Falcons Hire Devaney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Falcons hire former Rams G.M. Billy Devaney
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 19, 2014, 5:58 PM EST
b-devaney.jpg
AP
The Falcons continue to add former decision-makers to their personnel department.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Falcons have hired former ESPN analyst Billy Devaney as a regional scout.

Devaney’s personnel career topped out as General Manager of the Rams, but he previously worked for the Falcons under team president Rich McKay.

The Falcons also hired former Chiefs G.M. (and former NBCSN analyst) Scott Pioli as an assistant to his old friend Thomas Dimitroff.

That gives them plenty of experience in a personnel department that has become a bit of a breeding ground for young executives, with Dave Caldwell leaving for the Jaguars G.M. job, and Lionel Vital interviewing for those type of jobs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/falcons-hire-former-rams-g-m-billy-devaney/

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That was likely someone throwing a friend a bone. The NFL is a good old boys club.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He had his share of swings and misses...but he did hit on some players that are overlooked as well.

If you ask me...Devaney's biggest mistake was hiring Spags (a move that I was in favor of at the time)...his second biggest mistake was sticking with him so long...and finally, his third biggest mistake was Jason Smith. Though, I do think a really big part of Smith's developmental problem was his injuries.

I'm glad the Rams finally have some people in place that know how to set a goal and vision and put the right people in place ot make it happen.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ardunno, I think Devaney is why we have Quinn and was the lesser of two evils in the Spagvaney debacle

tonyl711

Starter
Spags was his downfall, that and trying to buy a team through FA and getting rid of promising young players to do so.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ardunno, I think Devaney is why we have Quinn and was the lesser of two evils in the Spagvaney debacle

True. Issue was that he couldn't hit on picks outside the first two rounds and majorly whiffed on Jason Smith. Pretty cruddy situation for both him and Spags but neither made it better the way they could have. Spags and his assistants didn't develop talent well. Devaney didn't find gems in the mid to late rounds.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Devaney's major flaw was his late round picks not panning out. And he had horribly bad luck to be picking in the cursed career killing draft of 2009.

But he did find us Danny Amendola off a practice squad and had the smarts to pick Robert Quinn despite the tumor.

IMO, a major reason Fisher came here was because we had good core players in place because of Devaney. (Though Chris Long doesn't count as one of them because his draft was before Devaney was GM)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Don't let him draft players outside the first round!!!

Wasn't he in when we picked J. Smith? Ugh...

I wanted Monroe just because he was the best pass protector of the class. Dude had injury concerns, though.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
True. Issue was that he couldn't hit on picks outside the first two rounds and majorly whiffed on Jason Smith. Pretty cruddy situation for both him and Spags but neither made it better the way they could have. Spags and his assistants didn't develop talent well. Devaney didn't find gems in the mid to late rounds.
We were bargain shopping for GMs and coaches both at the time, Devaney was the better value.
I remember when Linny was our HC his salary plus all his assistants were only marginally more than they'd been paying Martz ,who they fired mainly for asking for a raise.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Guys.......he got a job as a regional scout.

That's a long way down the ladder from GM.......and there are reasons for that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Devaney did a decent job bringing in some talent on a talent-depleted roster IMO.
Drafted Long,Saffold,Quinn,Laurinaitis,Kendricks.
Brought in Amendola.

The Donnie Avery pick was way too cute,he swung and missed on a 3-2 pitchers count with the Jason Smith pick and there wasn't enough drafted talent beyond the early rounds,but he wasn't a disaster as GM.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let us not forget who hired Billy D... the ring leader of the clown show himself... that's right... the director of dysfunction ... john shaw.

Fuck the falcons... they deserve him. I hate the falcons. Perfect scout for them I say.

This song popped into my head when I saw this news...

jjab360

Legend
Let us not forget who hired Billy D... the ring leader of the clown show himself... that's right... the director of dysfunction ... john shaw.

freak the falcons... they deserve him. I hate the falcons. Perfect scout for them I say.

This song popped into my head when I saw this news...

Why hate the Falcons? They did give us Snead, after all..

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Guys.......he got a job as a regional scout.

That's a long way down the ladder from GM.......and there are reasons for that.

Good for them... I guess.

Do beleive Long, Quinn, Sam, James L, and Atogwe were all drafted under him so not ALL bad.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
LOL the NFC West has seen some teams from WAY east over the years.

ATL and NO and CAR.......how did they end up in the west right

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Devaney did a decent job bringing in some talent on a talent-depleted roster IMO.
Drafted Long,Saffold,Quinn,Laurinaitis,Kendricks.
Brought in Amendola.

The Donnie Avery pick was way too cute,he swung and missed on a 3-2 pitchers count with the Jason Smith pick and there wasn't enough drafted talent beyond the early rounds,but he wasn't a disaster as GM.
He wasn't GM when the Avery pick was made. He was working for the Rams, but he wasn't the guy in charge.

That means he doesn't get the blame for Avery, but doesn't get the credit for Long either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wish Billy Devaney all the best.

I liked the man and believed in him. I think Spags really hurt BD. So did Looney.