FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah IMO the Rams need Stafford to take a discount. At least in terms of his cap hit in specific years, but hopefully he's past the ego requirement of being the most paid. 9 is chasing rings. So maybe just maybe he's learned enough and is financially secure enough to allow for that.

Dilfer mentioned that btw and I thought he had a great interview with Eisen. Say what you want about Dilfer, might be a bad QB but he's a very knowledgeable analyst and is perceptive too which not all these guys in the media are.

He also mentioned that the OL is your offensive consistency, not your skill guys. Which I think is astute in today's highlight age of media madness. Game to game it's the bigs as he says that do that for you. We saw this with the Rams, where a winless November led to McVay balancing his call sheet. I mean even in that Super Bowl he got mid-20s carries, when there was nothing going at all. To me that speaks to him ensuring the OL is not being teed off on, allowing them to fire off a bit and keeping the Bengals playing the run game. In fact that late Akers carry was another good example of that.

So going forward. Does McVay think he's got enough up front? It is going to make this offseason very interesting.
We can extend Stafford, cut a crapload of money from the cap, and still pay him well. It'll just be about allocating the money in the right spots. But yeah, if he wants $40+ million per year, that'll hurt. We'll have to get very creative there.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We can extend Stafford, cut a crapload of money from the cap, and still pay him well. It'll just be about allocating the money in the right spots. But yeah, if he wants $40+ million per year, that'll hurt. We'll have to get very creative there.
I read or heard around the time of the trade that a top tier contract wasn’t something he felt he needed.
I’ve said it before.. he’s already the 6th highest earner in NFL history.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1644971917926.png

1644973201875.png

1644973242012.png

1644973272662.png

DL

Donald: GOAT. I am assuming he returns.

Robinson: Run-stopping machine who just lived up to that contract this year.

Gaines: Run-stopping machine who also adds pressure from the interior.

Brown: I like his size and strength, work in progress.

Copeland: good young rotational DL with a couple years of control.

Hoecht: see above.

Positional outlook: of our 7 core DL only SJD will be lost to FA. So this group should return next year and remain a strength. This draft is loaded with DL too, so I think it makes sense to draft that last guy and keep feeding that unit as a team strength. There is, surprisingly, room for improvement in the form of Brown hitting year two. Which is really nice with a unit like this. Imagine if a badass DL slides to us in round 3, boy would @Loyal shit himself seeing them pass up on another Center he'll have circled in red. :laugh4:

1644973743517.png

1644973785797.png

1644973842012.png

OLB

Miller: So I've changed my mind on Miller irt us keeping him. The concern is age and him being sated, i.e. will we get that same effort through a grueling season but in this defense with him and AD challenging each other it seems like maybe we continue to see a special result. I do agree now with those that think we keep him. Rams will find a way.

Floyd: This guy has been a favorite of mine since he came aboard. I think the world of him but damn that is some heavy cap for a strong side edge. Guessing the Rams redo his deal and shake some room out of it. It is possible the Rams move him and basically sell high, as well. He is coming off a great season and few guys can set a ss edge like he can. Or they could well do nothing and be fine there too, as he has continued to be a fine part of the league's best front.

Hollins: he has grown into an excellent depth piece who can play all the LB spots. Kind of guy you need on a roster.

Lewis: it's a real advantage to have a guy that has good upside to him on the depth chart. As long as we aren't relying on him to start I think he's a real value to this roster.

Garrett: a rook who got hurt but I see him as a solid depth piece who might grow into something.

Positional outlook: if they retain Von then the only loss will be Okorongkwo who was a valuable rotational depth piece. The position looks excellent if that is how things go down. They will of course have their eyes peeled for a rusher in the draft and might add another buy-low type who knows.

If they don't retain Von then things don't look as good. They certainly don't want to lose both Von and Oko. But again it does seem like Von returns.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
The McSnead formula perfected over time is:

1) Don't sign any big name Free Agents
2) If you sign any Free Agents, make sure they were cut
3) Offload bad contracts with trades for low round draft picks
4) Trade for established big name players with high draft picks
5) Draft overlooked players that fit your system with mid round draft picks
6) Re-sign and extend the guys who deserve it and don't worry about the money

Steps 1 and 2 maximize comp picks for step 5. Step 6 is offset by step 3, so you reward your guys and if it doesn't work out that's fine. I doubt we see much of step 4 this year given we've traded away most of our high draft picks already. If we get any new big name players it'll be with step 2 and will likely be a surprise cut.

I think we re-sign at least 2 out of our 3 OL FAs to reasonable contracts and both Von Miller and OBJ re-sign. LA is the destination right now but we've already got our pieces. Get healthy and run it back!

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1644981791496.png

1644981818855.png

1644982024816.png

ILB

Jones: this guy is gonna be a player. Probably a solid starting ILB at the least, maybe more. Nice mix of physicality and mobility. Nice drops too, he has a nose for the ball in zone.

Howard: really came on when they gave him opportunities. I like his style of play paired with Jones (projecting here) though we haven't really seen it yet. Our most mobile backer and he can lay some pop on dudes. Valuable depth player.

Reeder: Rams will tender him and get that last year out of him. Has grown into a really nice depth ILB. Strong run filler and motor. Oh and I still say that he would be a better player if he'd drop weight. Get leaner 51.

Rozeboom: teams contributor who might end up doing more, good depth piece.

Compton: journeyman that probably doesn't factor in next season.

Positional outlook: ILB looks good thanks to Jones. It is the best now that it's been in a long while, I don't think we'll see significant change to the main four guys this offseason.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
View attachment 52374
View attachment 52375
View attachment 52376

ILB

Jones: this guy is gonna be a player. Probably a solid starting ILB at the least, maybe more. Nice mix of physicality and mobility. Nice drops too, he has a nose for the ball in zone.

Howard: really came on when they gave him opportunities. I like his style of play paired with Jones (projecting here) though we haven't really seen it yet. Our most mobile backer and he can lay some pop on dudes. Valuable depth player.

Reeder: Rams will tender him and get that last year out of him. Has grown into a really nice depth ILB. Strong run filler and motor. Oh and I still say that he would be a better player if he'd drop weight. Get leaner 51.

Rozeboom: teams contributor who might end up doing more, good depth piece.

Compton: journeyman that probably doesn't factor in next season.

Positional outlook: ILB looks good thanks to Jones. It is the best now that it's been in a long while, I don't think we'll see significant change to the main four guys this offseason.
Jones reminds me a lot of Littleton.... a little shorter and a little lighter.
Despite giving up a couple of inches.. Jones has the same length arms and bigger hands. Their raw combine/pro day numbers are very close. Both move in fluid and instinctive ways. Jones needs to get a little stronger, imo.. but he's going to kick ass for the Rams for the next few years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Despite giving up a couple of inches.. Jones has the same length arms and bigger hands. Their raw combine/pro day numbers are very close. Both move in fluid and instinctive ways. Jones needs to get a little stronger, imo.. but he's going to kick ass for the Rams for the next few years.
The difference in the two was you could see Littleton avoid contact even with runners in the hole at times. He was a chase guy and that hasn't changed.

Jones is physical. He speed bumped the back in pass pro on that sack. He can make a stop 1v1. I can't wait to see this guy after another camp.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The difference in the two was you could see Littleton avoid contact even with runners in the hole at times. He was a chase guy and that hasn't changed.

Jones is physical. He speed bumped the back in pass pro on that sack. He can make a stop 1v1. I can't wait to see this guy after another camp.

I think there are way more similarities than differences. They move similarly and have that same kind of football instinct.
On that sack in the Super Bowl.. it was much less about his power and more about his balance and fluidness that got him the play, in my opinion.
That's why I think they'll keep a "run down" type guy on the roster with him. He's the true 3 down guy.. but they could use beef next to him on first down.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Rams in solid salary cap shape to make a run at a repeat in 2022​

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 15, 2022
View attachment 52319

At first blush, the Rams would appear to be heading into the 2022 season in rough salary cap shape, with current contracts that put them over the 2022 cap before they sign a single free agent. But in reality, the Rams can easily get under the cap for the upcoming season, without cutting anyone.

The Rams could create more than $70 million in cap space with simple restructures, via OverTheCap.com. That means they can take players’ current 2022 base salaries, which hit the entire 2022 salary cap, and convert most of that money into signing bonuses, with cap hits that are spread out equally over all the remaining years of the players’ contracts.

The Rams have several players who have big 2022 salaries that can be converted into signing bonuses: Just six players (Matthew Stafford, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, Leonard Floyd, Robert Woods and Aaron Donald) have deals that could be restructured to create more than $60 million in cap space.

And while the Rams do have a lot of expensive players under contract in 2022, that’s a good thing, as it shows that they’re not at risk of losing many key players in free agency. Von Miller is the top player from the Super Bowl roster who will become a free agent next month, and the Rams can certainly create enough cap space to pay Miller to re-sign.

The biggest loss for the 2022 Rams may be Odell Beckham Jr., who tore his ACL in the Super Bowl. Beckham is a free agent, but whether he re-signs with the Rams or not, there’s a good chance he’ll miss the entire 2022 regular season because of his knee.

In the long term, the Rams may have some trouble sustaining their roster, given that they traded away their next two first-round draft picks for Stafford and traded away this year’s second- and third-round picks for Miller. And if Donald retires, that would be a huge loss for their roster. But as far as the salary cap is concerned, the Rams are in fine shape.

Just saw these on twitter right now too. Amazing how we structure our deals to still have flexibility when we need it. I really hope McVay and AD come back so we can try to go for the repeat. With Brady, and Brees gone and maybe Rodgers, the NFC is more open than ever.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think Jones will be a lot better than Litteton bro. He just looks more explosive and physical and has a much higher upside. He's a great blitzer as well from the ILB, when was the last time we had that?? For a rookie to make the impact he did this year while fighting injury was very impressive. One thing Raheem did in the 2nd half he was reluctant to do initially was start bringing 5 rushers. Same thing Staley did last year in all big pass situations to make sure AD got his 1-on-1. What we've been able to do is have Jones on the field to use as that 5th rusher who has an ability to drop and play coverage if need be. We were widening out our DL a lot to let Jones sit in the A-gap and occupy the center to keep him from sliding to AD. Morris really stepped his shit up in the playoffs for real. But Jones' sideline to sideline speed is great and he was all over the field Sunday. He played an excellent SB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The DL appears in good shape if Von returns.

As far as OL… A slight shake up here might not be bad. Our pass protection was great, but we could be more consistent running the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Jones will be a lot better than Litteton bro. He just looks more explosive and physical and has a much higher upside. He's a great blitzer as well from the ILB
Yeah there was a reason why Littleton was allowed to leave in FA, and it was because he was a safety masquerading as a LB. Jones is a real LB. He's already a far better ILB than Littleton ever was just by being aggressive and willing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1645010599466.png

Special Teams

Hekker: he sure dropped off fast. Rams will bring in competition here this camp at least.

Orzech: I can't recall a bad snap nor him getting trucked in protection.

Gay: he was money for us on the biggest stage and one more affordable year. I'd make him play out 2022 with a tender year.

Positional outlook: my guess is Hekker exits due to combo of play vs pay. Rams can get younger and better at punter. Not a bad storyline for a Hall of Fame career though eh? He's another likely gold jacket guy who will go out after winning it all in LA at least and he'll always be my favorite punter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1645012123176.png

CB

Ramsey: unique talent at CB who can add LB type physicality in the run game or snuff out most wideouts in this league. Big part of why we're champs.

Long: this guy got the job done down the stretch but he feels a bit weak to me as CB2.

Rochell: rook who got some snaps in big games, nice talent level we'll see how he does after another camp. Ideally he will make a big move and grab that CB2 role.

Haley: journeyman who will be on the bubble next year in camp.

Positional outlook: we're one CB deep right now in terms of having sufficient quality. Maybe 2 if Rochell makes a big move but that's still shy of what you want for contending. As things stand right now most teams would win matchups vs our CB2 and CB3 so the need at corner is going to be strong going into the draft. CB is a top need for the Rams. I'm guessing they'll look very hard at guys who can matchup and snuff out some of these weapons in the slot.

Safety

Fuller: year two saw a change in the rates of coverage calls from what Staley did and Fuller struggled a bit. He looks more comfortable on a half field in split looks and he's never been a big range guy, but he's a good young starter whose loss for the playoffs really shook the team.

Scott: still a raw guy over the top but we saw him make big plays in the playoffs like the INT vs Brady and the hit on Deebo that most other safeties on this roster won't make. Another camp and maybe we have something real in this guy. His range makes him a nice guy to handle single looks deep assuming he keeps working and improving.

Rapp: he's fine on the calls where he ends up in the box, it's the over the top stuff where he struggles, particularly reading threats in space. I don't think he will ever be that all-around guy the Rams want but he's a good athlete and sure tackler underneath.

Burgess: I like his raw athleticism and he's a valued depth option but there's a reason this guy keeps getting passed over.

Gervase: limited option who will be on the bubble next year in camp.

Positional outlook: if they can get Scott up to speed they might be in good shape here. Where we look deficient with this group is that spot opposite Fuller in two deep looks. Also in the Cover 3 calls Fuller looks a bit stretched. This position feels like one where they might add a guy who has more range and better ball skills for playing centerfield and that guy would also add competition under Scott. I'm projecting here but I think Morris is going to want that for when they play teams where you need a full box like SF. Safety feels like a need to me still but if they like Scott a lot they might think they're ok.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Why would our FAs want to leave when they are working and living in this culture, playing for championships in the greatest stadium in all sports?

Will we get a home town discount? I expect it depends on which contract each player is heading into but would expect some, for sure! After all contracts contain bonuses that players simply will not reach on lesser teams, many of which are situated in less endearing parts of the country. Players have extended families, close friends, kids in great schools, lifestyles, and so forth, here in LA that are not easily replaced

So the only question is can we afford to resign our FA players? The answer, as others here have pointed out, is mostly yes!

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Miller return on a team friendly deal. Strangely, it is less likely that we retain both OL starters even if - as expected - Whit chooses retirement

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re: hometown discounts I'll just say that stuff sounds better when you're not the guy who is looking at that big payday in FA. I mean most of us would take another job for a little more salary. With these guys you're talking way more money after a run like this.

So I'm hopeful but boy that reality seems to kick in as FA gets closer.

Great thing here for us is FA is gonna be here really quickly this year. Playing into mid-Feb sure has advantages for us. :laugh3:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I think we need to get a vet CB who can be relied upon if Long/Rochell don’t both make big steps up this next year. Nothing huge FA wise. But a decent $3-6m investment on a one year CB. Plus Miller, OBJ (cheaper now) and a couple of our OL.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He will still have a cap hit, he will have a base salary. Not like he'll be playing for vet minimum. Maybe a 1 year 10 mill deal with incentives?
I would not pay that for a guy who is going to be in rehab the entire year. At a minimum I’d get him on a 2 year deal at vet minimum with incentives for if he plays. Otherwise let him walk and someone else can pay him to rehab.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not pay that for a guy who is going to be in rehab the entire year. At a minimum I’d get him on a 2 year deal at vet minimum with incentives for if he plays. Otherwise let him walk and someone else can pay him to rehab.
He's got 1 pay day left in him, was going to be this contract. I hear you on the 1 year deal, my estimation is probably a bit steep. A 1 year prove it deal has to be at least 5 mill + incentives. The only FA who sign vet minimum deals are typically those who got cut while getting guaranteed money from previous contract (like OBJ last year) or some mid season flyer like Adrian Peterson
We shall see

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saw these on twitter right now too. Amazing how we structure our deals to still have flexibility when we need it. I really hope McVay and AD come back so we can try to go for the repeat. With Brady, and Brees gone and maybe Rodgers, the NFC is more open than ever.
You can always manipulate the cap it's just pushing the can down the road so to speak. It would be nice if you didn't have to but we made some contract mistakes and have to do these kind of things occasionally.