Falcons hire offensive coordinator before head coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Falcons hire offensive coordinator before head coach
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2015, 10:31 PM EST
508c02ccc00f839180ea35051900ffca.jpg
AP
In a move typically reserved for the more dysfunctional franchises in the NFL, the Atlanta Falcons have hired a offensive coordinator before hiring a head coach. But the Falcons are doing it only because they can’t hire the head coach they’ll be hiring for two more weeks.

Per multiple reports, former Browns, Washington, and Texans offensive coordinatorKyle Shanahan will become the offensive coordinator in Atlanta. And it’s being interpreted as further proof that Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn will become the next coach of the Falcons.

Quinn will interview a second time for the job as soon as Monday. But it’s apparently a formality at this point; in two weeks or so, Quinn will be the team’s next head coach.

Shanahan is a joystick coach, who wants his quarterback to run the offense in a precise, specific way. Quarterback Matt Ryan, 10-22 the past two years, presumably will be willing to learn Shanahan’s offense and implement it the way Shanahan wants it to be implemented.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I want Darrell Bevell, but he is looking for a head coaching job. He interviewed with Buffalo before they hired Ryan. He's been in Seattle since 2011. He's due.
What are the chances that Seattle wins another Super Bowl, their DC goes to Atlanta as HC, and the entire machine in Seattle gets dismantled? Yeah, just wishful thinking i'm sure.

Chud would be a more realistic expectation for this fan. If Fisher wanted to hire from within i don't know why it wouldn't have been finalized and announced already...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I want Darrell Bevell, but he is looking for a head coaching job. He interviewed with Buffalo before they hired Ryan. He's been in Seattle since 2011. He's due.
What are the chances that Seattle wins another Super Bowl, their DC goes to Atlanta as HC, and the entire machine in Seattle gets dismantled? Yeah, just wishful thinking i'm sure.

Chud would be a more realistic expectation for this fan. If Fisher wanted to hire from within i don't know why it wouldn't have been finalized and announced already...

I am always skeptical of coordinators who have success under a head oach with the same specialty. How much of Seattles D is dictated by Carroll and how much is Quinn? Tough to tell.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why is Chud the ROD favorite? Can someone give me a synopsis please?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get why he chose that job, with the QB and receivers in place. But they have a broke @$$ OL with Baker, Carimi and Johnson; none of those dudes can stay healthy. It's kinda strange how their season mirrored our own, for that matter, with their LT going down forcing the rook in to action and the domino effect of injuries not to mention the fact that it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Still, if you look at the overall rosters the Rams are much further ahead than the Falcons. Defense and special teams are going to pair with the under-the-radar pieces they have on offense to set up whoever they hire. All Fish has to do is make a strong hire, bring in some OL pieces, and draft a QB of the future. I might be wearing the homer glasses, I realize, but I believe this offense has some serious pieces and capability to explode in a good way next season under the right leadership.

I am always skeptical of coordinators who have success under a head oach with the same specialty. How much of Seattles D is dictated by Carroll and how much is Quinn? Tough to tell.

His D at Florida was pretty awesome also, was a TD per game better than the year before and year after he was there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

IMO he should be getting a lot more love from the media than he is and I'll explain.

When GB was holding onto a big lead he sold out to take away the run to help get his team back in the game and GB never adjusted. He took the game away from them when he had to as soon as he saw they were going to try to run out the clock rather than add to the lead.

So I hope someone thinks he is a great hire and takes him away from SEA.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why is Chud the ROD favorite? Can someone give me a synopsis please?

I have posted in other threads why I like Rob Chudzinski to be the next Rams Offensive Coordinator, but I will give you a synopsis as to why.

1. Similar system....Both Schottenheimer & Chudzinski embrace the Air Coryell system so the transition should be seamless.
  2. Productive Results...Chud has overseen offensives that have finished in the top ten of the NFL.
  3. Different Quarterbacks...He's done it with a journeyman in Derrrick Anderson and a high profile draft pick in Cam Newton.
  4. Cohesiveness...Has worked with a Head Coach that has a strong background in defense (Ron Rivera) so the adjustment to Jeff Fisher and other staff members should be solid.
  5. Strong Running Game...Has had excellent results, but still maintained creative play calling via the air.
  6. Martz Lovers....He was called by Peter King....Mike Martz without the drama.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  1. Productive Results...Chud has overseen offensives that have finished in the top ten of the NFL.

only twice, 2007 and 2011. But I am for Chud, but his resume is not iron clad, but to me, seems like best fit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams haven't been top 10 in scoring since 2006.
Since then it's been...
28th
30th
32nd
26th
32nd
25th
21st
21st

Shit, I'd settle for top 20 at this point. I think Chud could manufacture at least that with a starting caliber QB and the existing offensive roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His D at Florida was pretty awesome also, was a TD per game better than the year before and year after he was there.

His D at Florida was amazing. When I was watching Bridgewater film, I was trying to breakdown the coverages and it was damn difficult to figure out on a lot of plays if they were playing man and zone. That's how well disguised his coverages were and how well trained the defenders were.