Falcons Hire Devaney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had his share of swings and misses...but he did hit on some players that are overlooked as well.

If you ask me...Devaney's biggest mistake was hiring Spags (a move that I was in favor of at the time)...his second biggest mistake was sticking with him so long...and finally, his third biggest mistake was Jason Smith. Though, I do think a really big part of Smith's developmental problem was his injuries.

I'm glad the Rams finally have some people in place that know how to set a goal and vision and put the right people in place ot make it happen.

I don't get the sticking with him so long line. The rams went 7 and 9 in his second season and things were pointing up. The only thing that kept them going to the playoffs were his ultra conservatism once the rams got a decent lead which led to a couple of comeback wins for the opposition and a couple of bonehead Brandon Gibson plays against the whiners.

His 3rd year was a total cluster fuck, which spags brought upon himself with many questionable personnel moves.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't get the sticking with him so long line. The rams went 7 and 9 in his second season and things were pointing up. The only thing that kept them going to the playoffs were his ultra conservatism once the rams got a decent lead which led to a couple of comeback wins for the opposition and a couple of bonehead Brandon Gibson plays against the whiners.

His 3rd year was a total cluster freak, which spags brought upon himself with many questionable personnel moves.

Regarding 2010, it's easy to call "too conservative" in hindsight after they lost. I felt being conservative was what helped the team have that massive improvement since the team wasn't where they needed to be talent wise yet. And as disappointing as not going to the playoffs was, a 6 game improvement is still a massive improvement even if it wasn't a 7 game improvement instead. You go down that road, soon enough every season that is not a Super Bowl win is a complete failure.

In 2011, I didn't like the one year free agent signings at the expense of keeping youth with greater upside, but I understood why he did it. He wanted to win now to try to keep his job. Most coaches would going into that penultimate year of their contract. None of the signings worked out, but that wasn't what killed that year. It was, by far, the injuries. You can't win when the people protecting your quarterback and the people keeping the opponents from completing passes mostly did not have a job on Opening Day. I honestly don't see the greatest coach in the world doing much better under those circumstances.

I agree with you that the idea that Devaney "kept Spags too long" doesn't make sense. Nobody would have fired the guy after 2010.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

His 3rd year was a total cluster freak, which spags brought upon himself with many questionable personnel moves.

Yeah, you're right. I guess that last year just seemed like 5...

A55VA6

Legend
I didn't like Devaney all too much as a GM and as everyone else stated, hiring Spags was probably his downfall. Atleast he drafted Quinn for us! haha. I wish him the best in his new role with the Falcons.