FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ will have no cap hit if he's with the Rams next season. He'll get an incentive heavy deal, if he stays.
He will still have a cap hit, he will have a base salary. Not like he'll be playing for vet minimum. Maybe a 1 year 10 mill deal with incentives?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will still have a cap hit, he will have a base salary. Not like he'll be playing for vet minimum. Maybe a 1 year 10 mill deal with incentives?
Go lower base pay and give him game day active bonuses of like $500k and TD/playoff bonuses. That's what you do with a 1 year deal for somebody coming off that kind of injury. I think it's almost a guarantee he signs with us to rehab at our facilities and get the Rams to foot the bill which they likely do. Keeps him at home with this baby momma and he does it with Reggie Scott's team.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think we save 13mil with Whit retiring so that helps

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1644877939563.png

OL

Havenstein: excellent RT at a great price plus team control.
Edwards: solid OG might even factor into OT plans though only one season left.
Shelton: likely our starting Center for 2022.

Evans: a bit behind the curve for his class, not sure he's good enough but we have another year.
Anchrum: solid depth at OT/OG.
A Jackson: solid depth OT who has shown a lot for his experience level, might have something here.

D Jackson: probably depth at best, undersized meh.
Ealy: bubble guy at best.

Positional outlook: First off I think Whitworth is retired and Corbett and Allen are gone. Neither of the FAs offer anything special that would lead the Rams to retain them. Noteboom looks like solid LT material though the sample size is somewhat small, and is likely to return. So my count is 6 NFL players on this roster, 7 if they retain Noteboom. This insinuates that if they keep Boom they will draft one or two OL for the pipeline.

If they don't keep Boom which is unlikely but possible then the roster size of 6 and only Hav being paid means they're making a run at a FA for the LT position or maybe the interior. And whether that happens or not we're talking more fresh blood for the pipeline.

Depth Chart (Noteboom retained in FA):

LT: Noteboom / A Jackson
LG: Edwards
C: Shelton / DRAFT
RG: Evans / Anchrum
RT: Havenstein / DRAFT

Notes: in this depth chart there is more consistency with the group but less room to improve next season. I am of the mind that improvement will be desired so not sure this gets it done.

Depth Chart (No FAs retained):

LT: A Jackson

Notes: in this depth chart if they don't retain Boom they will add a FA who upgrades the OL. It would likely be a LT like Armstead as the target, however if they really like A Jackson it might be an interior add.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Big Whit retire? Did I miss something?
He said on the Rich Eisen show a couple weeks ago that he had a hard time seeing himself coming back next year. All things considered it's a great thing for him to be able to walk away winning the Super Bowl and the WPMOY award which to him is a huge deal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Depth Chart (Noteboom retained in FA):

LT: Noteboom / A Jackson

Poor Shelton being surrounded by Evans & Edwards, ... I see catastrophe.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've been leaning a guard draft pick or free agent pickup for a while now.

The other thing is that all 3 of those interior linemen (Edwards, Shelton & Evans) are eligible for free agency following the 2022 season, and that's not a position we are going to want to find ourselves in.
I keep Allen because we should be able to retain him shorter term & fairly cheap due to his injury/absence history. I'd probably use my highest 2022 draft pick on an OG to hopefully replace Corbett as quickly as possible, with someone like Anchrum filling in until the new guy is up to speed.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be fine with keeping Allen if he's cheap. But teams are stupid in FA. We're a Super Bowl winner. Some dumb team is gonna throw money at him.

He's not the guy it is wise to throw money at. He's the guy teams end up cutting two years later after realizing they made a mistake.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other thing is that all 3 of those interior linemen (Edwards, Shelton & Evans) are eligible for free agency following the 2022 season, and that's not a position we are going to want to find ourselves in.
I keep Allen because we should be able to retain him shorter term & fairly cheap due to his injury/absence history. I'd probably use my highest 2022 draft pick on an OG to hopefully replace Corbett as quickly as possible, with someone like Anchrum filling in until the new guy is up to speed.
jmo.
And we've seen that Snead and McVay will draft for a need like that due to free agency a year early so maybe 2 drafted even with 8 picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a question for you... What do you think Noteboom's cost will be vs that of Armstead (with the assumption he will test FA due to their cap situation). Their respective cap hits per year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a question for you... What do you think Noteboom's cost will be vs that of Armstead (with the assumption he will test FA due to their cap situation). Their respective cap hits per year.
Take it with a grain of salt cause they aren't accurate but spotrac has his estimated market value is $23.9 million a year. The best of them are around $20 million a year right now with the average including rookie deals being about $13 million. Both Armstead and Boom have had injury issues. I'd say if they want to sign him to start you're looking at about what what we'd have paid Whitworth next year.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'd be fine with keeping Allen if he's cheap. But teams are stupid in FA. We're a Super Bowl winner. Some dumb team is gonna throw money at him.

He's not the guy it is wise to throw money at. He's the guy teams end up cutting two years later after realizing they made a mistake.
How amazing would it have been to have Creed starting at C and Shelton at guard next year. Would've solved all our problems fuck lol. I agree Shelton gets the nod but I suspect we'll have a plan to improve guard next year. Edwards and Corbett were average IMO. And Whit is definitely retiring and given Notebooms injury history he can't sign for legit LT money I wouldn't think.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

All I know is that if both Corbett & Allen walk in free agency, we'll be in bad shape considering our present depth. Shelton can easily replace Allen, but we would still need to spend a draft pick for a back-up Center, and in the later rounds, no determining how that works out.
I like Shelton and can just as easily see him replacing Edwards in 2023 at LG if he's lost to free agency. Still, before Edwards becomes history, I'd like to find out what he might do as a back-up OT. Corbett may have some extra value as a back-up Center, but that's unproven, and outside of Noteboom, he's likely to be the most costly of our offensive linemen to retain. Evans & Anchrum seem like risky bets as OG starters, so hopefully McSnead & Carberry can come up with a quality alternative.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And we've seen that Snead and McVay will draft for a need like that due to free agency a year early so maybe 2 drafted even with 8 picks.

I could easily live with that ...

If only Creed Humphrey ... but let's not rehash that, although we'd have so much less grief fixing this OL.

Last edited: