Falcons hire offensive coordinator before head coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I am always skeptical of coordinators who have success under a head oach with the same specialty. How much of Seattles D is dictated by Carroll and how much is Quinn? Tough to tell.
I think it depends. Some guys are football coaches while some guys just have one side of the ball figured out.

If they serve under a guy that is simply a coordinator with the HC title then I'd be skeptical. If they are a true head coach and let their coordinators do their jobs thats different. I think Carroll is simply a head coach.

I really get a little sick of the term "______minded"...as if they were born only able to understand one side of the ball. In a lot of cases some coaches simply get a start as a position coach at a spot where there is an opening. I think there are probably more than one guys in the NFL that could coach on either side of the ball.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Still much better than Schottenheimer and IMO a good match with Fisher.

I get that he's had better years, but I am also saying he's not some "hot commodity" like some guys are when the yhave a dominant offense or defense . . . if you want better, yeah, I am for Chud. I wanted him before, but then again, I wanted Spags as HC in 2009 and I wanted Rex Ryan in 2006 . . .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
if you want better, yeah, I am for Chud. I wanted him before, but then again, I wanted Spags as HC in 2009 and I wanted Rex Ryan in 2006 . . .

Yeah I wanted Spags too and Josh McDaniels so maybe you and I should recuse ourselves.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it depends. Some guys are football coaches while some guys just have one side of the ball figured out.

If they serve under a guy that is simply a coordinator with the HC title then I'd be skeptical. If they are a true head coach and let their coordinators do their jobs thats different. I think Carroll is simply a head coach.

I really get a little sick of the term "______minded"...as if they were born only able to understand one side of the ball. In a lot of cases some coaches simply get a start as a position coach at a spot where there is an opening. I think there are probably more than one guys in the NFL that could coach on either side of the ball.

I disagree. I don't know of any coach that is both. I know of coaches that are more head coach than coordinator but they all have their roots. You don't spend 40 years plus on one side of the ball and suddenly know both. Do they understand both sides? I would hope so but do they want to coach both? Or more importantly are they equally adept at coaching both sides? If those guys are out there I would like some names because I don't know who they are.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I disagree. I don't know of any coach that is both. I know of coaches that are more head coach than coordinator but they all have their roots. You don't spend 40 years plus on one side of the ball and suddenly know both. Do they understand both sides? I would hope so but do they want to coach both? Or more importantly are they equally adept at coaching both sides? If those guys are out there I would like some names because I don't know who they are.
Bill Belichick has a defensive background...he called offensive plays a few years back after one of his OCs left (I'll have to do some research who it was in between or who he took the responsibilities away from).
Mangini was a defensive coordinator but most recently has worked as an offensive assistant and tight ends coach.
Dick Vermeil worked as both a special teams coordinator and offensive coordinator.

I'm writing from my phone right now so I'll do some more research later when I have time at my computer.

My point though isn't that a guy doesn't get more expertise with experience...just that the thought that a coach is "offensive/defensive minded". I don't think every coordinator goes into head coaching thinking one side of the ball is the philosophy that takes precedents. I think if you go into it like that you're destined for failure. You need to be able to transcend that to be a head coach.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bill Belichick has a defensive background...he called offensive plays a few years back after one of his OCs left (I'll have to do some research who it was in between or who he took the responsibilities away from).
Mangini was a defensive coordinator but most recently has worked as an offensive assistant and tight ends coach.
Dick Vermeil worked as both a special teams coordinator and offensive coordinator.

I'm writing from my phone right now so I'll do some more research later when I have time at my computer.

My point though isn't that a guy doesn't get more expertise with experience...just that the thought that a coach is "offensive/defensive minded". I don't think every coordinator goes into head coaching thinking one side of the ball is the philosophy that takes precedents. I think if you go into it like that you're destined for failure. You need to be able to transcend that to be a head coach.

Could be true but a guy like Don Shula or Mike Shanahan certainly favored the offensive side of the ball. They are just a few examples. Defense -Rex Ryan, Buddy Ryan, Bill Parcells, Jeff Fisher...etc

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams haven't been top 10 in scoring since 2006.
Since then it's been...
28th
30th
32nd
26th
32nd
25th
21st
21st

crap, I'd settle for top 20 at this point. I think Chud could manufacture at least that with a starting caliber QB and the existing offensive roster.
What were we this year, 28th, or 21st?