Fassel and Demoff Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-interim-coach-and-only-the-interim-coach/

Fassel knows he’s the interim coach — and only the interim coach
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 12, 2016

ap_16348033664465.jpg
AP

Rams interim coach John Fassel met with reporters as part of a whirlwind Monday, and Fassel was asked if he believed he has a shot at the full-time coaching job.

No,” he replied.

At least he’s honest.

The Rams fired Jeff Fisher Monday and named Fassel the interim coach. He’s been the team’s special teams coach since 2012, and he’s sounds comfortable with the fact that he might only be with the team for three more weeks.

Fassel, the son of former Giants head coach Jim Fassel, worked for the Ravens and Raiders before coming to the Rams. He told reporters that he hadn’t yet had a chance to meet with the team’s offensive and defensive coordinators. The Rams play at Seattle Thursday night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ge-possible-mistake-in-concealing-extensions/

Kevin Demoff acknowledges possible mistake in concealing extensions
Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2016

508784128-e1481595944894.jpg
Getty Images

The events of Monday explain why the Rams never formally announced (even after last weekend) that coach Jeff Fisher received a contract extension in the offseason. After Fisher was fired, Rams COO Kevin Demoff acknowledged that perhaps the deals for Fisher and G.M. Les Snead should have been announced when they were signed.

Demoff, via ESPN, explained that the Rams decided not to announce that contract extensions had been given to Fisher and Snead once the season began because they could be a “distraction.”

“Maybe that was a mistake in my part,” Demoff said.

The Rams presumably were waiting for the right moment to announce the extensions, but the right moment never came. The best opportunity arrived when the Rams won three straight games to get to 3-1. That window closed quickly as the losing commenced.

It remains to be seen whether and to what extent other changes will be made. The coach and/or G.M. targeted by owner Stan Kroenke may want Demoff to have no authority over the football operations or to be ousted entirely. Which could prompt Demoff to try to steer the process toward candidates who won’t try to render him undermined and/or unemployed.

As to Fisher, it’s widely believed that his two-year extension guarantees only 2017, limiting Kroenke’s buyout obligation. With premium products at the team’s new stadium eligible to be sold no later than February 15, it’s a small price to pay in order to get fans to purchase big-ticket items.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I hope John wears that outfit every press conference. Something about it is funny to me.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Reminds me of an oft forgotten gem from Rambo III.

Colonel Troutman: "Whaddya say, John?"

John Rambo (as played by Coach Fassel): "Fuck 'em".

Go out guns blazing, coach.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
For a guy who hasn't done the whole stand up in front of the camera stuff before he handled it reasonably well. Think he may show some emotion on the sideline. Hopefully some plays that may catch the Seahags off guard.

Talk about a baptism of fire -- @Seahagville (gulp)

GO RAMS !!!!

:lifting:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I love coach Fassel, great coach. But he's overwhelmed. Don't expect much in the way of changes over the next three games. He's just gonna ride the waves until seasons end.

bdfitz

UDFA
I like Fassel and his dad but I have to ask. How freakin' screwed up is this coaching staff if they have to reach down to the lunch pail, nice guy 17 levels over his head to lead the team, even for 3 weeks? Don't they have Williams and Dave McGinnis? I love Fassel's ST play. I'm sure he's a keeper but we're riding on the axel now. What else are we in for these next 3 weeks? Let's hope they have "the" guy in mind and just about locked up. Something tells me this was a knee jerk reaction.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like Fassel and his dad but I have to ask. How freakin' screwed up is this coaching staff if they have to reach down to the lunch pail, nice guy 17 levels over his head to lead the team, even for 3 weeks? Don't they have Williams and Dave McGinnis? I love Fassel's ST play. I'm sure he's a keeper but we're riding on the axel now. What else are we in for these next 3 weeks? Let's hope they have "the" guy in mind and just about locked up. Something tells me this was a knee jerk reaction.
If you take the time to listen to the Demoff presser, you'll get your answers.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I just sat through the whole 40+ minute Demoff pressser. End of the day... I like what he had to say, and like the path/focus moving forward. Kevin is a sharp dude, and seems to have the right priorities.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Can't help but like Coach Fassel.Aside from obviously being a great ST coach,
Just appears to be a great guy who truly loves the game.

TexasRam

Legend
Man Fassel is so over his head. I really like the guy and he is a successful special teams coach. But talk about a deer in the headlights. He doesn't exactly exude confidence lol.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Yeah, his answers didn't necessarily make me feel good about this, but I'll let the behind the scenes, which ultimately translates to what we see on the field, do the talking.

It'd be great if the reluctant guy who didn't think he was HC material wound up being the best person for the job. It'd be very Hollywood--so quite fitting. I wish him the best and hope he does a great job. We need something to cheer about.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Let's remember that Fassel's job is to keep this thing from completely falling apart. Winning a game would be icing on the cake. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For a guy who hasn't done the whole stand up in front of the camera stuff before he handled it reasonably well. Think he may show some emotion on the sideline. Hopefully some plays that may catch the Seahags off guard.

Talk about a baptism of fire -- @Seahagville (gulp)

GO RAMS !!!!

:lifting:

Fake punts on every 4th down!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

How hard can the HC gig be for Fassel ??? He walks in, tells Hekker he's running the wildcat for 3 games, don't try to block anybody...Use that arm...