Faulk's past or Gurley's future?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Which one are you taking?

Now this may not be much of a question, I just want to see if people are hardcore drinking the Gurley koolaide. I'd take Faulk. He is the second best RB I've ever seen. Gurley though looks like he could be one of the all time greats. Who is drinking the koolaide?

Where do you think Gurley will rank when it comes to former Rams RBs?

Lesson

Oh, really?
Are you referring to Faulk's prime vs Gurley's or Faulk's career vs Gurley's?

If it's the former, Faulk. Latter, Gurley. After 2001, Faulk never rushed for 1,000 yards in a season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll just quote Bill Parcells while he was with the Jets.

"Trying to tackle Marshall Faulk in the open field is like trying to drink coffee with a fork."

Gurley isn't in the same mold as Faulk, and I don't think he ever will be. Faulk was the total package. Running, blocking, catching, leadership. Now if you ask about Gurley and Eric Dickerson, I think you can make a case that Gurley can eventually become that type of weapon. Gurley has that kind of strength, and almost that same kind of gait. Both powerful one-cut runners who can break through arm tackles as opposed to avoiding them completely.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cool topic.

Faulk was probably the single most dangerous player I've ever seen that didn't play quarterback. So; you gotta pick him.

But where Gurley could maybe shift some consideration his way is as a pure runner. He has that Dickerson/Peterson look about him.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Which one are you taking?

Now this may not be much of a question, I just want to see if people are hardcore drinking the Gurley koolaide. I'd take Faulk. He is the second best RB I've ever seen. Gurley though looks like he could be one of the all time greats. Who is drinking the koolaide?

Where do you think Gurley will rank when it comes to former Rams RBs?
I just want to know who the best back you've seen is? At the risk of sounding like a homer (which I am) Faulk had no holes in his game, and brought more to the table than contemporaries like LT, Sanders, Emmit Smith and AP. It's true I missed out on a lot of the classics, but within the last 15-20 years, I'm hard pressed to think of a better back.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Marshall Faulk is the greatest RB I've ever seen and about the 10th best WR. To me I'd take Faulk over anyone else. Gurley is going to be good, but he's got years of production to go before he's even at Steven Jackson level. Hopefully he stays healthy and we put a decent, consistent line in front of him so he can join the greats.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Two completely different backs. Faulk was more versatile and played in a system that showcased that. Gurley is also extremely versatile but for some reason this offense doesn't use that to their advantage. I do think Faulk benefited from a MUCH better supporting cast than what Gurley is dealing with right now. As a pure runner I'd take Gurley. As an overall player I'd have to take Faulk at this point in Todd's career. However, TG3 is a transcendent talent. To average 5.3 YPC as a starter behind that offensive line and that passing game is nothing short of impressive.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wanna see Gurley at his peak....Is he 100% yet?

Plus Faulk had a super line in 1999

tempests

Hall of Fame
At his peak, Marshall was the NFL's best player.

If we could say that about Gurley one day, wow.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you referring to Faulk's prime vs Gurley's or Faulk's career vs Gurley's?

If it's the former, Faulk. Latter, Gurley. After 2001, Faulk never rushed for 1,000 yards in a season.
You can go either way with it.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just want to know who the best back you've seen is? At the risk of sounding like a homer (which I am) Faulk had no holes in his game, and brought more to the table than contemporaries like LT, Sanders, Emmit Smith and AP. It's true I missed out on a lot of the classics, but within the last 15-20 years, I'm hard pressed to think of a better back.
I was born in 1987, so I didn't get to see everybody. I rank Barry as the best.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
One thing is for sure, this franchise has had some great RBs. You go from Eric Dickerson, to Jerome Bettis, to Marshal Faulk, to Steven Jackson, to Todd Gurley! (And I'm sure there's more but I'm not that old :p)

Hope this trend continues.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
leadership.

Now if you ask about Gurley and Eric Dickerson, I think you can make a case that Gurley can eventually become that type of weapon. Gurley has that kind of strength, and almost that same kind of gait. Both powerful one-cut runners who can break through arm tackles as opposed to avoiding them completely.

I've seen a few clips that suggest Gurley may have the leadership gene too...would be great if he does

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I won't even try to compare the best of either guy against each other since Gurley has about a half a season of "career" to judge by..

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's too early to judge Gurley and they are on opposite ends of the spectrum BUT, given Gurley's possible lifespan as a Ram and current accomplishments, I might take Gurley. Faulk was amazing, but Gurley may be the better pure back. Faulk was big in the passing game, but Gurley might be too if we had that line, those QBs, and that OC.

Too soon and too much talent around Faulk and too little around Gurley.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Faulk. Different type of players, though. Faulk wouldn't be producing quite as well on this team as Gurley is. But on a good/great team, Faulk would outproduce Gurley.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Gurley, more like Dickerson. Faulk, proven to be the all around back, in any situation, and maybe the best at that.

I still like, Gurley's future. I see greatness there. I still see Gale Sayers/Arian Foster. He took a full, hard, shot in the hole, right on his thigh, and continued running full speed, rarely have I ever seen that.... 99.8% of RB's would have gone down.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Gurley, more like Dickerson. Faulk, proven to be the all around back, in any situation, and maybe the best at that.

I still like, Gurley's future. I see greatness there. I still see Gale Sayers/Arian Foster. He took a full, hard, shot in the hole, right on his thigh, and continued running full speed, rarely have I ever seen that.... 99.8% of RB's would have gone down.

I agree with you. I must say that I gave up trying to compare Gurley's running style to other backs. He has his own very unique style and he just runs like Todd Gurley. As far as running through that contact, I have almost gotten used to it being a Georgia fan. Defenders seem to just melt off TG3. It's a combination of his running style and pure size/strength. Todd's thighs are bigger than 99.8% of running backs and it shows.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I think it does need to be mentioned that Gurley has been better in his rookie season than Faulk was in his.