hill, ShaunQB
32Cunningham, BennyRB
33Mason, TreRB
34Reynolds, ChaseRB
35Stacy, ZacRB
36Alexander, MauriceS
37Bryant, ChristianS
38Davis, CodyS
39McDonald, T.J.S
40McLeod, RodneyS
41Barksdale, JoeT
42Long, JakeT
43Person, MikeT
44Saffold, RodgerT
45Bayer, AlexTE
46Cook, JaredTE
47Harkey, CoryTE
48Kendricks, LanceTE
49Austin, TavonWR
50Britt, KennyWR
51Givens, ChrisWR
52Pettis, AustinWR
53Quick, BrianWR

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
First time I've done this, and I need a refresher course on how this works. If we start someone on IR, they are lost for the year? Is that right? I'm struggling around the edges with folks like Barrett Jones and Tru Johnson and the implications if they are not on the 53.

~~~

Here's my list of cuts or IRs (including some already done)

Rhaney, DemetriusC
Roberson, MarcusCB
Woodard, DarrenCB
Cunningham, AveryDB
Reid, GregDB
Brown, KourtneiDE
Carrington, AlexDE (yep, I went there)
Conrath, MattDT
Harlan, DeantreDT
Washington, BrandonG
Jones, BarrettG/C (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
Brown, SammyLB (IR settlement)
Hill, AaronLB
Wilson, LawrenceLB
Sabino, EtienneOLB
Bradford, SamQB (IR for year)
Pead, IsaiahRB
Watts, TreyRB
Daniels, MattS
Hooey, SeanT
Van Dyk, MitchellT
Cunningham, JusticeTE
Smelley, BradTE
Bailey, StedmanWR (suspended for 4)
Blake, EmoryWR
Franklin, AustinWR
Veltung, JustinWR

Which would mean this is my 53

1Barnes, TimC
2Wells, ScottC
3Gaines, E.J.CB
4Jenkins, JanorisCB
5Joyner, LamarcusDB
6Johnson, TrumaineCB (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
7McGee, BrandonDB
8Hayes, WilliamDE (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
9Langford, KendallDE
10Long, ChrisDE
11Quinn, RobertDE
12Sam, MichaelDE
13Sims, EugeneDE
14Brockers, MichaelDT
15Donald, AaronDT
16Westbrooks, EthanDT
17Joseph, DavinG
18Zuerlein, GregK
19Armstrong, Ray-RayLB
20Bates, DarenLB
21Dunbar, Jo-LonnLB (if IR, does that mean done for the year)
22Laurinaitis, JamesLB
23Ogletree, AlecLB
24Steward, PhillipLB
25McQuaide, JakeLS
26Bond, TravisOG
27Robinson, GregOT
28Hekker, JohnnyP
29Davis, AustinQB
30Gilbert, GarrettQB
31Hill, ShaunQB
32Cunningham, BennyRB
33Mason, TreRB
34Reynolds, ChaseRB
35Stacy, ZacRB
36Alexander, MauriceS
37Bryant, ChristianS
38Davis, CodyS
39McDonald, T.J.S
40McLeod, RodneyS
41Barksdale, JoeT
42Long, JakeT
43Person, MikeT
44Saffold, RodgerT
45Bayer, AlexTE
46Cook, JaredTE
47Harkey, CoryTE
48Kendricks, LanceTE
49Austin, TavonWR
50Britt, KennyWR
51Givens, ChrisWR
52Pettis, AustinWR
53Quick, BrianWR

I like your list, but you can't role with only 4 corners while Tru is out. Cut Davis and add Roberson or Reid. Or Gilbert and hope he makes it to the practice squad.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
First time I've done this, and I need a refresher course on how this works. If we start someone on IR, they are lost for the year? Is that right? I'm struggling around the edges with folks like Barrett Jones and Tru Johnson and the implications if they are not on the 53.~~~
Yes, if they are placed on IR they are done for the season. With the exception of having ONE PLAYER who can be designated for return.
In that case, that player is designated for return is not eligible to return for at least 8 weeks from when they are placed on IR.

So in the case of Johnson and even Jones, both will be cleared to return by Oct 1st, so placing them on IR-Designated for return would cost one of them about 4 weeks more than it would if they just kept them on the roster and made them inactive.

"Short term IR/Designated for Return: A new rule modified in 2012 allows one player per team to be reactivated from the IR list. A player with a major injury placed on the IR list must be immediately “designated for return”. The designated player is eligible to return to the active list if he has been on the IR for at least 8 weeks from the date he is placed on IR."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Injured-Reserve-rules-need-an-overhaul.html

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I like your list, but you can't role with only 4 corners while Tru is out. Cut Davis and add Roberson or Reid. Or Gilbert and hope he makes it to the practice squad.
I agree that they will forced keep an extra CB, but they wont be cutting Cody Davis. And don't be so quick to discard Woodard, for Reid or Roberson just yet. And with all the question marks on the roster (Hayes, McGee to mention just a couple) I think they will be forced to try to put Gilbert on the PS.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I agree that they will forced keep an extra CB, but they wont be cutting Cody Davis. And don't be so quick to discard Woodard, for Reid or Roberson just yet. And with all the question marks on the roster (Hayes, McGee to mention just a couple) I think they will be forced to try to put Gilbert on the PS.

Sorry, I meant Austin Davis. Forgot we had two Davis'. I know he played well, but he was borderline gone before the Cleveland game. Don't think he saved his job because of one game. But ideally Gilbert makes the practice squad if they take that risk.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Yeah, you're right, dang it. So based on the rules (thanks @CoachO ), I'd revise my list to cut 37-Bryant, Christian, S... and add
Woodard, DarrenCB

TruJo stays on the 53 rather than the 8 week IR 'cuz I think he'll be back closer to 4 weeks than 6 weeks.

Barrett Jones goes on some IR. I haven't seen enough of him to decide between the 8 week and the full year.

I think all three of Reid, Roberson and Bryant have a pretty good chance to make it through waivers to the practice squad. Unfortunately, we can only keep 53! If they do, I think all three are viable candidates to make it back onto the 53 if someone is injured.

I'm also starting to waffle on Gilbert, Garrett.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I meant Austin Davis. Forgot we had two Davis'. I know he played well, but he was borderline gone before the Cleveland game. Don't think he saved his job because of one game. But ideally Gilbert makes the practice squad if they take that risk.
I totally agree, that Austin Davis most likely would have felt the wrath of the Grim Reaper today had Bradford still been healthy. But I just don't see them being in a position to go with Gilbert as the backup. Unless they are able to bring a vet in from the cut list, (Brady Quinn was cut today), they are almost handcuffed into keeping A. Davis, and getting Gilbert to the PS.

Memphis Ram

Legend
From 75 to 53 = 21 players (Bailey suspended won't count).

Here goes:

WR Austin Franklin
WR Justin Veltung
WR Emory Blake
OL Mitchell Van Dyke
OL Travis Bond
OL Sean Hooey
OL Barrett Jones - injured reserve
TE Brad Smelley
TE Justice Cunningham
QB Garrett Gilbert
RB Trey Watts
DT Matt Conrath
DT Deandre Harlan
DE Kourtnei Brown
LB Lawrence Wilson
LB Aaron Hill
LB Etienne Sabino
S Avery Cunningham
S Christian Bryant
CB Darren Woodard
CB Greg Reid

That's my 21. If and when a veteran QB is added I'm guessing that #23 will probably come from someone like Carrington, Pettis, Givens, or Washington being dealt/release/waived.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
From 75 to 53 = 22 players.

That's my 22. If and when a veteran QB is added I'm guessing that #23 will probably come from someone like Carrington, Pettis, Givens, or Washington being dealt/release/waived.

They only have to cut 21 players, as Bailey will not count against the 53. He will actually be the 22nd when he goes onto the Suspended List.
With that being said, I think they will keep a 10th DL to start the season. Mainly because of not knowing if Hayes will be ready to go.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They only have to cut 21 players, as Bailey will not count against the 53. He will actually be the 22nd when he goes onto the Suspended List.
With that being said, I think they will keep a 10th DL to start the season. Mainly because of not knowing if Hayes will be ready to go.

Forgot about Bailey. Will edit list.

Originally it came down to Sam vs. Pettis vs. Givens vs. Carrington vs. Washington for me. Since I forgot about Bailey, I'll add Sam back. But, I still think someone from that group my be in trouble when they add a QB. That is, unless they want to go into the season with only 5 LBs or mistakenly (IMO) attempt to go with only 3 legit DTs.

Speaking of LB, it wouldn't shock me to see one of the backups replaced by a veteran pickup.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
From 75 to 53 = 21 players (Bailey suspended won't count).

Here goes:

WR Austin Franklin
WR Justin Veltung
WR Emory Blake
OL Mitchell Van Dyke
OL Travis Bond
OL Sean Hooey
OL Barrett Jones - injured reserve
TE Brad Smelley
TE Justice Cunningham
QB Garrett Gilbert
RB Trey Watts
DT Matt Conrath
DT Deandre Harlan
DE Kourtnei Brown
LB Lawrence Wilson
LB Aaron Hill
LB Etienne Sabino
S Avery Cunningham
S Christian Bryant
CB Darren Woodard
CB Greg Reid

That's my 21. If and when a veteran QB is added I'm guessing that #23 will probably come from someone like Carrington, Pettis, Givens, or Washington being dealt/release/waived.

We're very close.

You have Brandon Washington on the team where I have Travis Bond.
You have Roberson where I have Darren Woodard.
You have Alex Carrington where I have Garrett Gilbert.

Now I'm thinking about dropping Gilbert (he'll clear waivers, right?) to pick up... hmmm... Brandon Washington, because I think we were both at only 8 OL. We always have Hekker as 3rd QB on game day if the unthinkable happens, right??

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Watts is pushing Reynolds - hard.
I don't think they are competing for the same spot at all.

I think Watts, if kept, is the 4th runningback. Reynolds makes this team as a special teamer.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

We all saw what he did with the ball - and I think we all agree that Reynolds doesn't have that.

We all know what Reynolds brings on special teams and I think we all agree that Watts hasn't shown that - but he hasn't had much of a chance. I think he starts getting those chances now - and on the 2nd and 3rd string special teams that he has played on - he looked pretty good.

It's still possible that they carry 5 RBs, but less and less likely now. It's time to stockpile talent and keep the higher ceilings around.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
We all saw what he did with the ball - and I think we all agree that Reynolds doesn't have that.

We all know what Reynolds brings on special teams and I think we all agree that Watts hasn't shown that - but he hasn't had much of a chance. I think he starts getting those chances now - and on the 2nd and 3rd string special teams that he has played on - he looked pretty good.

It's still possible that they carry 5 RBs, but less and less likely now. It's time to stockpile talent and keep the higher ceilings around.
In all honesty, do you really think Watts will supplant Reynolds because of his RB skills? What are the chances as the FOURTH RB Watts ever sees the back field? Versus the contributions Reynolds will make each and every week on each and every Special Team unit?

You have to look at this as an example of not being able to keep every talented player, and that this roster has finally gotten to the point that they have to turn guys like Watts away.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
In all honesty, do you really think Watts will supplant Reynolds because of his RB skills? What are the chances as the FOURTH RB Watts ever sees the back field? Versus the contributions Reynolds will make each and every week on each and every Special Team unit?

You have to look at this as an example of not being able to keep every talented player, and that this roster has finally gotten to the point that they have to turn guys like Watts away.

I remember when Britt Miller was Mr. Special Team. Ultimately, it wasn't enough to keep him on the roster.

Core special team guys ought to be youngsters who are behind on the depth chart biding their time while they develop - not guys who are going to cap out as core special team players. That's what we are too talented nowadays to keep around.

And it's hard to say who will get carries this year. Zac Stacy is a gamer, but is taped up like a mummy every game. Cunningham has injury history and runs in pretty violent fashion.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I remember when Britt Miller was Mr. Special Team. Ultimately, it wasn't enough to keep him on the roster.

Core special team guys ought to be youngsters who are behind on the depth chart biding their time while they develop - not guys who are going to cap out as core special team players. That's what we are too talented nowadays to keep around.

And it's hard to say who will get carries this year. Zac Stacy is a gamer, but is taped up like a mummy every game. Cunningham has injury history and runs in pretty violent fashion.
I agree with you in theory, but Britt Miller has very little to do with this scenario. If Trey Watts could exceed what Reynolds brings to ST, then by all means. But that just isn't the case. And if he truly is a guy worth keeping around to develop, then he goes on the Practice Squad. He is not likely to contribute one bit from scrimmage, so why would you spend a roster spot on a lesser player in the role of core ST player?